Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 08:13 PM   #53536
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
You're welcome. I'm glad you took the time to inspect your countershaft splines. I don't think you have anything to lose by trying the XR650R C/S sprocket. I suggest you get either a PBI, or Moose Racing, XR650R C/S sprocket, which will ease installation over the damaged splines.

Once again, I encourage every XR650L owner to examine his countershaft splines for wear. If you see even a hint of rust on either the C/S sprocket, or the countershaft itself, the splines are wearing down.

Spud
It looks like dcparks could benefit from a new retainer to go with that new sprocket.

Of course the shaft is going to wear at the splines whenever it's in operation. However, shaft splines which are well lubricated during operation will wear significantly less than splines which are dry.

It's interesting how this stuff comes up over and over, yet each time finds new eyes.

Thanks for making things clear and easy for people, Spud.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #53537
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
I've tried a number of different, XR650R C/S sprockets. All of them use up the available contact area on the countershaft splines, and none fit tighter than others. Therefore, I prefer ease of installation. Also, grinding on the C/S sprockets probably doesn't hurt them, but it certainly doesn't help them.

Spud
i used the jt 650r sprocket on my xrl and it went on with no grinding. i barely got the retainer on though. it was tight!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #53538
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
i used the jt 650r sprocket on my xrl and it went on with no grinding. i barely got the retainer on though. it was tight!
Tight is good!
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #53539
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Tight is good!
yea if i remember correctly i lubed my splines on my xrl and got about 40,000 before i saw a little bit of wear. then i put the 650r sprocket on and it was tight with no play. after another 20,000 miles on the 650r sprocket there was no play at all still. with no play or movement i think the wear problem is gone. just replace the sprocket from chain to teeth wear from then on.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #53540
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
I am a born and bred SMIB. I left So Md in '86 right before I left I sold my '74 Z-1 I had not figured out this dirt thing.

I rode the GDR with ScottyP, H14 and Jax this past summer.
Gotcha... you grew up with SP and/or JO and came back for a visit. H14 is my neighbor. That's unfortunate about the collarbone break; I trust all will be treated and healed as good as new. Others I've known who broke their collarbone have healed with no continuing issues. When you rode here did you ride an XRL? How'd you get it out here?
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #53541
the come back kid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Smoking XRL

I have an 08 XRL that smokes just a small amount all the time, but will put out clouds of smoke on start up only on occasion. Sometimes when warm sometimes when cold. It has under 8k, but I believe the problem is from long wheelies. I have heard of similar issues from too much time on the rear wheel. I am planning on tearing apart the top end and installing new rings and getting some work done on the head (valve job, new seals, and maybe guides). I am looking for input on what to look for and what inmates with issues like this have found to be the common damage done by extended time on the rear wheel. Thanks CBK
the come back kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:35 PM   #53542
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 23,678
Whats up Alex. I got UPST8's brothers old one (Jeff?) Mine was out of round Cylinder and worn valve. Let me know if you need a hand
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #53543
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,467
Quote:
That stinks, Falcon. You can practically plate a riding lawnmower, here in Idaho. When I titled my CRF250X at the DMV, I filled out a dual sport form at the same time. I walked out of the DMV in ten minutes, with my license plate in hand. I had not done any street legal modifications at that time, and I didn't even need to present the bike for an inspection.

In Idaho, all you need is a headlight, tail light, brake light, horn, and a single mirror. You can mount a clown horn, if you like. The police don't bother us here.

Spud
Yeah, in Oregon if the title says "off road" or "dirtbike" then you are pretty much screwed. Sometimes you can get factory paperwork showing that it passes emissions and what-not, but usually doesn't work. I guess a few years ago it wasn't so bad. You can still find a good number of older 600R's, 650R's, and some CRF450's that are plated already, but you won't be getting one plated now if it isn't already.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:48 PM   #53544
the come back kid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
Whats up Alex. I got UPST8's brothers old one (Jeff?) Mine was out of round Cylinder and worn valve. Let me know if you need a hand
Jeff and I did some very long side by side wheelies, it was worth it!
the come back kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:09 PM   #53545
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit54016 View Post
I have a kicker on mine. The bike starts relatively easy with it. I think the auto decompression helps.
Thanks, Mr.FixIt.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #53546
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
Yep... Here's the bits and pieces that I used:
Thank you, Red
Old 02-10-2013, 09:29 PM   #53547
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l View Post
The xr650r sprocket is a short term solution. The wear will be concentrated on the unworn section of the splines that the wider 650r sprocket contacts. That unworn section of the spline will wear down to match the rest. You might get another 10 to 15K out of the shaft if you keep the RPMs up.
This is your best short term option. Then after that wore down, if you really didn't want to split the cases yet you could weld a sprocket on the shaft and go until that sprocket wore out. It's a hack job but I've seen it done a few times.

After that you have no more options, except to maybe weld another on.

My carb had the same 50/165 jetting from the PO.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:47 PM   #53548
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
What am I missing?
The finished product? The original looked great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
I have a factory mirror on the left, and one of these on the right:

http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/...tm?Click=35177
Thanks for the link, and all the positive reviews on here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit54016 View Post
Actually, Honda just announced that they will be selling a CRF450 Rally replica bike to help support private racers that want to compete in the long distance races. I hope they are avaialable in the US and some of us can dualsport these beautiful machines.
We were just talking about that bike not too long ago. Some here might be able to dual sport them, but not me.
The rally "kit" is rumored to run around $10,000. That's just the kit, not the entire bike!

Old 02-10-2013, 10:05 PM   #53549
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
I am a born and bred SMIB. I left So Md in '86 right before I left I sold my '74 Z-1 I had not figured out this dirt thing.

I rode the GDR with ScottyP, H14 and Jax this past summer.
and you personally delivered 6USMC6's KTM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Yeah, in Oregon if the title says "off road" or "dirtbike" then you are pretty much screwed. Sometimes you can get factory paperwork showing that it passes emissions and what-not, but usually doesn't work. I guess a few years ago it wasn't so bad. You can still find a good number of older 600R's, 650R's, and some CRF450's that are plated already, but you won't be getting one plated now if it isn't already.
Virginia is the same way but you can get a dealer to dual sport a brand new dirt bike and get the proper paper work to tag it. You may want to look into that option with your local dealer.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:06 PM   #53550
dcparks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Thumb munched CS - thanks all

cheers for the collective wisdom. will go with the 650r css, lube the shaft, get it on tight, and keep an eye on it for now. and save my pennies.

Thanks for the invite, purpledrake, will look you up next time i head down that way, and let me know if you make it up this way.
dcparks is offline   Reply With Quote