Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 10:20 AM   #53896
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
http://www.harborfreight.com/400-lb-...ier-99721.html

I have a permanently mounted canopy (nice Canadian fiberglass unit) on my F-150. The XL will not fit inside the canopy/bed. I would like to get a carrier to fit into a standard hitch receiver. My concern is with the weight of the XRL--with fuel and whatnot, the weight easily exceeds 400-lbs., which is a lot of weight (plus the tare of the carrier) to put on a single connection point.

I am not particular to Harbor Freight, this just a convenient example. If anybody regularly uses a hitch receiver carrier to haul a single XRL, please send your story & picture.

(BTW, I am nearly as cheap as ThumperRed, and don't like to waste money. I don't want to go with the trailer option, because of the expense. Round trip rides on the ferry are about $30 in the summertime (for the vehicle plus driver), but the trailer adds $50 each way! One round trip and I could nearly afford the Harbor Freight carrier.)

Thank you, PD.
I use this exact one. I made the trip from SD to north of Reno without any problem and without any worry (after the initial test lap.) As of right now, I'm comfortable using this lift. I also, after mounting the bike and securing it, used one each ratchet straps on each end of the lift, securing it to the ends of the receiver bar. That significantly stabilized the load.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #53897
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
We have been down this path. Who was it that weighed a bunch of stuff? I know someone has done the drill.
Sure would be nice if there was some indexing for this stuff... But we'd have to set the keywords ourselves and I'm sure we'd manage to screw that up.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:52 AM   #53898
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOKYLE View Post
Hi everyone,

I just order a Super Duty Saddlebag Rack for my XR650l from ManRacks and was wondering what saddlebags fit best with it? (Wolfman, Giant Loop, Dirtbagz, etc) If you have any pictures of your setup could you post them please? The Rack looks like this

Thanks,
Kyle
That is one fine looking rack! I can only speak for pictures but from what I've seen I'm most impressed with the giant loop. And I love how folks carry them on planes as luggage, too.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 02-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #53899
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Honda XR650L weight loss thread on page 6 of thumpers.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:11 AM   #53900
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Honda XR650L weight loss thread on page 6 of thumpers.
Handy link. Wish he had more mufflers to compare.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #53901
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
He wrote "muffler"; perhaps he intended "header"? Haven't heard of anyone grinding welds on the muffler.

I haven't held the stock muffler side by side, nor weighed either to have numbers, but I can assure you the White Bros a PO put on my bike is much lighter than stock. It feels like an empty shell of thin aluminum (I know there's more to it, but it feels that light). I've never picked up the FMF to compare. Sorry if it's as heavy as stock. This guy claims four pounds saved by swapping to a big gun. It's real, guys.
I didn't weigh my big gun and stocker, but holding one in each hand, the stocker is substantially heavier
And my stock header welds were tiny, no need or use to even bother grinding....but the powerbomb was WAY lighter than the stock header, and combined with cutting an extra hole in the airbox top and some carb fine tuning, made a very noticeable increase in performance everywhere in the powerband, just plain pulls harder from idle up. The powerbomb also slightly quieted down the exhaust as well I would do it again in a heartbeat Really perked the bike up......it actually feels , dare I say, quick now

Sierra Thumper screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 01:00 PM
Sierra Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #53902
flyingwombat
frozen dead guy

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
SWEET! This will give Steve and I a great reference as we all have very similar C-Dub motors with the 45HSR. Nice work Boss
Thanks

I should mention that the custom Motion Pro XR600R / HSR45 cables and CycleWizard carb spacer worked out very very well.
I swapped in an Ohlins shock and the spring is moved up higher than on the OEM shock, and the airbox boot wants to lightly rub on the shock spring now with this setup (it wouldn't with a stock carb). I added a piece of inner tube between the two... hopefully that will save the airbox boot. The top of the shock spring doesn't move a lot so I think it will work out. I just need a nice place to put the choke and idle adjustment, plumb the fuel lines... I'm not going to bother bringing the choke up to the handlebars.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #53903
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,732
Quote:
I may have to beg to differ with ya there Mr. Spud. No offense but I can balance my aftermarket muffler on the tip of my finger. I'd get a kick out of watching you try that with the stocker!
I don't know which muffler you installed, but several aftermarket mufflers are only slightly less heavy than the stock muffler, according to the XR650L Weight Loss thread.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=763772

Stock Silencer, 7.28
FMF Q4 Silencer, 6.9
FMF Powercore, 6.3
DG, 6.07

Personally, I prefer the quiet operation, and low cost of the stock muffler. Also, the stock muffler is virtually maintenance free.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #53904
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
I don't know which muffler you installed, but several aftermarket mufflers are only slightly less heavy than the stock muffler, according to the XR650L Weight Loss thread.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=763772

Stock Silencer, 7.28
FMF Q4 Silencer, 6.9
FMF Powercore, 6.3
DG, 6.07

Personally, I prefer the quiet operation, and low cost of the stock muffler. Also, the stock muffler is virtually maintenance free.

Spud
I know, Spud. I posted that link a little further up the page, after joexr pointed out the thread existed. Like I said there, I wish they'd had weights for other mufflers. And as per our discussion about the White Bros. exhauts with the rings, I pointed out that my White Bros. exhaust is different and does not have those rings. I used to have a sticker with the model on it but it must have been wrenched off in a slide-out as there's nothing but a gouge where it once was. This is how my exhaust looks, although my sticker did look different:

They say it's an E2; that sounds right.

Additional Info.

I doubt I would have run out and bought it if my bike hadn't come already modified with it. Like you, I prefer quieter, and would make do with the stocker.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:29 PM   #53905
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
...And as per our discussion about the White Bros. exhauts with the rings, I pointed out that my White Bros. exhaust is different and does not have those rings. I used to have a sticker with the model on it but it must have been wrenched off in a slide-out as there's nothing but a gouge where it once was...

...I doubt I would have run out and bought it if my bike hadn't come already modified with it. Like you, I prefer quieter, and would make do with the stocker.
I don't know anything about the White Brothers silencer, OnO. You must have had that discussion with someone else.

The stock muffler is ugly. An aftermarket muffler improves performance and weighs less, even if it's only a pound less. I certainly understand why people like aftermarket mufflers. However, I prefer the quiet operation, low cost, and low maintenance of the stock muffler; it makes enough power to suit me.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 02-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #53906
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

I like hanging out in D-Ray's shop. D-Ray is a good ol' boy who bought an XL600R. The XL600R is slightly different from our XR650L motorcycles, but D-Ray still produces fun, interesting videos. In this video, D-Ray discusses the Honda, dry sump engine and oil changes.

We'll see y'all next time around.

Spud
Old 02-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #53907
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

In this installment, D-Ray checks and adjusts the valve lash. The valve clearances are different for the XL600R and XR650L, but the procedure is the same.

Spud
Old 02-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #53908
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

In these episodes, D-Ray replaces the fork oil and fork seals. Once again, the XR650L forks are slightly different. Nevertheless, D-Ray provides a lot of good tips.

Spud
Old 02-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #53909
kymer69
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Wink Old-ish topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
http://www.harborfreight.com/400-lb-...ier-99721.html

I have a permanently mounted canopy (nice Canadian fiberglass unit) on my F-150. The XL will not fit inside the canopy/bed. I would like to get a carrier to fit into a standard hitch receiver. My concern is with the weight of the XRL--with fuel and whatnot, the weight easily exceeds 400-lbs., which is a lot of weight (plus the tare of the carrier) to put on a single connection point.

I am not particular to Harbor Freight, this just a convenient example. If anybody regularly uses a hitch receiver carrier to haul a single XRL, please send your story & picture.

(BTW, I am nearly as cheap as ThumperRed, and don't like to waste money. I don't want to go with the trailer option, because of the expense. Round trip rides on the ferry are about $30 in the summertime (for the vehicle plus driver), but the trailer adds $50 each way! One round trip and I could nearly afford the Harbor Freight carrier.)

Thank you, PD.
I know im a little late on this topic, but what the hell.

Iv used a haul master carrier to transport my bike (with a full fuel tank) over 400 miles none stop with no problems.

I thought you guys might also enjoy seeing how Alaska transports their 4 wheelers.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:28 PM   #53910
duckrogers666
Formerly Flying Cow

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by EOKYLE View Post
Hi everyone,

I just order a Super Duty Saddlebag Rack for my XR650l from ManRacks and was wondering what saddlebags fit best with it? (Wolfman, Giant Loop, Dirtbagz, etc) If you have any pictures of your setup could you post them please? The Rack looks like this

Thanks,
Kyle
I absolutely love my Coyote bag from Giant Loop!!! It just stays in place! Period!

Ride safe y'all!!!!

Dave

"...listen mister, you better not forget what you don't know!" ex-girlfriend
duckrogers666 is offline   Reply With Quote