Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 09:39 PM   #54526
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,365
Looks great Flyingwombat. How's she go? Have you gotten the jetting dialed in? What jetting are you running?

Spud the Husky 449 would be a good buy for the right rider at $1500 off. I wonder of it still "feels" like a Euro bike (as opposed to a heavy Japanese bike). It is just recently that i have ridden KTMs–the 300 smoker specifically-and thought they felt almost normal, but still not like a Japanese MX bike.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:40 PM   #54527
ADV BUM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
I agree. However, they do ride pretty well off road.

Spud
They have also hard a hard time with the FI. The fuel pumps seem to fail often.
ADV BUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:44 PM   #54528
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by aksinha88 View Post

BONUS QUESTION!!!!
4. I'm hoping to get into the moto journalism business which means I'm trying to build my resume by touring AS MUCH as I can. I've never been a fan of hotels so I carry camping equipment and photography gear with me. I weigh around 155lbs and maybe 40-50lbs of gear in the back.
# I was thinking about getting the subframe reinforced.
Bike reminds me of mine. I'm using ManRack's SpudStruts subframe reinforcements.

RZ Rob

RZRob screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 10:01 PM
RZRob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:44 PM   #54529
flyingwombat
frozen dead guy

Oddometer: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
Looks great Flyingwombat. How's she go? Have you gotten the jetting dialed in? What jetting are you running?

Spud the Husky 449 would be a good buy for the right rider at $1500 off. I wonder of it still "feels" like a Euro bike (as opposed to a heavy Japanese bike). It is just recently that i have ridden KTMs–the 300 smoker specifically-and thought they felt almost normal, but still not like a Japanese MX bike.
Have not started it yet. It's killing me!! I want to just start it and do the ride-it-like-you-stole-it break-in but we have some snow on the roads. Patience grasshopper...
Old 02-21-2013, 09:47 PM   #54530
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by aksinha88 View Post
Ahh! Good to know. I have stock cans on so that should be good. The problem is I live in the middle of nowhere so hard to find a reliable welder. I guess since Winter lasts until June up here it gives me time to go find one. On a similar note, I see you have your battery relocated. Do you have a writeup for it? and is it really worth it? Sorry, still trying to find my way around here. haha
I've been to Watertown, NY. The Finger Lakes Region of New York is very nice.

I enjoy my lithium battery relocation. This modification removes nine pounds of highly placed weight from the motorcycle, and slims down the bike's posterior. My Shorai battery has performed flawlessly for the last 30,000 miles. However, I would currently recommend the Antigravity, 8-Cell battery. You can find my battery relocation thread at the following link.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666195

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:49 PM   #54531
aksinha88
YETI ADV RIDER

Oddometer: 86
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwombat View Post
I believe the XR650L service manual shows the steps. The main thing to watch for is the big washers on the starter gears. If you aren't careful it would be easy to lose one or reassemble it incorrectly and then you'll have a problem with the starter.

Other than that, it's a piece of cake. I would recommend getting a replacement side cover and gasket. Then add a reinforcement plate so that your shifter does not punch a hole in the side cover when you drop the bike. Also, stick with the OEM shifter, not aftermarket. Aftermarket shifters do not tend to bend, which means they can break your shifter shaft off. What's worse, bending the shifter back or splitting cases? Oh, get a case saver on there.
Thanks for the tips brother. I think I'll go that route and just do it right the first time. . Also, quite a monster you got there. EXCELLENT build . The specs you posted are pretty crazy! I wish i would have seen before. I'm redoing my front end to make a "RALLY" dash etc. Waiting on the RALLY RAID fairing to get here so I can get HID projectors mounted. I cant want to see whats ahead at nigh.

http://www.facebook.com/YetiAdventures
aksinha88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:50 PM   #54532
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV BUM View Post
Thanks for the tip. I have wondered about the reliability of the Huskies.

I'm glad I recently acquired a 2004, Honda CRF250X. The Achilles Heel of the CRF bikes is the titanium intake valves. Fortunately, the previous owner replaced all four valves with Kibblewhite, stainless steel valves.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 02-21-2013, 10:13 PM   #54533
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV BUM View Post
Reminds me of the Aprilia SXV550 I had. Most fun on two wheels, but exceptionally unreliable.

RZ Rob

RZRob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:52 PM   #54534
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,166
Quote:
You bike looks great, Wombat. I especially like your Flyingwombat, dual bixenon (high/low beam), HID headlights, complete with electrical tape eyebrows.

Spud
AKA johnny 5!!
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:14 PM   #54535
marlinjames
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
sub frame

anyone have the plans or map on where to add the reinforcements on the subframe?
marlinjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:33 PM   #54536
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinjames View Post
anyone have the plans or map on where to add the reinforcements on the subframe?
I've got the gusset templates in a PDF file. Send me a personal message with your email address, and I will email them to you as an attachment.

I forget; perhaps someone can refresh my memory. Can you print the templates on 8.5x11-inch paper, or do you need to print them on 11x17-inch paper? I know you need to remove the automatic sizing feature before you print them.

Spud
Old 02-21-2013, 11:37 PM   #54537
1day
n00b

Oddometer: 7
New XR owner signing in!

In the fall I bought a new to me XRL and thought it was time I sign in. 2007 with 17,000km (yep, I'm Canadian). I bought it set up almost just as I wanted it. Aftermarket farkles include FMF exhaust, Renthal bars, Pro-billet rack, Subframe reinforcement, barkbusteer hand guards, Clark 4.7 gallon tank, and the octopus is taken off the side. It does seem I need to do some carb adjustments but I have no idea what I am doing there. I will find help for that one. This bike was used on trips to the southern tip of South America so it should be more than good for me. I can not wait to get at it in the spring. I just need to decide on luggage (Wolfman or Giant loop?) and I am good to go. Happy to join the gang. CHEERS!!!
1day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:52 AM   #54538
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1day View Post
In the fall I bought a new to me XRL and thought it was time I sign in. 2007 with 17,000km (yep, I'm Canadian). I bought it set up almost just as I wanted it. Aftermarket farkles include FMF exhaust, Renthal bars, Pro-billet rack, Subframe reinforcement, barkbusteer hand guards, Clark 4.7 gallon tank, and the octopus is taken off the side. It does seem I need to do some carb adjustments but I have no idea what I am doing there. I will find help for that one. This bike was used on trips to the southern tip of South America so it should be more than good for me. I can not wait to get at it in the spring. I just need to decide on luggage (Wolfman or Giant loop?) and I am good to go. Happy to join the gang. CHEERS!!!
Welcome. Do you plan to do Dave's Mods to the carburetor? If so, here is a link to the thread describing the details of the procedure.

http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/xr650lcarbmods/

Spud
Old 02-22-2013, 01:19 AM   #54539
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,208
Quote:
I've got the gusset templates in a PDF file. Send me a personal message with your email address, and I will email them to you as an attachment.

I forget; perhaps someone can refresh my memory. Can you print the templates on 8.5x11-inch paper, or do you need to print them on 11x17-inch paper? I know you need to remove the automatic sizing feature before you print them.

Spud
8.5X11" is the way to go. That's what I used and they got cut out and went on great! Thanks again Jeremy!

-Barron
Old 02-22-2013, 01:59 AM   #54540
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post

So are you happy with the Stealth extended screw? Good fit, easy to reach and holds its position well? If so I'm just going to pick one up.....I'm getting a little tired of all the searching and dealing with places like Sudco.....I just want to get the parts I need and put this thing on. All I need is the extended fuel screw and I think I'm ready for the install And is this the screw you're using? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extended-Len...148c8c&vxp=mtr

I also read on TT that somebody used the stock xrl cables on our exact carb....whats your opinion on this? I think I'm going to give it a try before I let Sudco bend me over for any more parts
I'm happy with the Stealth extended screw so far, it looks to be a high quality item, it's nice that it has the extra threads on it and I think it might be the only one with that O-ring at the midway which should reduce any accidental side load damage and keep it from ever bending.

the link you posted is the same one I got,

I didn't actually try the stock cables, as the motion pros came with my "Kit" and I figured they should work better then stock seeing how they were all shiny new.
I say give them a try, it looks like the only difference might be the actual length of the cable (not cable housing) so you might be able to adjust the stock ones out far enough using both ends to adjust them.(meaning by the carb and the throttle tube.)
If your stock cables don't work , I can look up the numbers on my motion pros so you don't necessarily have to buy them from Sudco, you might be able to get them elsewhere for a better price.
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote