Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #53596
ltcole
Herpetologist

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
http://www.harborfreight.com/400-lb-...ier-99721.html

My concern is with the weight of the XRL--with fuel and whatnot, the weight easily exceeds 400-lbs., which is a lot of weight (plus the tare of the carrier) to put on a single connection point.

If anybody regularly uses a hitch receiver carrier to haul a single XRL, please send your story & picture.

Thank you, PD.
I don't have a HF, but I did build my own. Not nearly as pretty or as light on it's own, but has a lot higher weight capacity. (more weight than you would want that far back on your truck). If you have the know how and tools, that might be an option for you. I even made mine to where it roatates to act as a ramp so you don't have to lift these heavy bikes up on it.

Also might look at http://www.moto-mule.com/carriers.html, dunno what they run, but I'm sure it aint cheap. Looks like a sturdy well though out design....

Sorry, don't have the capability to post a picture right now. I will try to work on that soon....

ltcole screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 02:53 PM
ltcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #53597
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,738
Quote:
http://www.harborfreight.com/400-lb-...ier-99721.html

I have a permanently mounted canopy (nice Canadian fiberglass unit) on my F-150. The XL will not fit inside the canopy/bed. I would like to get a carrier to fit into a standard hitch receiver. My concern is with the weight of the XRL--with fuel and whatnot, the weight easily exceeds 400-lbs., which is a lot of weight (plus the tare of the carrier) to put on a single connection point.

I am not particular to Harbor Freight, this just a convenient example. If anybody regularly uses a hitch receiver carrier to haul a single XRL, please send your story & picture.

(BTW, I am nearly as cheap as ThumperRed, and don't like to waste money. I don't want to go with the trailer option, because of the expense. Round trip rides on the ferry are about $30 in the summertime (for the vehicle plus driver), but the trailer adds $50 each way! One round trip and I could nearly afford the Harbor Freight carrier.)

Thank you, PD.
You might consider one of the motorcycle tow dollies. I've seen several for sale; here is one example.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376536
http://www.prohoists.com/Shopping.idc?ProductID=35

You put the transmission in neutral when you tow the bike. However, it's far safer to remove the drive chain, if you have a master link.

You can make one of these tow dollies yourself, and it will cost much less. If the ferry people won't let you keep the bike attached to the dolly, you can remove the bike from the dolly when you get to the water. Store the hitch in your truck, and load both vehicles on the ferry separately. This will cost less than paying an extra $50 to ferry a trailer.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #53598
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
Its always changing out here and not always for the better. I can't post up specifics in an open forum cause you never know who's listening but I can tell you that the curfew of 2300-0500 that we have to be off the streets and in our recall address isn't helping my outlook too much either. The area is still nice, and the locals are still great. My brother in law works at an Irish bar here and I've ran into a LOT of guys that I knew a long time ago, it's been great overall. There's BS where ever you go and I am much happier to deal with it here.

-Barron
The upside is that the BS runs in cycles
ThumpnRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:51 PM   #53599
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post

The upside is that the BS runs in cycles

No shit. What upside???

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #53600
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,829
Quote:

I have a permanently mounted canopy (nice Canadian fiberglass unit) on my F-150. The XL will not fit inside the canopy/bed. I would like to get a carrier to fit into a standard hitch receiver. My concern is with the weight of the XRL--with fuel and whatnot, the weight easily exceeds 400-lbs., which is a lot of weight (plus the tare of the carrier) to put on a single connection point.

I am not particular to Harbor Freight, this just a convenient example. If anybody regularly uses a hitch receiver carrier to haul a single XRL, please send your story & picture.

Thank you, PD.

I run the www.versahaul.com hitch mount carrier. Rated for 500lbs. I load the xr650l with saddlebags and 5.8gallon Acerbis tank full, no problem with sway or bottoming out. This is with a stock 2007 four door jeep wrangler. I got my hitch hauler on Craigslist for about $100.00

bomber1965 screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 08:04 PM
bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #53601
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
If you are going to keep that up, you need to think about reworking your suspension. Perhaps pick up a spare frame when you see one for cheap
These bikes are great for that! (going airborne). Stock suspension is awesome
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #53602
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
No shit. What upside???
Just like the piston in your engine. Low in the stroke now... what happens next?
ThumpnRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #53603
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
I agree....the pictures alone have cleared my soul a little...gorgeous
I'm so inspired by them, I'm warming up the garage and bike with space heaters, to do an early morning oil change on the xrl. Been putting it off.....too cold, but Walter has inspired me
Right on :-)
This winter and last haven't been typically bad here thankfully. was able to go for a nice xrl day long ride week before last. Fun and didn't get cold Looking forward to the next ride though, perhaps next week si Dios lo permite. It's gonna be a while yet before the upper altitudes melt enough to ride up there but I'd rather be riding the easier stuff than waiting for the better stuff to melt.

Maybe this year I'll get to do a multi-day xrl dirt trip... with camping...
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 02-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #53604
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Right on :-)
This winter and last haven't been typically bad here thankfully. was able to go for a nice xrl day long ride week before last. Fun and didn't get cold Looking forward to the next ride though, perhaps next week si Dios lo permite. It's gonna be a while yet before the upper altitudes melt enough to ride up there but I'd rather be riding the easier stuff than waiting for the better stuff to melt.

Maybe this year I'll get to do a multi-day xrl dirt trip... with camping...
camping,,,,,,,,,,,,beeeerrrrrrrrrrrrr

B
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #53605
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
Nope...lay it on it`s left side ,,,do not need to drain the oil....just have a clutch kit and right side gasket ready.. Only part that may suck is removing the old stuck on gasket,,get some single sided razor blades .. B
And some of that gasket removing compound, or paint remover, to soften that glue residue that's a bear to scrape off.
Otherwise, right, piece of cake
Old 02-11-2013, 06:33 PM   #53606
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,654
Honda Gasket Removal

The factory gaskets are PAPER. No need for chemicals or paint remover. WATER is all you need to soften them up to assist with the removal. That and some fresh razor blades,

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #53607
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
A sharp flat wood chisel makes a really good gasket scraper . Just dont use a hammer.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #53608
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
I'll bet ya a dollar to a donut that you have cooked the piston. I bought a basket case XRL some years ago that the PO blew due to long wheelies. Oil starved the pump and that's all she wrote for that motor.
Oil starvation because of long wheelies will never be a problem for me. I was born without the balance wheelie gene, and am to big of a wuss to loop out enough times to learn. I can power wheelie just fine, but when the torque curve can't keep up, down she goes.

Steve, I am hoping to have somebody help me with degreeing the damn cam in the next week. If that fails, I'm buying a degree wheel and giving it a go myself. Here's a good article I found:

http://www.muzzys.com/articles/lobe_centers.html

CW, says 110 degrees on the intake with zero lash. Different than how they are generally done I guess.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #53609
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Thumb Just changed from 20-50 to 10-40 full syn oil....WOW!!

The po of my bike had just changed the oil with fresh 20-50 when I bought it......I was able to get some good rides on the 20-50.....but it was due for an oil change, so I went ahead and picked up some valvoline 10-40 full syn, and a wix filter, and put them in today......the 10-40 made a huge difference in the power, downright shocking I knew there'd be some diff because its been cold here, and the 20-50 isn't meant for cold weather riding. But I had no clue how big the difference was really going to be. On my high hp street bikes you don't really feel much diff....but on the lower hp dual sports you feel everything.
The bike literally pulled like it was in a gear lower than it really was.
I got on the gas and thought I was still in 4th and I was in 5th. And that was with the 4.6 IMS full, and heading up a slight hill. Thats never happened before on this bike
Between the thinner oil and the powerbomb/cut airbox with some fine tuning, she's really pulling strong now for an xrl at 5000ft up
The more power I'm getting the more I'm wanting tho

The only thing I miss about the 20-50 is that the motor was a little quieter and smoother......but it felt like it was chained to a post before the 10-40. And I did most of my riding in warm weather with the 20-50.....and the difference is still this big.

I just wanted to let you guys know my experience....if you're running 20-50 I'd recommend going down to 10-40, and a full syn at that
Not sure why the po opted to run 20-50 in the poor xrl
I bet a guy would notice even more of a diff if he went to a full syn 10-30....a little light for our bikes I think, but I bet it would raise the fun factor in the engine department even more And you could prolly pull it off in a colder climate for the winter riders

Sierra Thumper screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 07:03 PM
Sierra Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #53610
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
You might consider one of the motorcycle tow dollies. ... You put the transmission in neutral when you tow the bike. However, it's far safer to remove the drive chain, if you have a master link.

You can make one of these tow dollies yourself, and it will cost much less. If the ferry people won't let you keep the bike attached to the dolly, you can remove the bike from the dolly when you get to the water. Store the hitch in your truck, and load both vehicles on the ferry separately. This will cost less than paying an extra $50 to ferry a trailer.

Spud
Now that's funny... I can picture the look of consternation on the toll collector's face after thinking here comes a big fare!

I think if going this way rather than roll my rear wheel, I'd build a dolly to put under my rear wheel.