Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 07:46 AM   #54451
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
Did you read his link to the ad? He's getting rid of it to get something street legal but more dirt oriented
They don't make such a thing
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #54452
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
Thanks for the info Red I'm going to check them out

I just want to get something that fits our bikes and clears the starter, doesn't fall out etc. I don't care about saving a few bucks, after dealing with Sudco I just want to get the parts without any more hassles

Btw, the guy I talked to at Sudco said they DO send the xrl FCR41 kit out with the jetting on the "safe" ( meaning rich) side to make sure no one burns up a motor and comes back after them. He said since they can't be sure what each bike has actually had done to it, they send out jetting that will cover all the bases.

So now at least we know why the kits come rich

Still not so sure about the crazy high prices on everything tho.......greed maybe?

The OEM's do the same thing for the same reason and to eliminate NOX emmisions. So adding new exhaust and a free flow air filter may put the OEM jetting spot on.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:32 AM   #54453
stiggs13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
And several are drinking
stiggs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #54454
3girlsdad
aka FiddyK

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcole View Post
Sad day. Why are you selling it?

I waited a long time to buy mine and dread the day I will have to sell it. It is and always has been my dream bike.

Excellent bike for whoever decides to pick it up.
i have posted it a couple of times, and taken it down 2 minutes later. it's a tough decision, but yes, i do want something with a lot better suspension, power, etc. yes, i can upgrade the hell out of it, which i've done a lot, but after riding a friends ktm 500 exc, the weight issue really stands out. i already give the BRP a disadvantage by being a fat @ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
You will be sorry. Ask me how I know? I am on my third XRL, can't seem to live without one?
tom, i have no doubt i will be sorry. as i type this i'm contemplating taking the ad down! i spent many months researching and deciding before i got the xrl. i wanted lower maintenance (than an mx bike), reliability and dirt worthiness. the xrl checks all those boxes, but i just need something more dirt oriented with great suspension to start with.
2008 Honda XR650L - (gone)
3girlsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #54455
ADV BUM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
You will be sorry. Ask me how I know? I am on my third XRL, can't seem to live without one?
Yes I have seen this before as well. This bike has lots of pertty farkles. Needs some suspension work to make it MORE DIRT ORIENTATED. People have told me that they dont want to put the money into it and would rather just buy a new bike. 3 times as much money for the new bike, needs to be modified to make it RUN RIGHT, breaks down regularly. Then they end up buying two bikes to replace the original.
ADV BUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:07 AM   #54456
ADV BUM
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girlsdad View Post
i have posted it a couple of times, and taken it down 2 minutes later. it's a tough decision, but yes, i do want something with a lot better suspension, power, etc. yes, i can upgrade the hell out of it, which i've done a lot, but after riding a friends ktm 500 exc, the weight issue really stands out. i already give the BRP a disadvantage by being a fat @ss

tom, i have no doubt i will be sorry. as i type this i'm contemplating taking the ad down! i spent many months researching and deciding before i got the xrl. i wanted lower maintenance (than an mx bike), reliability and dirt worthiness. the xrl checks all those boxes, but i just need something more dirt oriented with great suspension to start with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV BUM View Post
Yes I have seen this before as well. This bike has lots of pertty farkles. Needs some suspension work to make it MORE DIRT ORIENTATED. People have told me that they dont want to put the money into it and would rather just buy a new bike. 3 times as much money for the new bike, needs to be modified to make it RUN RIGHT, breaks down regularly. Then they end up buying two bikes to replace the original.
Wow, nailed it! Good luck
Old 02-21-2013, 09:10 AM   #54457
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
REALLY? If you build an EFI system for the XRL could you post a write up or start a thread on it? I'd love to put one together but couldn't find good enough documentation for what I needed since I have never worked with any EFI systems I was trying to learn it all from ground zero, it was like drinking from a fire hose. I would hope that a motorcycle system would be easier to set up than a car even though it would have a lot of similarities obviously...

If you have any good sites to get the knowledge for this kind of thing I would really appreciate any and all you could send me. If you don't want to post it, a PM would be sweet.

-Barron
I thought the megasquirt/megajolt FI build was documented pretty well somewhere (never read it myself). Here? TT? 4strokes?
Old 02-21-2013, 09:11 AM   #54458
3girlsdad
aka FiddyK

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV BUM View Post
Wow, nailed it! Good luck
yep, you did. i updated the pics on the for sale thread. i feel like i'm cheating on somebody or something!
2008 Honda XR650L - (gone)
3girlsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #54459
ADV BUM
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
yep, you did. i updated the pics on the for sale thread. i feel like i'm cheating on somebody or something!
THere is nothing wrong with moving on. What is a drag is when former com padres bash the xrl for it short comings only to live in denial about their new loves.

ADV BUM screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 09:31 AM
Old 02-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #54460
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,313
Quote:
...but after riding a friends ktm 500 exc, the weight issue really stands out. ... i wanted lower maintenance (than an mx bike), reliability and dirt worthiness. the xrl checks all those boxes, but i just need something more dirt oriented with great suspension to start with.
Well if you're riding dirt with guys on ktm 500s, 450s, crf450s etc. who know how to really ride, sure it will be tough keeping up on an xrl, but they shouldn't have to wait on you at least. However, if they are faster riders, at least you can use the excuse that you don't have a bike like theirs. Now if you get one like theirs and then can't keep up... well, there goes your manhood!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:49 AM   #54461
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,589
New 500 is a FUNNNNNNN bike!!!

Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #54462
marlinjames
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
Going Once!
crud i didnt see these were the high bars, if the guy that said he wants them as spairs would like to hold off ill buy them!!!!
marlinjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #54463
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
New 500 is a FUNNNNNNN bike!!!

Yes but ride it for a year, long rides both on & off road with only oil changes, air filter cleaning & chain oiling & report back on condition?
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:11 AM   #54464
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,642
Quote:
i'm a hypocrite... the pig is on the block

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=864860
That's a beautiful bike, and a very good deal.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #54465
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,642
Quote:

If you afford the extra bike, have available space, and SWMBO allows, keep the XR650L and add a lighter trail bike to your stable.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote