Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 12:29 AM   #53551
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
The rust is just rust , has nothing to do with the wear. Unprotected steel rusts. Dont lube your chain it rusts , doesnt mean its worn.
As the sprocket slowly grinds down the countershaft splines it produces a fine metallic dust. The increased surface area of these small particles accelerates oxidation, and produces a powdery rust which is usually visible on both the countershaft sprocket and the countershaft itself. This powdery rust is very different from the usual rust one sees on the drive chain, or other areas of the motorcycle.

Therefore, before installing the countershaft sprocket, it is wise to lubricate the countershaft itself with grease. This grease helps to reduce the grinding friction; it also helps to prevent oxidiation, which might further accelerate the damage to the countershaft splines.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 12:34 AM
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:08 AM   #53552
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,483
At the risk of offending the gurus here, may I ask what chain everyone uses these days?

The reason I ask is that nowadays we have t rings, o rings and now x rings. I have 2 Crf450s hence my confusion :)

Since my xr is a 2000 model I grew up using o ring chains. But which chain do I use nowadays ?
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:24 AM   #53553
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
Like this?
Yeah man! That's pretty cool, if I go back to the vector, vapor or voyager I might just do something like that . I had to put the OEM dash back on for my tour here but like you said, its cool to have everything in one unit instead of spread all over.

-Barron
Old 02-11-2013, 06:58 AM   #53554
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
Yeah man! That's pretty cool, if I go back to the vector, vapor or voyager I might just do something like that . I had to put the OEM dash back on for my tour here but like you said, its cool to have everything in one unit instead of spread all over.

-Barron
So... how's things at Yokusuka? Zama is the one place from a 21 year career that I genuinely miss. Good times!
ThumpnRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:03 AM   #53555
WMD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Pigs can fly...who knew

Took my big red pig to Highland Park Ga this wknd. After getting well versed on the single-trac I decided to try the moto course.
2nd pic is a 30' step-down...I'm still puckered.

This thing takes off like the space shuttle and lands like the Titanic.

WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #53556
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Took my big red pig to Highland Park Ga this wknd. After getting well versed on the single-trac I decided to try the moto course.
2nd pic is a 30' step-down...I'm still puckered.

This thing takes off like the space shuttle and lands like the Titanic.

If you are going to keep that up, you need to think about reworking your suspension. Perhaps pick up a spare frame when you see one for cheap
ThumpnRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:40 AM   #53557
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Oddometer: 4,151
Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #53558
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l View Post
The xr650r sprocket is a short term solution. The wear will be concentrated on the unworn section of the splines that the wider 650r sprocket contacts. That unworn section of the spline will wear down to match the rest. You might get another 10 to 15K out of the shaft if you keep the RPMs up.

The proper and best fix is to split the cases and put in a new shaft. I suggest you start studying Steve's engine rebuild thread. If you start now you should be able to have it fixed by the time the weather warms up. If you really don't want to tackle it Pm Steve and see if he will do it for you. It seems like he does that from time to time. I'm betting he does a better job than most shops. Or send it to CW and have it made into a 750.

Walter
I bet Steve and CW know this engine better than any shop. An average shop my tear into one deeply every year or two, and is it even totes same mechanic?
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:54 AM   #53559
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Thanks for confirming the good report on the Kean Sean Mirrors, Red! I'm definitely going to get these mirrors for my CRF250X.

Spud
Awesome Spud!
Old 02-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #53560
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Thank you, Red. I'll probably be selling the KDX220 this spring. I like 4-strokes better than 2-strokes, and I prefer Hondas to Kawasakis.

The previous owner replaced all four valves in the CRF250X with Kibblewhite, stainless steel valves, so I don't think the CRF250X will be any harder to maintain than the KDX220. However, time will tell.

Spud
Spud those bikes need very frequent air filter, and oil service intervals. Otherwise the motors live in dog years. Synthetic oil too!
Old 02-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #53561
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Last time I brought it up with her, she acted like it didn't interest her much anymore. She didn't get to ride much, really - and right now I think she's just too busy working and finishing up school to think about it.
Thank you for your other kind words. I don't get to do all I want, but I feel like I can leave earth at any time now and feel like I've earned my keep on the planet. I'm sure you know the feeling. Peace!
Yes I do....and its a nice feeling Getting older aint as bad as I thought it would be

Quote:
I hadn't heard of the Emgo's so I looked them up now and those are the mirrors that my XR250 has, the PO installed.

Right on, brother. You've been paying attention as the years have accumulated.
I try I"m so glad I got back into dualsporting.....honestly I was getting bored with strictly street riding. Plus you guys here are awesome

Quote:
I have a mental block now; I can't clear the phrase "great minds think alike" from my mind now, for some reason.

I think getting older gracefully, with a little spirituality added in, has kept us on a good path
Old 02-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #53562
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by the come back kid View Post
I have an 08 XRL that smokes just a small amount all the time, but will put out clouds of smoke on start up only on occasion. Sometimes when warm sometimes when cold. It has under 8k, but I believe the problem is from long wheelies. I have heard of similar issues from too much time on the rear wheel. I am planning on tearing apart the top end and installing new rings and getting some work done on the head (valve job, new seals, and maybe guides). I am looking for input on what to look for and what inmates with issues like this have found to be the common damage done by extended time on the rear wheel. Thanks CBK

I'll bet ya a dollar to a donut that you have cooked the piston. I bought a basket case XRL some years ago that the PO blew due to long wheelies. Oil starved the pump and that's all she wrote for that motor.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #53563
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
That must have been a soul-cleansing trip... looks fantabulous!
I agree....the pictures alone have cleared my soul a little...gorgeous
I'm so inspired by them, I'm warming up the garage and bike with space heaters, to do an early morning oil change on the xrl. Been putting it off.....too cold, but Walter has inspired me
Old 02-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #53564
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
Well, good news and bad news.

First of all, I can confirm that the old advertising catch copy is true: You DO meet the nicest people on a Honda. I am sure that you would all agree with me that this site is replete with very nice, helpful XL riders, who would go out of their way to help someone else. In my case, I am indebted to SuperSamurai.

On the pretense of checking our bikes for Dave's Mod (or, lack thereof), I rode over to SuperSamurai's ranch yesterday. In spite of living in the same county (he on the peninsula, I on an island), and the fact that a straight shot is only 8 miles away, somehow it is a 75 mile round trip to get there/back. Thus, we had never met before.

In spite of the 39F, misty weather, we decided to check for the Mod, and used SS's cavernous garage (heated with wood stove), and tore into my carburetor. Well, it turns out that both of our bikes have had Dave's Mod completed, and both have the Dyno kit installed. In both cases the previous owner knew nothing about the Mod, so we had to do some exploratory to find out--kind of wish that there were a "Dave's Mod" sticker on the bike. With SS's assistance, I went down from the 165/50 jet combo (not a typo) to 155/52. As it says in my tag, I am not mechanically experienced, and SS was super helpful, and the surgery was painless. We took the opportunity to look around the bike a bit more.

And then, disaster...

We took off the left crank case cover to check the splines on the countershaft. See for yourself.

As you can see, the splines are in terrible shape. The previous owner installed aftermarket gearing (14/48), and the teeth on the inside of the primary drive (front) sprocket are also damaged. To top it off, the fixing plate (the retainer for the front sprocket) is also beat up, so much so that the fixing plate and front sprocket are both very loose on the countershaft.

As can be seen, the "outside half" of the countershaft is down to perhaps 1/4 of the original spline. Once I got beyond the shock of the situation, I asked SuperSamurai what could be done (to at least be able to ride the bike home...). Being a very capable mechanic, he went to work.

First, he found some appropriately sized spacers (washers). Next after confirming that they would fit over the countershaft, he suggested placing them between the fixing plate and the primary drive sprocket, to push the sprocket deeper on the countershaft. There was a problem, in that the 2 retaining bolts on the fixing plate blocked mounting of the spacers. No problem: Just grind the spacers.

I have to tell you, this guy is capable.

After re-installing the fixing plate, the primary drive and two spacers all fit nice and tightly. At least this fix will hold for a while.

Now, for the question. What should I do next? Given the $$$ involved in splitting the case to replace the countershaft, I would really rather avoid this option. (It might be a blessing in disguise, because I have always wanted to install a kickstart from the XR. Just, not now.) I had planned on installing the XR countershaft sprocket just this week. I think that I will order it anyway, and see what it is like. If I can get it to mount deeply on the countershaft, with or without the spacers, then this might give me some time. Honestly, that seems to be my only hope for now. I am open to advice.

Honestly, hat's off to all of you guys for the helping hand, especially SuperSamurai.

PD
The XRR sprocket will fit way back on the shaft and use the good area of splines you still have, similar to what you've done now, but better imo. I know it looks bad, but if you get a new retainer plate to go along with the xrr sprocket.....it should be a nice tight fit even with the damaged splines.
As you can see, the stock sprocket only uses part of the splines anyway....and you made it this far. You might be able to get quite a bit more life out of that shaft yet with a new retainer and XRR front sprocket using the remaining good splines

I've read of several guys who put XRR sprockets on severly damaged shafts they thought were hopeless....and ran the bikes that way for a long time. In fact I don't remember reading any posts on them saying they ever pulled the engine apart to replace the shaft.
I think one guy even had pictures worse than yours. I believe one was on TT, and maybe one here? Or both TT?
Old 02-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #53565
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l View Post
The xr650r sprocket is a short term solution. The wear will be concentrated on the unworn section of the splines that the wider 650r sprocket contacts. That unworn section of the spline will wear down to match the rest. You might get another 10 to 15K out of the shaft if you keep the RPMs up.

The proper and best fix is to split the cases and put in a new shaft. I suggest you start studying Steve's engine rebuild thread. If you start now you should be able to have it fixed by the time the weather warms up. If you really don't want to tackle it Pm Steve and see if he will do it for you. It seems like he does that from time to time. I'm betting he does a better job than most shops. Or send it to CW and have it made into a 750.

Walter
If you decide to go ahead and fix it now, I would have CW work his magic on it like Walter suggested, if you can afford it. You'll have a bike you'll never want to get rid of then....all the L needs to make it perfect imo is CW's engine work. Give this machine KTM power with its reliability and simplicity....and you'll have one hell of a dual sport
My bike will eventually meet CW