User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 09:50 AM   #53791
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,527
Hey bwalsh,

You have a pic of your clutch side grips installed with the old throttle tube on there? Just want to know how it looks...
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #53792
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhitmore44 View Post
and here I thought it was just me

I kinda hate to dog pile, and I'm guessing you don't realize how you are coming across. It is a bit hard to come across in the tone you want with only written words. My guess is, when you are writing your response they sound helpful to you. But to some of us they are coming across as bwalsh stated. I'm a piss poor writer, just hope I don't come across too bad
Everyone has a different writing / reading style. I've maintained respect for everyone whether agreeing or disagreeing. I know what I know and don't propagate misinformation, and I try to be clear in differentiating my opinion from facts. I've already apologized to Bob for being snippy with him but he doesn't want to let it go. He's really a very nice guy in person but my writing style rubs him the wrong way. I can't change people's perceptions of tone. Some people give more latitude than others when interpreting the written word. And knowing a bit more about a person such as their political bent can influence how people ascribe motives. But not to worry as I can't continue to keep up with this thread anyway particularly now that the weather is warming and I won't be so cooped-up checking out what folks are up to with their xrls learning stuff and offering help and/or spicing up the conversation. I do appreciate the folks here and wish everyone the best as I poke in and butt out - folks on this thread have helped me immensely over the years and it's on-balance a very positive experience so I try to give back to the best of my ability. You can please all the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, but...
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #53793
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Pffft...You're just a light weight.

I also forgot to mention in that post I added Colloidal Silica to the G-flex to thicken it up to a paste like consistency so it wouldn't run.
Hung over now too...
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #53794
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,620
Luv a guud oil tread, and mye reedin' compraheshun is not da beast! Butt a long da lines of dis forarm's ariginal theem, here is a foto of a kool XR eye sawed at "The One" motersicle show in Portland.... lot's of kool Shite!

Old 02-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #53795
flyingwombat
frozen dead guy

Oddometer: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAbout View Post
Luv a guud oil tread, and mye reedin' compraheshun is not da beast! Butt a long da lines of dis forarm's ariginal theem, here is a foto of a kool XR eye sawed at "The One" motersicle show in Portland.... lot's of kool Shite!

Nice retro look with Honda reliability. I love that rear tank.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:37 AM   #53796
flyingwombat
frozen dead guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwombat View Post

I'm gonna jet it really rich and blow 50 foot flames down the street!!! AHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA

I think cabin fever is setting in.

So the welded bung is actually for a Bosch wideband O2 sensor. I was originally planning on just hooking the O2 sensor up to a microcontroller like the Arduino, which I could do with a narrowband O2 sensor, but the wideband is a bit over my head and I want to get this project done quickly. Wideband O2 sensors require a controller for the pump circuit- it actually draws atmospheric air in through the wiring harness.

I bought an AEM kit that includes the sensor, gauge/controller, and wiring. It has both 5v and serial data outputs for data logging. I'm planning on logging the O2 data and throttle position via some kind of homemade TPS sensor. I'm going to try using a Raspberry Pi board with an analog input adapter for the data logging because writing the data to an SD card will be a piece of cake. It would be nice to get RPM also, I'm just not sure how to do that yet. I'll publish some graphs once I get it all working.

Also, for anyone who hasn't cut open an FMF Powerbomb, it's curious. I was expecting to see lots of holes in the inner pipe like an exhaust resonator, and while it does have some holes, there weren't many that I could see. I just figured it was nice place to install the O2 sensor so that it wouldn't obstruct exhaust flow.

This will all be temporarily mounted - I'll do the initial tune with it for 8500' and then just use it to re-tune when visiting lower elevations like Moab, etc.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #53797
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
In an effort to clarify why you are finally being called out - it's not a matter of simply upsetting people and stepping on toes - you disrespect people and come across like a bully who loves to fight and push people around. You try to instigate discord among the members and search out someone you can get everyone to pick on. Those are the antics the people here don't like, and why you seem out-of-place here. We may pick on each other more than we ought to sometimes in this forum but we maintain respect for each other. I hope this helps you understand specifically what's wrong so you can work on improving, not just for here, but for life in general.
So the engineer , and I use that term loosely , is also a psychiatrist . Physician heal thyself.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #53798
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwombat View Post
So the welded bung is actually for a Bosch wideband O2 sensor. I was originally planning on just hooking the O2 sensor up to a microcontroller like the Arduino, which I could do with a narrowband O2 sensor, but the wideband is a bit over my head and I want to get this project done quickly. Wideband O2 sensors require a controller for the pump circuit- it actually draws atmospheric air in through the wiring harness.

I bought an AEM kit that includes the sensor, gauge/controller, and wiring. It has both 5v and serial data outputs for data logging. I'm planning on logging the O2 data and throttle position via some kind of homemade TPS sensor. I'm going to try using a Raspberry Pi board with an analog input adapter for the data logging because writing the data to an SD card will be a piece of cake. It would be nice to get RPM also, I'm just not sure how to do that yet. I'll publish some graphs once I get it all working.

Also, for anyone who hasn't cut open an FMF Powerbomb, it's curious. I was expecting to see lots of holes in the inner pipe like an exhaust resonator, and while it does have some holes, there weren't many that I could see. I just figured it was nice place to install the O2 sensor so that it wouldn't obstruct exhaust flow.

This will all be temporarily mounted - I'll do the initial tune with it for 8500' and then just use it to re-tune when visiting lower elevations like Moab, etc.
This is an awesome project! If only we had an OBDII connector....
As for picking up RPM, one way is to tap into the switched side of the coil, filter / scale appropriately (protect from over-voltage spikes getting to the chip), and send to a pulse counting voltage output (tach) chip scaled to the A/D input span. Something like figure 3 & figure 14 here. Another way to pick up the pulse is to inductively couple to the high tension wire leading to the spark plug by wrapping an open-ended wire a few turns around. Note the latter is easily loaded and requires a high impedance input, perhaps an external buffer. It's also possible to monitor the voltage on the crank sensor for the pulse train, but that could increase vulnerability to interfering with ignition operation if not done very carefully. If you would like further details, feel free to PM me and I'll see if I can dig up some of my past designs. It's been a few years so it's likely to take me a while to locate.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:19 PM   #53799
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,723
Quote:
I've already apologized to Bob for being snippy with him but he doesn't want to let it go.
Let it go? I get tired of seeing you do the same thing to everyone else day in and day out. Some over look it. I've seen it here and in the regional thread. It detracts from the threads.
As far as an apology, as usual from you, it didn't come across as intended...

Quote:
You're a proud man, Bob; I'm sorry you are offended at my help.

There's a lot of other guys who'll be glad to help you, though, since you haven't pissed in their beer yet.
Maybe you can work on that!

I'm done detracting from the thread with this mindless dickery...I apologize to all and hope I didn't piss in your beer too.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #53800
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Hey bwalsh,

You have a pic of your clutch side grips installed with the old throttle tube on there? Just want to know how it looks...
You're in luck! I'm switching handlebars over and have a few close up shots. The yellow and white piece is the tube. There is no way it will ever slip on the handlebar. Like I said, I had to persuade it on with a rubber mallet & 2x4.

Since the heater pad isn't quite wide enough to cover the entire tube I installed the left side heater with the wires up top figuring I'd have more heating elements on my hand. I installed the right side upside down form the left so the wires wouldn't be in the way. You need to give them some room to move without eventually breaking from the throttle being used.

I may do away with the zip tie and just tape it under the grip.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #53801
flyingwombat
frozen dead guy

Quote:
This is an awesome project! If only we had an OBDII connector....
As for picking up RPM, one way is to tap into the switched side of the coil, filter / scale appropriately (protect from over-voltage spikes getting to the chip), and send to a pulse counting voltage output (tach) chip scaled to the A/D input span. Something like figure 3 & figure 14 here. Another way to pick up the pulse is to inductively couple to the high tension wire leading to the spark plug by wrapping an open-ended wire a few turns around. Note the latter is easily loaded and requires a high impedance input, perhaps an external buffer. It's also possible to monitor the voltage on the crank sensor for the pulse train, but that could increase vulnerability to interfering with ignition operation if not done very carefully. If you would like further details, feel free to PM me and I'll see if I can dig up some of my past designs. It's been a few years so it's likely to take me a while to locate.
Thanks for the tach chip info.- I'm going to look into that. I like the idea of tapping into the low voltage side of the coil.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:37 PM   #53802
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Thanks!
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #53803
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Why don't you go down to The Basement, Joe. People here are tired on your antics.

Spud
Okay, now it's official. When you've been scolded by the most polite man to ever inhabit a forum, you should realize you have a problem, even if you are a mechanical genius

mendoteach screwed with this post 02-13-2013 at 07:53 PM
Old 02-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #53804
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
Good Lord....

One of Renazco's new designs. Steve and I are trying to get seats upgraded to this current spec.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #53805
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
Hung over now too...
Hey Red,

On the topic of the stripped splines and the case splitting to replace the countershaft (and maybe 2nd & 5th gears and the lazy spring and the kicker....), I re-read your 2009/2010 posts on TT regarding the XR600 + XR650L franken-improvement. Amazing job.

There was a question that never got answered (maybe it did elsewhere, but I never found it). Please comment about the kicker working (or not) with a dead battery. The hypothesis is that the kicker will not start the bike with a completely dead battery, because the CDI requires a small amount of juice. I think that you said that you would just disconnect the battery, kick it over, and then hook up the battery. In these past 3 years, have you ever had to do this?

Why do I ask? Well, the primary reason for installing the kicker would be my fear of a dead battery, stuck somewhere on a muddy road (where bump starts would not work). But if the kicker won't work with a dead battery, then what's the point, right?

Please illuminate me.

Thanks, PD