Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #53581
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,705
You could lay the bike on its side, put some RTV around the shaft, put on the sprocket, lay in some liquid metal (or better yet, moglice), and bolt on the retainer.

Don't know if it would ever come loose though!

You could also pour in a very low melting point metal.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:05 PM   #53582
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Thanks for confirming the good report on the Kean Sean Mirrors, Red! I'm definitely going to get these mirrors for my CRF250X.

Spud
I use them too and am very happy with them. For some reason one started to vibrate bur the other is still good. One if these days i will see why

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #53583
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcole View Post
Thanks, and thanks Steve. That all makes sense. Once it is fully warmed up, it still clunks a little, and it depends on the day whether it decides to go easily into N. Sometimes it goes in with no problem, and sometimes it takes me a try or two.

Maybe it's getting close. I will pay a little more attention to things and hopefully not have to do it too soon.
If that`s the case......you`ll be needing a clutch soon

And a clutch isn`t big money,,lay it on it`s side,,done in 1/2 hour...

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #53584
ltcole
Herpetologist

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
If that`s the case......you`ll be needing a clutch soon

And a clutch isn`t big money,,lay it on it`s side,,done in 1/2 hour...

B
I figured, hope to get away with what I have for a little while.

Lay it on it's side, or just drain the oil first?

Really low on money right now, waiting on a contract to go through, but I will be buying a service manual soon. I am a pretty capable mechanic, but that depends on where I am and if I have access to the proper tools.

Thanks,
Old 02-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #53585
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,241
Quote:

Really low on money right now, waiting on a contract to go through, but I will be buying a service manual soon. I am a pretty capable mechanic, but that depends on where I am and if I have access to the proper tools.

Thanks,
Nope...lay it on it`s left side ,,,do not need to drain the oil....just have a clutch kit and right side gasket ready..

Only part that may suck is removing the old stuck on gasket,,get some single sided razor blades ..

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #53586
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
The XRR sprocket will fit way back on the shaft and use the good area of splines you still have, similar to what you've done now, but better imo. I know it looks bad, but if you get a new retainer plate to go along with the xrr sprocket.....it should be a nice tight fit even with the damaged splines.
As you can see, the stock sprocket only uses part of the splines anyway....and you made it this far. You might be able to get quite a bit more life out of that shaft yet with a new retainer and XRR front sprocket using the remaining good splines

I've read of several guys who put XRR sprockets on severly damaged shafts they thought were hopeless....and ran the bikes that way for a long time. In fact I don't remember reading any posts on them saying they ever pulled the engine apart to replace the shaft.
I think one guy even had pictures worse than yours. I believe one was on TT, and maybe one here? Or both TT?
thats a good way to explain it Sierra Thumper! i was thinking the same thing but didnt explain it better. if you put the r sprocket on, it fits so tight it doesnt touch the worn spline part at all. just uses the good spline that was never used by the stock xrl sprocket. so no more wear and no need to repair. on my xrl my spline didnt wear at all after the r sprocket change. 20,000 miles and two r sprockets and no wear. the guy who bought it from me is still riding putting on the miles with no troubles too.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #53587
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
The XRR sprocket will fit way back on the shaft and use the good area of splines you still have, similar to what you've done now, but better imo. I know it looks bad, but if you get a new retainer plate to go along with the xrr sprocket.....it should be a nice tight fit even with the damaged splines.
As you can see, the stock sprocket only uses part of the splines anyway....and you made it this far. You might be able to get quite a bit more life out of that shaft yet with a new retainer and XRR front sprocket using the remaining good splines

I've read of several guys who put XRR sprockets on severly damaged shafts they thought were hopeless....and ran the bikes that way for a long time. In fact I don't remember reading any posts on them saying they ever pulled the engine apart to replace the shaft.
I think one guy even had pictures worse than yours. I believe one was on TT, and maybe one here? Or both TT?
Thanks, Thumper.

I have seen the advice from Spud Rider, about the less expensive Primary Drive front sprocket (harder to install) and the more expensive PBI/Moose front sprocket (easier to install). Given that I need a new front sprocket, with more lateral surface area to take up as much of the remaining spline as possible, I decided to order both the PBI/Moose and the Primary Drive sprockets, in the XR flavor. And, I ordered a new retainer as well. It will all come down to how deeply I can get the CSS onto the splines, with or without the spacers. Stay tuned.

PD
Old 02-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #53588
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
So... how's things at Yokusuka? Zama is the one place from a 21 year career that I genuinely miss. Good times!
Its always changing out here and not always for the better. I can't post up specifics in an open forum cause you never know who's listening but I can tell you that the curfew of 2300-0500 that we have to be off the streets and in our recall address isn't helping my outlook too much either. The area is still nice, and the locals are still great. My brother in law works at an Irish bar here and I've ran into a LOT of guys that I knew a long time ago, it's been great overall. There's BS where ever you go and I am much happier to deal with it here.

-Barron
Old 02-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #53589
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Taillight Assy Advice

My second try with the Baja Designs taillight is very close to the end. Water has penetrated the plastic housing, and the LEDs have failed on one side. The bike came with the same problem, but I figured poor maintenance on the part of the P.O. and purchased a replacement assembly. I taped and glued to prevent water seepage, but ended up with the same result. Reading the reviews at Motorcycle Superstore I see that this is a common problem with Baja Designs.

So, I am in the market for a new taillight assembly. I have and like the OEM rear fender. I also like my Cycleracks rear rack (great company, by the way). I never had the OEM taillight assembly, but I don't think that it would fit under the CW rack anyway.

The prevailing weather pattern here is dark and gloomy. For about 9 months out of the year we really, really need bright taillights for on-road use.

Please send me advice.

purpledrake screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 03:29 PM
purpledrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #53590
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Does anybody use one of these?

http://www.harborfreight.com/400-lb-...ier-99721.html

I have a permanently mounted canopy (nice Canadian fiberglass unit) on my F-150. The XL will not fit inside the canopy/bed. I would like to get a carrier to fit into a standard hitch receiver. My concern is with the weight of the XRL--with fuel and whatnot, the weight easily exceeds 400-lbs., which is a lot of weight (plus the tare of the carrier) to put on a single connection point.

I am not particular to Harbor Freight, this just a convenient example. If anybody regularly uses a hitch receiver carrier to haul a single XRL, please send your story & picture.

(BTW, I am nearly as cheap as ThumperRed, and don't like to waste money. I don't want to go with the trailer option, because of the expense. Round trip rides on the ferry are about $30 in the summertime (for the vehicle plus driver), but the trailer adds $50 each way! One round trip and I could nearly afford the Harbor Freight carrier.)

Thank you, PD.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #53591
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
http://www.harborfreight.com/400-lb-...ier-99721.html

The XL will not fit inside the canopy/bed. I would like to get a carrier to fit into a standard hitch receiver.
I have one of these... http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product...ier/web1011927

.... made of steel, not aluminum. The anti-sway clamp seems to work. Used it for the XR a few times.... so far so good.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #53592
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,419
Purplrdrake,

My son has a carrier similar to the Harbor Freight one. He has a full size Ford Bronco and carries his CRF450 on it. He says that with the bike on the back it feels like the tail wagging the dog. He does NOT carry his XRL on that carrier. Check out http://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle-carrier.htm The least expensive carrier there is rated at 400 lbs!!!

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:15 PM   #53593
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
... You can practically plate a riding lawnmower, here in Idaho. When I titled my CRF250X at the DMV, I filled out a dual sport form at the same time. I walked out of the DMV in ten minutes, with my license plate in hand. I had not done any street legal modifications at that time, and I didn't even need to present the bike for an inspection.

In Idaho, all you need is a headlight, tail light, brake light, horn, and a single mirror. You can mount a clown horn, if you like. The police don't bother us here. ...
That rocks, Spud! lucky 'stard! I guess some freedoms still remain in pockets of the country, yet to be wrenched away with the passing of time. Here in the people republik of VA (there are worse states so I'm counting blessings) the default answer is "no" There are ways around it but apparently it's quite a challenge to make a bike street legal here which was originally manufactured for off-road purposes. If nothing else, the tremendous hassle impedes people. However, with the addition of DOT lights and DOT tires, what's in your list goes for here as well, including the clown horn. But we are required to operate our motor vehicles with a current annual inspection sticker on display, so this stuff gets checked before we hit the road, and every year hence. And the police DO bother us here, mostly for government coffer bolstering purposes. And if you have multiple vehicles in your household, it can become quite a challenge to keep up with all the annual inspections. It's quite impressive how we as a society put people in charge who burden us will all sorts of tasks to spend our time and money on.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #53594
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,995
Quote:

Thanks,
Look at this video so you don't have to buy a manual. This will save you a few buck so you spend it on the clutch instead. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co8MHmTzQks
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:45 PM   #53595
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
...(BTW, I am nearly as cheap as ThumperRed, and don't like to waste money...

Red is not cheap; he's prudently frugal.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote