Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #54586
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
According to your intuition, would you estimate that you were left with enough slack to accommodate a 15T/50T sprocket combo with 110 links?
I am pretty certain your will need a 112-link drive chain to support the 15T/50T sprocket combination. The 110-link drive chain barely fits the 15T/48T sprocket combination.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:46 AM   #54587
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyoXR View Post
I'm happy with the Stealth extended screw so far, it looks to be a high quality item, it's nice that it has the extra threads on it and I think it might be the only one with that O-ring at the midway which should reduce any accidental side load damage and keep it from ever bending.

the link you posted is the same one I got,

I didn't actually try the stock cables, as the motion pros came with my "Kit" and I figured they should work better then stock seeing how they were all shiny new.
I say give them a try, it looks like the only difference might be the actual length of the cable (not cable housing) so you might be able to adjust the stock ones out far enough using both ends to adjust them.(meaning by the carb and the throttle tube.)
If your stock cables don't work , I can look up the numbers on my motion pros so you don't necessarily have to buy them from Sudco, you might be able to get them elsewhere for a better price.
Thanks again for the info Kyo.....I'm going to order that extended fuel screw in a few minutes. I also came across this on my researching http://www.power-barn.com/servlet/th...hrottle/Detail they're only 5 bucks cheaper than Sudco, but I can order them online with no phone bs to deal with.
Power Barn also sells a +4 inch longer version of that same cable set for high rise bars/clearing steering damper etc http://www.power-barn.com/servlet/th...ls-4%22/Detail Maybe if I get lucky I can make my stockers work If they do work I'll post back here what I had to do....maybe I can save somebody else 52+bucks
Old 02-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #54588
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwombat View Post
The kit is currently at $165 US. Comes with sensor, gauge/controller, bung, and a different colored bezel and faceplate. I actually used a stainless bung from Innovate because the header is stainless.
Here it is:
http://www.amazon.com/AEM-30-4100-UE...s=aem+wideband

I also got the silicone cover for the back of the gauge which was $9 I think.
awesome and thanks so much

now I need to save up

OR anybody want to share it? come on!

1 need 10 guys to split it with, jajajaja and we can share it! imagine the fun:c lap

peace
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #54589
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
I am pretty certain your will need a 112-link drive chain to support the 15T/50T sprocket combination. The 110-link drive chain barely fits the 15T/48T sprocket combination.

Spud
Right on, thanks my good man! Will go 112 come ordering time. Cheers
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #54590
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Thanks for giving us the good information, HT. Do you plan to start a thread detailing your installation? If so, please post a link to your thread so we can subscribe to it.

Spud
Hate to be a downer, but I didn't really plan on injecting my 600. Maybe if I had a 650L with all the DC electrical in place...

Quote:
Are you using a 15T/48T sprocket combination? If so, that sprocket combination will work fine with a 110-link drive chain.
+1. My 600 has the same frame and swingarm dimensions as a 650L and I switch between 14/48 and 15/48 on a 110 link chain. It's about in the middle of the adjusters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksinha88 View Post
1. I threw the chain last September and without the case saver it put a little hole in the left case cover right at the gasket where it meets the case. I patched it up with JPWELD but it was leaking 1 drop/2 seconds when it sat on the side stand running. What manual should I get where I can see the step by step instructions (with part numbers) as to how to take the left case cover off and inspect and hopefully repair the damage and seal it back up.???

2. The rear shock needs rebuilt since the Rubber stopper thing crumbled like crappy wine cork. As per Steve the XR GURU on here I should just swap in a XR600 stopper and have it rebuilt for the heck of it while I have it apart.
Since I'm already back there taking things off, should I go ahead and throw on the PIVOT WORKS LINKAGE KIT from XRS ONLY? The stock one seems to be doing its job but is there an advantage to installing the Pivot works?

3. Now regarding the Frame. As per visual inspection it seems good besides the surface rust and paint peel. I was thinking about sanding it down (no access to a sand blaster) and repainting painting the frame with UNDERCOATING spray for cars??? In theory it would protect it from the elements and the nasty winter salt, specially up here in Upsatate NY.

BONUS QUESTION!!!!
4. I'm hoping to get into the moto journalism business which means I'm trying to build my resume by touring AS MUCH as I can. I've never been a fan of hotels so I carry camping equipment and photography gear with me. I weigh around 155lbs and maybe 40-50lbs of gear in the back.
# I was thinking about getting the subframe reinforced. Would the TWISTED THROTTLE Brace do? http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-mo...-xr650l-silver or should I go the route of getting a reinforcement welded on??? I've heard a few horror stories of bad weld jobs and making the frame even weaker.

Thanks for taking the time to read all this.
Thank you for itemizing the list of questions.

1.) Literally any year 650L service manual will do. As I always tell anyone who asks a question like this, the biggest change Honda ha made to the 650L yet has been color scheme.

2.) I might have said to put off replacing the linkage bearings had you not mentioned NY road salt and that the bike would be covering a lot of miles. IMO, it's better to make sure the bike is solid now rather than repairing things later on the road.

3.) Undercoatings often don't dry completely and probably won't make a good frame coating. Spray-on bedliner would be a better candidate, but many of those turn chalky-looking with sun exposure and end up looking bad. I would probably opt for a tough epoxy rust-preventive paint instead.

4.) Live the dream, man! I would love to be able to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
wombat, how much did the wideband sensor set you back? if you dont mind me asking?

I was thinking of starting a sensor sharing coop kind of deal where a bunch of us pitch in and BUY 1 sensor...then we all have a certain amount of time to do all our testing and the sensor goes from bike to bike like a loose college girl if you know what I mean...

that way well all get a chance to jet our bikes perfectly...and get a ballpark figure on what our bike is doing jetting wise and the sensor actually gets some good use and doesnt just sit on somebodies shelf doing nothing

anybody interested in starting this?
An Innovate LC-1 goes for about $200 out the door. It is the most basic wideband sensor setup andonly includes the sensor itself and the sensor controller. You will need a laptop for logging data. The LM-1 includes a handheld logger and goes for about $400. They also have a newer PL-1 pocket logger that's only $100. There are other wideband options from the likes of AEM, Zeitronix, and DIYWB, but I haven't used them personally.

anybody interested in starting this?[/QUOTE]

HeadTrauma screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 12:18 PM
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:09 PM   #54591
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:

now I need to save up

1 need 10 guys to split it with, jajajaja and we can share it! imagine the fun:c lap

peace

You can accomplish essentially the same with much less monetary investment if you're willing to be industrious. It is possible to stick an automotive control sensor in the exhaust stream for a few bucks, connect the heater ckt to power, and measure the sensor voltage with some circuitry and a DVM. I haven't tried it but I've measured the voltage on my car's sensor.

Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 02-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #54592
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

First grandchild on the way now...

:shhhhh "official announcement" has not been made yet...
Well congratulations Grandpa You're going to love being a grandparent.......I know I do I've got the 2nd on the way now

We're trying to let our daughter and son-in-law know that kids are great, but its better to start out slow when you're young parents and in a new marriage....I hope they listen
They want a big family, and they want to start immediately
Old 02-22-2013, 12:13 PM   #54593
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

oooooooooooooh I AM industrious! jajaja

since Im on an xr6 I would have to fab up a battery right?

and what kind of sensor cn I find for less than a wideband? if you mind sharing

and thanks btw

the reason Im doing this is I once again had to change my header and exhaust setup, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand have a flatslide which well was tuned for the other system and Im getting itred of buying plugs and reading so called plug chops,

they suck with the gas down here...and my butt dyno isnt in any mood anymore
Old 02-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #54594
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

All the cars that use O2 sensors pick up the same info, so I'd say whatever one you can pick up easily and cheaply and can find a way to patch into your exhaust stream without introducing leaks.

Most have the heaters (4-wire) and some do not (2-wire). Without the heater, you won't get as accurate a reading until you get your exhaust system up to full operating temperature, but you won't have to power the heater....
Old 02-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #54595
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,520
I probably don't belong on this thread I have five Great Grand kids
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #54596
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
I probably don't belong on this thread I have five Great Grand kids
Congratulations!!

You're the greatest grandaddy on here!

I hope to be able to say that one day...
Old 02-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #54597
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
All the "nicer" bikes out there have expensive parts and high(er) maintenance intervals. I got my "L" for it's simplicity, ease of maintenance and ease on the wallet.
Same reason I got my L, it was an awesome bang for the buck way to get back into dualsporting after 17 years away, I know from experience they are brick reliable, and I like air cooling for its simplicity.

I have 4 bikes, so the lower maintainence a bike is the more I like it
And when I'm 100 miles out in nowhere, with no cell coverage, I want simple and bullet proof
Old 02-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #54598
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

now I need to save up

peace
....its party time!!
Honestly tho, sometimes too much info can actually take away from the fun. I have an Innovate AFR meter/datalogger I'm using on my turbo zx14.....its necessary for the turbo bike, but I won't be using it on the xrl to tune my FCR. I'm like alot of you guys, if I put that thing on my xrl to aid in tuning, I'd never be happy, and would be constantly fiddling with the carb instead of riding
I'd rather jet it a couple times till its running good and just ride it, without a gauge staring me in the face telling me its not "perfect" yet, so I get obsessed with it and keep fiddling and fiddling. Been there done that...no more for me
Old 02-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #54599
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
You can accomplish essentially the same with much less monetary investment if you're willing to be industrious. It is possible to stick an automotive control sensor in the exhaust stream for a few bucks, connect the heater ckt to power, and measure the sensor voltage with some circuitry and a DVM. I haven't tried it but I've measured the voltage on my car's sensor.

Do you know the exhaust temps the oxygen sensor reads at stoichiometric ?
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #54600
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

thats the thing, I fiddle too much...so this will ease the process...plus tuning per plug readings has become almost almost a dead science nowadays...

its ok for WOT anything else is wasted time, in my now humble opinion

I want to just get it over with and ride and tune on the fly...Im a good jetter and have done well with the xr, my old klr and my older cb750

however when adding mods, like a cam, a flatslide, etc..etc...butt dynos just get harder to do objectively and your perception of BETTER might in fact not be

in any case we all have our thoughts on the subject for sure, you have more experience and therefore I value your input greatly

now heres a to all the grandads, and great grandads, I MISS my grandfather greatly, as I do my dad, they both taught me so much, especially how to work and repair stuff that reading you old fellars comments makes me smile a lot

so thanks!