Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 08:36 PM   #54616
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Do you know the exhaust temps the oxygen sensor reads at stoichiometric ?
An oxygen sensor does not read temperature!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #54617
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
...I want to just get it over with and ride and tune on the fly...
... heres a to all the grandads, and great grandads, I MISS my grandfather greatly, as I do my dad, they both taught me so much, especially how to work and repair stuff that reading you old fellars comments makes me smile a lot ...
Right on. I get tired of messing wiht stuff and unless it needs attention to address my enjoyment, I'll enjoy riding instead. I've been doing this so long, and started at such a young age, that I can tell when an engine is too rich or too lean from the way it feels and responds. I know, b.s., it can't be done, no way, you're bragging, etc., etc., or so 'you' (I) think. Feel free to believe whatever; the point is, if it's working well enough to satisfy me, I'm not fiddling with it any more. Perfect is the enemy of good enough!

The best way to honor your dad and grandad is to be the best dad and grandad you can be. Not perfect, just do your best.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 02-22-2013, 09:03 PM   #54618
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Well in that case I would also feel free to take my chances and cross the compliance bridge should it ever become the only path. If you have lenses with DOT molded into them, then that's probably enough to point to if it ever came to question. That's what they look for here, anyway.

Funny, in California we don't get motorcycle inspections of any sort. They plate by VIN and that's it. If you are making a bike you have to get some sort of inspection. But people here plate everything, though it has gotten harder. We have some deal where you get one "special" build in your lifetime. I found this out by asking the lady at the DMV how all these crazy custom bikes are able to get plates. In any case, I've seen people with not a thing legal: tank, light, brake light signals, smog. Somehow they get away with it. Not sure who those hooligans are
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:10 PM   #54619
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
.... Not sure who those hooligans are
Bunch of bums trying to cheat the system
Old 02-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #54620
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
There has been much discussion lately regarding the virtues of the XR650L versus higher performance, more expensive motorcycles. Here is a my comparative analogy.

Honda XR650L: The girl next door

Beautiful in its own way, reliable, trustworthy, low-maintenance, and inexpensive to maintain.

High-performance race bike with blinkers: Supermodel

Stunningly attractive, but unreliable, untrustworthy, high-maintenance, and very expensive to maintain.

You pay your money, and you take your chances. The choice is up to you. If you can afford both, you just might get the best of both worlds.

Spud

Thanks Spud. Your photo and words help to articulate what I was saying. Maybe spun, high maintenance bikes, like super models, should only be for rental. I explained this metaphor/analogy to my wife. She looked at me like I was nuts.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:16 PM   #54621
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
... She looked at me like I was nuts.
And she knows you better than anyone!

Old 02-22-2013, 09:17 PM   #54622
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,911
Quote:
My guy is knowledgeable and conscientious. They can get into deep doo-doo if they happen to miss something and it gets found out. With VSP in close family, I know about it from their side too. My guy also accepts the fact that I do all my own work on my vehicles and appreciates that I keep them healthy and don't bring him stuff to inspect in need of repairs. And best of all, we're friends and we talk about all kinds of stuff while I hang out with him in the shop the whole time. "Insurance" be damned! It is few with a positive take on this approach.
"Officer, I just installed that last week." That's my story and I'm stickin to it!
Actually my bike is legal. My truck...well I"m not saying.

The place I go still lets you into the shop area. I don't patronize many shops that don't. You have to hang out now. The State implemented that stupid regulation "timing" the computerized inspections. WTF! That hurt a lot of older inspectors who have never even touched a computer..
If an inspector logs in, then logs out of that vehicles inspection sooner then the time the State figures an inspection should take, the inspector gets in deep shit.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:23 PM   #54623
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
You can accomplish essentially the same with much less monetary investment if you're willing to be industrious. It is possible to stick an automotive control sensor in the exhaust stream for a few bucks, connect the heater ckt to power, and measure the sensor voltage with some circuitry and a DVM. I haven't tried it but I've measured the voltage on my car's sensor.

The graph you posted is the output curve for a narrowband(NB) sensor. NB O2 sensors are only remotely accurate right around stoich and the output curve isn't at all linear, as shown. Max power is typically found well below stoich, so a narrowband sensor is of little practical use for real, effective tuning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Do you know the exhaust temps the oxygen sensor reads at stoichiometric ?
It doesn't really matter as long as the sensor is heated.
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #54624
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stksonly View Post
flyingwombat, it runs about 94db. real throaty and when I get on it it barks big time!. running a 42mm flatside Keihin carb off of a Huskyu 610. the bike really gets up and goes with the addition of the flatside and duals.....IMHO
What year Husky did it come off of? And what modifications were needed to install in on the L? Is that still a CV carb, or a pumper?
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #54625
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Oddometer: 4,149
Quote:
Right on. I get tired of messing wiht stuff and unless it needs attention to address my enjoyment, I'll enjoy riding instead. I've been doing this so long, and started at such a young age, that I can tell when an engine is too rich or too lean from the way it feels and responds. I know, b.s., it can't be done, no way, you're bragging, etc., etc., or so 'you' (I) think. Feel free to believe whatever; the point is, if it's working well enough to satisfy me, I'm not fiddling with it any more. Perfect is the enemy of good enough!

The best way to honor your dad and grandad is to be the best dad and grandad you can be. Not perfect, just do your best.
youre not bragging...or me either...Ihave a good butt dyno Im just tired of it...I tuned the hell out of a sucky klr with stock baflle less exhaust and it did better than most idiots that simply put on an aftermarket can and couldnt even bother adjusting the capped fuel screw jajaja

in any case my point or wish really is to tune it more scientifically in a way that would be easier for ME.

I dont have the time anymore to spend a whole day and 2 or so tanks of gas, full of jets and shims, and needles etc...and plop the carb bowl off a million times to TUNE perfectly...close but not enough

and to finsih off the thought process good enough is just that,...if you want an xr6 or a modded xrl to be just good enough when it could be GREAT then well stick with a klr,! jajajaja or a lawnmower

especially after modding the engine a bit good enough sounds like a waste of money! jajajajaja

no offense intended
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #54626
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Oddometer: 4,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadTrauma View Post
The graph you posted is the output curve for a narrowband(NB) sensor. NB O2 sensors are only remotely accurate right around stoich and the output curve isn't at all linear, as shown. Max power is typically found well below stoich, so a narrowband sensor is of little practical use for real, effective tuning.

It doesn't really matter as long as the sensor is heated.
so ive been reading a bunch about the cheap diy solutions using oxygen sensors from cars and a simple meter to gauge volt output and some say that indeed temperature does affect the readings but not as much as one would think and when used on a header thats far away from the heat of the combustion chamber all that really happens is the sensor stops working a bit...

so is this a non issue?

I also read up an awesome report on using a cheap 02 sensor, digital gauge all for less than $40...it was a narrowband with the lights and the guy got awesome results with it...

it was a bosch sensor good from 10.1 to 20.1 or so

ideas?
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:42 PM   #54627
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
An oxygen sensor does not read temperature!
Doesnt an oxygen sensor and the controller convert a temperature into the air , ,fuel ratio ? I read something like that.

joexr screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 11:51 PM
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:18 AM   #54628
marlinjames
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Dave's mod trouble

I just got doing the dave's mod and it all went smooth. bike started right up barely had to tap the starter. i let it wram up for a awhile and took it for a ride. it runs fine at about a quarter throttle but if i open it up it jokes out and spudders but still kinda accelerates. Guessing i have the air fuel mixture off? i backed it out the 2 1/2 turns.
Im at sealevel in washington state with stock exhaust. oh and i used a 55 and a 155 jets, it was suggested to use a 158 but had already ordered the 155 and couldnt find one local so i figured i would try it. its in my shopping cart for my next order
marlinjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:58 AM   #54629
DQook
Hawaii NX125

Oddometer: 37
Hey guys got the bike in the shop and after the top end was taken off it looks like the rockers are SHOT!
After looking on fleabay i found some brand new aftermarket rocker arms for 100 bucks shipped. Was wondering if anyone had any experiences with aftermarket rockers? Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks
-DQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DQook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:04 AM   #54630
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,579
I have heard of favorable results on the E-bay rockers. One thing though, you will need to swap out the adjusters to the OE as the new ones are to long and will hit the inspection caps.

Finding the rockers shot is a sign of no or very low oil. The cam is probably shot also. Best to have the shop pull the cylinder to get a look at the piston. Better safe than sorry.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote