Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #53776
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
DAMN! I thought I was the cheapest sumbeach here.
Pffft...You're just a light weight.

I also forgot to mention in that post I added Colloidal Silica to the G-flex to thicken it up to a paste like consistency so it wouldn't run.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #53777
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
In an effort to clarify why you are finally being called out - it's not a matter of simply upsetting people and stepping on toes - you disrespect people and come across like a bully who loves to fight and push people around. You try to instigate discord among the members and search out someone you can get everyone to pick on. Those are the antics the people here don't like, and why you seem out-of-place here. We may pick on each other more than we ought to sometimes in this forum but we maintain respect for each other. I hope this helps you understand specifically what's wrong so you can work on improving, not just for here, but for life in general.
Now that's funny!

Wait, now which one are you again? The pot or the kettle?

Dude, your the same way, to a lesser degree.

You pick apart everyone's mods because YOU don't understand, then tell us why YOU think it's not any good and not what YOU think should be done and you always have a better way. Remember, different strokes for different folks. You seemed to know more about what I did on my bike then I did, and then gave me a smart ass, belittling response. The only person it belittled was you. Where did you pick up that crystal ball you look into? I want one!
In the last month you've told us how you can out ride, out speed, out shoot, out design, out diagnose, everybody else here. I'm sure I missed a few because there are so many.
You have been absent on ADV for what, 2 1/2-3 years? You should read more, post less. You pulled the same crap when you frequented ADV a few years back...
No one likes a braggart.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:55 AM   #53778
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
I wonder if just idling it and then draining would give you a different amount drained out?
I always get the engine warm before draining the oil. I always let it run for ~30 seconds after adding ~1 1/2 quarts...then top it off.
I've only changed to oil on the 08 once but it took 2.5 almost to the drop. I've never added that much to the 04.
Go figure.?

Old 02-13-2013, 08:59 AM   #53779
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjsgptx View Post
Well i gotta clean the carb anyway, might as well do the Daves Mod while i am in there, right?
Hell yeah!!
Old 02-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #53780
absoluteclint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjsgptx View Post
I am also looking at Pipes. With the Sub-Frame re-enforcement kit, what pipe can i run? Can i run FMF, XRs Only?

Chris
If you get interested in a White Brothers let me know... Hoping to sell mine. I am replacing my current White Brothers with a FMF Q4 (that came in the mail last night!). My White Brothers is in good shape just too loud for me.
absoluteclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #53781
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Thats REPETITION genius.

Hey thats how the guy before him spelled it

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:07 AM   #53782
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
Even better- stick a little of that metal foil tape (real duct tape) under the filter housing, such that along the top edge of the tape it is stuck to the case, and bent out such that it directs the oil away from the case, like a roof overhang.
I have some of that tape in the garage too You guys have too many good ideas.....its like a buffet, I don't know what to try first
Old 02-13-2013, 09:11 AM   #53783
pngaudioguy
Just...one...more...

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteclint View Post
If you get interested in a White Brothers let me know... Hoping to sell mine. I am replacing my current White Brothers with a FMF Q4 (that came in the mail last night!). My White Brothers is in good shape just too loud for me.
PM sent... not who you were referring to, but whatever.

Geez guys - enough bashing each other. Everyone has different experiences and wants to share them. Some share a little more than some of us would prefer, but that's why my browser is able to scroll. Also, it seems just about everyone on here is an expert, so when it comes to taking advice from any of us, a grain or 10 of salt is required.
pngaudioguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:11 AM   #53784
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Mine's also an '04 and I also had that experience of filling it to full then after a ride around the yard finding it low.

Up until I pulled my engine apart, I didn't notice the drain plug near the shifter (right, Steve?) so I missed changing that oil, but I know better now. This is undoubtedly the source of the variable because when I'd drain my reserviour and replace the contents with a little over two quarts of new, I wouldn't get much if any level fluctuation after running. After I put my engine back together and back into the bike, filled up the reserviour, and rode around the yard, the level dropped from full to the bottom of the stick. That despite having dumped a quart of oil into the bottom of the engine/trans before installing the clutch cover, and - I do this at oil changes - inclining the bike toward the kickstand and filling the oil filter cavity with what oil I can fit. Sooo, it seems that the quantity of oil in the engine sump and in the return line to the reserviour at the time of change vs. time of measurement would be the variable causing the level fluctuations. It's not so freaky once garnering comprehension of system operation.

Now I drain the oil out of all my motors after they sit for long enough to cool to ambient temperature and let the oil settle in the bottom - no more warmups. I'm not worried about getting the old oil out quickly and warming spreads the oil throughout the engine thus I feel I get out more of the particles which may have settled to the bottom where the drain is, and maybe a little more oil.

I also stopped draining the little bit of oil that settles in the head on all my bikes that have that, it's so little that it doesn't seem worth the hassle and the chance of wearing out the tiny screw (or having it walk off while unattended). Maybe making up for the above with that to some extent... give and take...
Smart man......I think you just solved the puzzle Now all the searchers can dig up your very good explanation and have an answer.
This thread has so many answers for questions on the xrl its really mind boggling. And when doing google searches on the xrl this thread pops up quite often
Old 02-13-2013, 09:28 AM   #53785
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Now that's funny!

Wait, now which one are you again? The pot or the kettle?

Dude, your the same way, to a lesser degree.

You pick apart everyone's mods because YOU don't understand, then tell us why YOU think it's not any good and not what YOU think should be done and you always have a better way. Remember, different strokes for different folks. You seemed to know more about what I did on my bike then I did, and then gave me a smart ass, belittling response. The only person it belittled was you. Where did you pick up that crystal ball you look into? I want one!
In the last month you've told us how you can out ride, out speed, out shoot, out design, out diagnose, everybody else here. I'm sure I missed a few because there are so many.
You have been absent on ADV for what, 2 1/2-3 years? You should read more, post less. You pulled the same crap when you frequented ADV a few years back...
No one likes a braggart.

and here I thought it was just me

I kinda hate to dog pile, and I'm guessing you don't realize how you are coming across. It is a bit hard to come across in the tone you want with only written words. My guess is, when you are writing your response they sound helpful to you. But to some of us they are coming across as bwalsh stated. I'm a piss poor writer, just hope I don't come across too bad
Old 02-13-2013, 09:32 AM   #53786
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
lastly if people think Im a dumbass deep down well so be it...if anyone thinks that and is here reading this go right ahead, Ill have a beer on you guys...

I dont mind

peace
Christian, for the record I don't think your a dumb ass either but I think you need to rephrase that last part...sounds kinda kinky.

I wasn't ignoring this either. Just didn't have any pics and then forgot, until now...

Quote:
now how about some pics of your stumpjumper? I had one and loved those damn bikes

used to race too...when I was a kid

christian
In 2000 I added a SID SL(super light) fork, a Hayes front disc and disc compatible rim, longer handlebar stem and Easton bars and a Shimano XL rear derailer. The bike is one size too small for me but I like it for climbing steep hills or in rough terrain. If I loose traction I won't rack my balls on the cross tube. I'd like a shorter handlebar stem but it does OK. It took some getting used to.
I always add a 20 tooth (granny gear) chain ring when replacing the drive train and a tooth fairy to keep rocks off the big chain ring. The thumb shifters are still the stock ones as is the front Shimano DL derailer and the bottom bracket. Sorry for the crappy pics.

Hayes Hydraulic disc baby!

Performance bike "View Point" spot and flood lights. These are better than the one on the XR!

Hey, I even got part of an XR in one of the shots!

bwalsh screwed with this post 02-13-2013 at 09:45 AM
Old 02-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #53787
GPrairie_Rider
Dirt Junkie

Oddometer: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteclint View Post

If he buys it no biggie, i am really wanting the Q4. But if its still available i might just get it for now! Let me know

Chris
Old 02-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #53788
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Oddometer: 4,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Christian, for the record I don't think your a dumb ass either but I think you need to rephrase that last part...sounds kinda kinky.

I wasn't ignoring this either. Just didn't have any pics and then forgot, until now...

In 2000 I added a SID SL(super light) fork, a Hayes front disc and disc compatible rim, longer handlebar stem and Easton bars and a Shimano XL rear derailer. The bike is one size too small for me but I like it for climbing steep hills or in rough terrain. If I loose traction I won't rack my balls on the cross tube. I'd like a shorter handlebar stem but it does OK. It took some getting used to.
I always add a 20 tooth (granny gear) chain ring when replacing the drive train and a tooth fairy to keep rocks off the big chain ring. The thumb shifters are still the stock ones as is the front Shimano DL derailer and the bottom bracket. Sorry for the crappy pics.

Hayes Hydraulic disc baby!

Performance bike "View Point" spot and flood lights. These are better than the one on the XR!

Hey, I even got part of an XR in one of the shots!
classic! good job man, Im still a fan of the hardtail specialized geometry of late 90s bikes, today they are just too weird looking..oh btw dont say anything about pedal bikes being at the forefront vs. motorcycles!

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, I almost got beat to death on a thread not to long ago...MAN

maybe my spanish to english mindset got the best of me...I meant cheers to you guys and Ill have a beer in your honour!

does that make more sense and sound less kinky?

cheers dude
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:23 AM   #53789
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,241
Quote:

Yep, it doesn't make anyone's day when we don't show due respect.

And it would seem an Iphone would have spell-check... unless we don't need it and turn it off...

English composition was also required in engineering school.

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #53790
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
classic! good job man, Im still a fan of the hardtail specialized geometry of late 90s bikes, today they are just too weird looking..oh btw dont say anything about pedal bikes being at the forefront vs. motorcycles!

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, I almost got beat to death on a thread not to long ago...MAN

maybe my spanish to english mindset got the best of me...I meant cheers to you guys and Ill have a beer in your honour!

does that make more sense and sound less kinky?

cheers dude
I, and I'm sure everyone else, knew exactly what you meant. I was just joking with you on the phrase stuff. I hope you didn't take it the wrong way.

That is a 1992 Stump Jumper, the first year it came with that newfangled "optional" front suspension, aka, future shock(FS). Another five years and it will be an antique!
I don't need or want a full suspension pedal bike. That bike has seen some pretty gnarly trails in it's life and hopefully many many more!