User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 07:03 AM   #53461
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,572
Snow is blowing 100 mph and some wise guy is posting ride pics

Nice pictures Walter, looked like a fun trip!
Old 02-10-2013, 08:55 AM   #53462
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
East Coast is goin a lil snow crazy

Jeez, Harold, you used to be such a happy guy!

Old 02-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #53463
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l View Post
When I rode through there in 2011, I figured I would post those pictures when I got home. Never got around to doing it.

Walter
Better late then never. Great pics Walter! Thanks for sharing.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:39 AM   #53464
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,012

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
Jeez, Harold, you used to be such a happy guy!

On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died. The only thing that comes to those who wait is old age. Too many dreams.... Not enough time. Not Scared of dying. Not scared of living. Just scared of the pain that separates the two...
kenny61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #53465
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
Kenny, man, you musta been really jonesin' for a ride!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #53466
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l View Post
When I rode through there in 2011, I figured I would post those pictures when I got home. Never got around to doing it. Walter
That must have been a soul-cleansing trip... looks fantabulous!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 02-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #53467
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,372
New Dash

I am getting ready to fabricate a new dash for the pig. I decided to actually do some preplanning before I just start hacking and drilling like I typically do (maybe avoid the big pile of scrap when I get done this time). I want to include LED indicator lights a new ignition switch (scooter switch), a 12V outlet and the toggle for my grip heaters and, of course my Vector. Here's what I am thinking about:

Thoughts? Observations? WTF were you thinking?
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #53468
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 335
Oh dear.... (Or, "What would Spud do?")

Well, good news and bad news.

First of all, I can confirm that the old advertising catch copy is true: You DO meet the nicest people on a Honda. I am sure that you would all agree with me that this site is replete with very nice, helpful XL riders, who would go out of their way to help someone else. In my case, I am indebted to SuperSamurai.

On the pretense of checking our bikes for Dave's Mod (or, lack thereof), I rode over to SuperSamurai's ranch yesterday. In spite of living in the same county (he on the peninsula, I on an island), and the fact that a straight shot is only 8 miles away, somehow it is a 75 mile round trip to get there/back. Thus, we had never met before.

In spite of the 39F, misty weather, we decided to check for the Mod, and used SS's cavernous garage (heated with wood stove), and tore into my carburetor. Well, it turns out that both of our bikes have had Dave's Mod completed, and both have the Dyno kit installed. In both cases the previous owner knew nothing about the Mod, so we had to do some exploratory to find out--kind of wish that there were a "Dave's Mod" sticker on the bike. With SS's assistance, I went down from the 165/50 jet combo (not a typo) to 155/52. As it says in my tag, I am not mechanically experienced, and SS was super helpful, and the surgery was painless. We took the opportunity to look around the bike a bit more.

And then, disaster...

We took off the left crank case cover to check the splines on the countershaft. See for yourself.

As you can see, the splines are in terrible shape. The previous owner installed aftermarket gearing (14/48), and the teeth on the inside of the primary drive (front) sprocket are also damaged. To top it off, the fixing plate (the retainer for the front sprocket) is also beat up, so much so that the fixing plate and front sprocket are both very loose on the countershaft.

As can be seen, the "outside half" of the countershaft is down to perhaps 1/4 of the original spline. Once I got beyond the shock of the situation, I asked SuperSamurai what could be done (to at least be able to ride the bike home...). Being a very capable mechanic, he went to work.

First, he found some appropriately sized spacers (washers). Next after confirming that they would fit over the countershaft, he suggested placing them between the fixing plate and the primary drive sprocket, to push the sprocket deeper on the countershaft. There was a problem, in that the 2 retaining bolts on the fixing plate blocked mounting of the spacers. No problem: Just grind the spacers.

I have to tell you, this guy is capable.

After re-installing the fixing plate, the primary drive and two spacers all fit nice and tightly. At least this fix will hold for a while.

Now, for the question. What should I do next? Given the $$$ involved in splitting the case to replace the countershaft, I would really rather avoid this option. (It might be a blessing in disguise, because I have always wanted to install a kickstart from the XR. Just, not now.) I had planned on installing the XR countershaft sprocket just this week. I think that I will order it anyway, and see what it is like. If I can get it to mount deeply on the countershaft, with or without the spacers, then this might give me some time. Honestly, that seems to be my only hope for now. I am open to advice.

Honestly, hat's off to all of you guys for the helping hand, especially SuperSamurai.

PD

purpledrake screwed with this post 02-10-2013 at 12:13 PM
purpledrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #53469
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
I am getting ready to fabricate a new dash for the pig. I decided to actually do some preplanning before I just start hacking and drilling like I typically do (maybe avoid the big pile of scrap when I get done this time). I want to include LED indicator lights a new ignition switch (scooter switch), a 12V outlet and the toggle for my grip heaters and, of course my Vector. Here's what I am thinking about:

First let me say that I think it's a great idea to put all that stuff in a solid mount like that, I'm toying with the idea myself....

A few questions and observations (all constructive of course)
1. Are you left handed? I get that having the switches on the left eases switching while riding but if you put the ignition on the right you may be able to spread that stuff out more, and if you have more than just your bike key on your key ring it could interfere with the indicators or hit the toggle switch or for even more fun possibly ground your 12v accessory you have plugged in.
2. Having the 12v output there would be really easy to do and make getting to it easy, but if you are planning on powering GPS, a phone or some other thing the wire for it may flop/flap all over your dash.
3. If I were making a sweet dash like you are with all the stuff in one spot so I wouldn't have to splice into numerous places for power (another thing I like about it) I would have the ignition on the right side, the indicators below the bottom of the vector, the grip heater to the left of the vector and the 12v outlet as high left as possible to keep wires out of the way and to make them easier to tuck behind the dash if you don't want to permanently attach them.

Just my $.02, but FWIW I'm thinking about doing a very similar thing to mine that will give me a grip heater switch and a 12v outlet.

-Barron
Old 02-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #53470
ADV BUM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:

Would it be easier and more cost effective to use the dash with indicator lights that trailtech offers and then incorporate that into the mount you are designing.
ADV BUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:20 PM   #53471
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Kenny, man, you musta been really jonesin' for a ride!

That one was from 2 years ago when i had full knobbies on it
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died. The only thing that comes to those who wait is old age. Too many dreams.... Not enough time. Not Scared of dying. Not scared of living. Just scared of the pain that separates the two...
Old 02-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #53472
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
Well, good news and bad news.

First of all, I can confirm that the old advertising catch copy is true: You DO meet the nicest people on a Honda. I am sure that you would all agree with me that this site is replete with very nice, helpful XL riders, who would go out of their way to help someone else. In my case, I am indebted to SuperSamurai.

On the pretense of checking our bikes for Dave's Mod (or, lack thereof), I rode over to SuperSamurai's ranch yesterday. In spite of living in the same county (he on the peninsula, I on an island), and the fact that a straight shot is only 8 miles away, somehow it is a 75 mile round trip to get there/back. Thus, we had never met before.

In spite of the 39F, misty weather, we decided to check for the Mod, and used SS's cavernous garage (heated with wood stove), and tore into my carburetor. Well, it turns out that both of our bikes have had Dave's Mod completed, and both have the Dyno kit installed. In both cases the previous owner knew nothing about the Mod, so we had to do some exploratory to find out--kind of wish that there were a "Dave's Mod" sticker on the bike. With SS's assistance, I went down from the 165/50 jet combo (not a typo) to 155/52. As it says in my tag, I am not mechanically experienced, and SS was super helpful, and the surgery was painless. We took the opportunity to look around the bike a bit more.

And then, disaster...

We took off the left crank case cover to check the splines on the countershaft. See for yourself.

As you can see, the splines are in terrible shape. The previous owner installed aftermarket gearing (14/48), and the teeth on the inside of the primary drive (front) sprocket are also damaged. To top it off, the fixing plate (the retainer for the front sprocket) is also beat up, so much so that the fixing plate and front sprocket are both very loose on the countershaft.

As can be seen, the "outside half" of the countershaft is down to perhaps 1/4 of the original spline. Once I got beyond the shock of the situation, I asked SuperSamurai what could be done (to at least be able to ride the bike home...). Being a very capable mechanic, he went to work.

First, he found some appropriately sized spacers (washers). Next after confirming that they would fit over the countershaft, he suggested placing them between the fixing plate and the primary drive sprocket, to push the sprocket deeper on the countershaft. There was a problem, in that the 2 retaining bolts on the fixing plate blocked mounting of the spacers. No problem: Just grind the spacers.

I have to tell you, this guy is capable.

After re-installing the fixing plate, the primary drive and two spacers all fit nice and tightly. At least this fix will hold for a while.

Now, for the question. What should I do next? Given the $$$ involved in splitting the case to replace the countershaft, I would really rather avoid this option. (It might be a blessing in disguise, because I have always wanted to install a kickstart from the XR. Just, not now.) I had planned on installing the XR countershaft sprocket just this week. I think that I will order it anyway, and see what it is like. If I can get it to mount deeply on the countershaft, with or without the spacers, then this might give me some time. Honestly, that seems to be my only hope for now. I am open to advice.

Honestly, hat's off to all of you guys for the helping hand, especially SuperSamurai.

PD
Next Step is to put a new shaft in it
Old 02-10-2013, 12:36 PM   #53473
dckiteboards
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
I just got a 2003 xr400 and dood i bought it from cleaned the carb before i picked it up and the bike starts on the first kick everytime, however I went to ride it the other day around 7000ft temps were in the 50s and it ran great in the beginning and then all of the sudden it started sorta choking on hard acceleration and then goes away on high Rr's . I immediately thought a fuel /air issue but didn't have any tools or time to take it apart there.

Flats or downhill it seemed pretty decent but when you put strain on it it sputtered. It still idles perfect and starts up. now air filter was EXTREMELY dirty so I recently replaced that and im draining the fuel to hopefully get at the in tank filter to clean it /remove it ! and add a inline filter then.

I read a few things being maybe a bad coil etc.? snow is now on the ground for another few days until the sun comes out and the streets will clear then i will try her again! oil was just changed as well to a 10-40 synblend.

maybe bad float adjustment? im decent with this stuff but no expert my local shop charges over a 100 per hour so im not paying that.

Thanks
Chris
dckiteboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #53474
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:

Are you a southpaw?
Old 02-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #53475
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dckiteboards View Post
I just got a 2003 xr400 and dood i bought it from cleaned the carb before i picked it up and the bike starts on the first kick everytime, however I went to ride it the other day around 7000ft temps were in the 50s and it ran great in the beginning and then all of the sudden it started sorta choking on hard acceleration and then goes away on high Rr's . I immediately thought a fuel /air issue but didn't have any tools or time to take it apart there.

Flats or downhill it seemed pretty decent but when you put strain on it it sputtered. It still idles perfect and starts up. now air filter was EXTREMELY dirty so I recently replaced that and im draining the fuel to hopefully get at the in tank filter to clean it /remove it ! and add a inline filter then.

I read a few things being maybe a bad coil etc.? snow is now on the ground for another few days until the sun comes out and the streets will clear then i will try her again! oil was just changed as well to a 10-40 synblend.

maybe bad float adjustment? im decent with this stuff but no expert my local shop charges over a 100 per hour so im not paying that.

Thanks
Chris
Ig he had to clean it due to a dirt issue in carb it is very possible another piece of dirt got in there