Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #53686
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwombat View Post
What whistle are you guys talking about? I never heard a whistle. You sure you didn't install whistle tips? Do I need to call Bubb Rubb?
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
whooop- whooooooop!!!!!

Okay...the sound was more like a wheeze than a whistle. No whistle tips for me!

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #53687
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
My doesn't even have a whistle.

Did you all notice the smog crap is still on?
Yes, I did.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #53688
Rob Rideout
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Here's a photo of the stock baffle next to my homemade version with whistle delete. The stock is roughly 7/8" ID and the new one is approx 1". noise levels are real close. almost no change. Performance seems better but I say that after every change.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #53689
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Rideout View Post
Anyone know why there is a vertical pin through the baffle on the stock muffler?
So you can grab it to pull it out.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #53690
joexr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
sierra the manual says why and when to use the recomended oil specs and at what temps

its obvious if youre in cold climates and in winter and have summer specd oil that not only are you making the pump work harder but you have a tremendous amount of extra drag on all surfaces because of the COLD.

saying you reccomend a 10-40 on all xrls, and synthetic at that is opening a can o worms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would not dare use a 10-40 when its 110f degrees down here on the beach for example or normal riding...

think about it...

if your climate does not vary more than 15-20f you can as per the manual use a STRAIGHT grade oil(40w) which has the benefit of lasting longer and performing better because there are no viscosity modifiers in the oil...

remeber this golden rule the bigger difference between "weights" the more modifiers and crap the oil has...it will shear faster...

flame on
The thing youre forgetting is its the gear box that grinds the oil. Motorcycle specific oil has additives for this.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:24 PM   #53691
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
Does somebody know a good, fairly low profile, LED blinker? I ordered some cheap ones from ebay and they are CHEAP! The wires are about 32 gauge and they pull out of the body easily. I don't mind paying if they are bright and tough.
http://www.extremedualsport.com/Prod...8/Default.aspx
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #53692
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
The thing youre forgetting is its the gear box that grinds the oil. Motorcycle specific oil has additives for this.
and why should that even be part of my comment...read dude...I was talking weights and why he noticed a difference in performance.

quit yapping answers for a sec and just be part of the forums...

its like youre on jeopardy...buzzing every sec, get to know us, and we you...

relax
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:31 PM   #53693
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Or if you want to spend a little extra cash...
I got a used throttle tube(free) and an extra set of grips(not free)...Left side is just like the right side now...handlebar, throttle tube, heater, grip. Nice and toasty!

I did have to use a rubber mallet to "gently" tap the throttle tube on the left side as it has a knurled surface. Use a piece of a 2x4 placed against the throttle tube to help prevent breaking it while tapping.
My old throttle tube was getting a little worn, so I ordered a new one along with my grips. I'll either use the old tube on the left side like you did, or do a couple layers of heat-shrink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
The real trick is not having the clutch side become a giant heat sink. On the throttle side you have to allow for play. I also cut the grip with a razor blade to route it so there would be a straighter shot. Make sure you have somebody chime in who knows what's best to put on the clutch side. Happy birthday. BRAAAAAPPP!!!
Thanks! I'll take a look and see if the grip needs cutting to route it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
I needed to trim the throttle tube so I could fit my Pro Taper Pillow Top Grips.

Download the supplemental, installation instructions at the Rocky Mountain ATV website. These instructions explain how to reinforce the wires on the throttle tube so they won't fail.

http://rockymountainatvmc.com/docs/G...0Throttles.pdf

I installed a single layer of 1-inch shrink tubing on the left handgrip before I installed the grip heaters. The single layer of shrink tubing works well as insulation. However, I think two layers might work even better.

Spud
Thanks Spud. I'll either do two layers of shrink-tube, or put my extra throttle tube on that side like someone else suggested. I'll be sure to reference the instructions!
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #53694
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,308
Quote:
and why should that even be part of my comment...read dude...I was talking weights and why he noticed a difference in performance.

relax
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #53695
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
. Something's not right about yours, then. My front is as good as my back; hasn't let me down yet.
Sounds like time to yank it apart and check the components including valves, springs, and seals along with cleaning out and changing oil.
When flying up over a water bar or similar mound as someone has skillfully managed to photograph WMD doing, you need to pull up the front so you can land on the back wheel first - you don't want to land on your front wheel on any bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
Originally Posted by mendoteach
Actually, the rear suspension can take some pretty serious air before bottoming (provided you are sub 200), but the front is woefully under sprung and damped. I think Honda wanted you to feel like the front brake was more powerful than it is

+1, set up correctly the Shoia forks work well. Sounds like you have too much air gap in the forks. Or the rear spring pre load is set too high causing overloading of the front suspension.
Yep the suspension on the xrl is very good, one of its strong points, especially when set up properly....I love it My only complaint is the front forks twisting to easily when I fall down , but the fork brace I installed has really stiffened and sharpened up the front steering, and hopefully will minimize the twisting as well
Old 02-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #53696
joexr
Banned

Quote:
sierra the manual says why and when to use the recomended oil specs and at what temps

its obvious if youre in cold climates and in winter and have summer specd oil that not only are you making the pump work harder but you have a tremendous amount of extra drag on all surfaces because of the COLD.

saying you reccomend a 10-40 on all xrls, and synthetic at that is opening a can o worms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would not dare use a 10-40 when its 110f degrees down here on the beach for example or normal riding...

think about it...

if your climate does not vary more than 15-20f you can as per the manual use a STRAIGHT grade oil(40w) which has the benefit of lasting longer and performing better because there are no viscosity modifiers in the oil...

remeber this golden rule the bigger difference between "weights" the more modifiers and crap the oil has...it will shear faster...

flame on
Quote:

relax
Listen piss ant. You were talking about straight weight oil lasting longer. What I was saying , while agreeing with you , was the additives in multi- weight bike oil make it last longer.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:44 PM   #53697
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
whatever dude...you come off like that for coming on and just blabbing crap...all it takes is a little moderating of ones posts a bit

I already crossed the line, its a first after 4 years of being a member..

you have a necessity of correcting everything anyone posts...thinking you know more...thats cool...whatever

mods feel free to do what you liike

could care less

peace
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #53698
joexr
Banned

Quote:
whatever dude...you come off like that for coming on and just blabbing crap...all it takes is a little moderating of ones posts a bit

I already crossed the line, its a first after 4 years of being a member..

you have a necessity of correcting everything anyone posts...thinking you know more...thats cool...whatever

mods feel free to do what you liike

could care less

peace
I wasnt correcting anything you said .YOU need to read and comprehend. I do know more about anything mechanical than you do , ive read all of your posts. Somebody shows you how to put air in your tires by yourself and you think youre some kind of moto-genius. I know youve got a lot of friends here , but deep down they think youre a dumbass. I do have to admit , some of my friends are indeed dumbasses.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #53699
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,642
Yo Joe...

Stick it where the sun don't shine punk

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:00 PM   #53700
joexr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Yo Joe...

Stick it where the sun don't shine punk
Hey , he started it.