Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 05:06 AM   #54631
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
Funny, in California we don't get motorcycle inspections of any sort. They plate by VIN and that's it. If you are making a bike you have to get some sort of inspection. But people here plate everything, though it has gotten harder. We have some deal where you get one "special" build in your lifetime. I found this out by asking the lady at the DMV how all these crazy custom bikes are able to get plates. In any case, I've seen people with not a thing legal: tank, light, brake light signals, smog. Somehow they get away with it. Not sure who those hooligans are
When I got a ticket for running a red (maybe I could have stopped, but it was clear in the other direction and the road was wet so I figured I would have had to drop it to avoid hitting nothing, in which case running it and risking the ticket was a fair trade) I had a plastic tank, Trail Tech head light, integrated tail light with no blinkers, no light on my plate, smog pulled and a few other things.... The cop was funny, when he was writing me the ticket he thanked me for stopping, I was mentally thanking him for only wring me a ticket for running the light . I always pull over when I see the police in my rear view, and I never get mad when I get a ticket cause lord knows I've earned more than I have gotten!

-Barron
Old 02-23-2013, 06:33 AM   #54632
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
When I got a ticket for running a red (maybe I could have stopped, but it was clear in the other direction and the road was wet so I figured I would have had to drop it to avoid hitting nothing, in which case running it and risking the ticket was a fair trade) I had a plastic tank, Trail Tech head light, integrated tail light with no blinkers, no light on my plate, smog pulled and a few other things.... The cop was funny, when he was writing me the ticket he thanked me for stopping, I was mentally thanking him for only wring me a ticket for running the light . I always pull over when I see the police in my rear view, and I never get mad when I get a ticket cause lord knows I've earned more than I have gotten!

-Barron
Honesty what a great & refreshing concept
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:01 AM   #54633
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Doesnt an oxygen sensor and the controller convert a temperature into the air , ,fuel ratio ? I read something like that.
The O2 sensor creates a voltage depending on how much oxygen is in the exhaust stream..

It does not send a temperature.. it will not function properly or fast enough till it hits operating temperature.....that`s why they introduced heated o2 sensors in vehicles........so the o2 sensor would work quicker and the vehicle could get into closed loop operation earlier and save on fuel..if a fuel injection system is in open loop it relies heavily on the coolant/intake temp sensors for fuel mangement.........and that wastes fuel..

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:05 AM   #54634
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
The O2 sensor creates a voltage depending on how much oxygen is in the exhaust stream..

It does not send a temperature.. it will not function properly or fast enough till it hits operating temperature.....that`s why they introduced heated o2 sensors in vehicles........so the o2 sensor would work quicker and the vehicle could get into closed loop operation earlier and save on fuel..if a fuel injection system is in open loop it relies heavily on the coolant/intake temp sensors for fuel mangement.........and that wastes fuel..

B
Thank you , I was just now reading up on O2 sensors on Wikipedia.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:17 AM   #54635
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
"Officer, I just installed that last week." That's my story and I'm stickin to it!
Actually my bike is legal. My truck...well I"m not saying.

The place I go still lets you into the shop area. I don't patronize many shops that don't. You have to hang out now. The State implemented that stupid regulation "timing" the computerized inspections. WTF! That hurt a lot of older inspectors who have never even touched a computer..
If an inspector logs in, then logs out of that vehicles inspection sooner then the time the State figures an inspection should take, the inspector gets in deep shit.
I don't know what you mean. The inspector approaches the computer once the inspection of the vehicle is complete and all determinations have been made. From the time he logs in to the time he completes the transaction it's only a matter of the time it takes to enter the VIN, date, couple other things, click good or bad for each of what, 20 or 30 boxes, and hit submit - the computer time initiates and concludes in the one to two minute time frame. Then he prints and it logs itself out after a minute or two if he doesn't log out purposely.
There is certainly no reason to log in, enter the VIN, and then go back and forth to the computer, line by line, inspecting each thing on the list and clicking the result before moving on to the next line. I'd be agape to see anybody take this latter approach...

But yeah, if I ever changed something to non-DOT or whatever, I would never try to pass the blame to my inspector if I got caught with it. Besides being mean, the penalty for me would be considerably less infringing than the penalty to him.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:25 AM   #54636
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
An open loop system (without oxygen sensor) is used in some bikes,,can work quite well but isn`t as fuel effecient..........but the best part of a closed loop system.. is the O2 can watch and adjust fuel trim for best fuel consumption........and with an 02 sensor it can "self learn" to a point..meaning that as the engine ages or it consistently sees a lean or rich condition ......the pcm can alter it`s long term fuel trim ........and set a code if consistantly too rich/lean........

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
Old 02-23-2013, 07:32 AM   #54637
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadTrauma View Post
The graph you posted is the output curve for a narrowband(NB) sensor. NB O2 sensors are only remotely accurate right around stoich and the output curve isn't at all linear, as shown. Max power is typically found well below stoich, so a narrowband sensor is of little practical use for real, effective tuning. ...
Busted! I just grabbed the first graph in sight. It's still essentially representative of the idea that once you have the output characteristics for the device, you can interpret the F/A from the indication you produce.

They should call these narrow-range and wide-range, as the range around stoichiometric for which they provide useful indication has nothing to do with signal bandwidth!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 02-23-2013, 07:36 AM   #54638
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQook View Post
Hey guys got the bike in the shop and after the top end was taken off it looks like the rockers are SHOT!
Hey I just saw that movie. Doing the R&R now, but I went with used, but fresh stuff on eBay.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:37 AM   #54639
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,302
Quote:
I wrote that article and I dont know a damned thing about O2 sensors, Dont believe a word of it!
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:44 AM   #54640
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinjames View Post
I just got doing the dave's mod and it all went smooth. bike started right up barely had to tap the starter. i let it wram up for a awhile and took it for a ride. it runs fine at about a quarter throttle but if i open it up it jokes out and spudders but still kinda accelerates. Guessing i have the air fuel mixture off? i backed it out the 2 1/2 turns.
Im at sealevel in washington state with stock exhaust. oh and i used a 55 and a 155 jets, it was suggested to use a 158 but had already ordered the 155 and couldnt find one local so i figured i would try it. its in my shopping cart for my next order
If you think you are too lean try setting the choke on the half notch or even full notch and see if it make a difference. I'd almost guess you are rich, I'm running the 155 at 3600 and higher with Dave's mods, snorkel pulled, and Q4 muffler.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:47 AM   #54641
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
An open loop system (without oxygen sensor) is used in some bikes,,can work quite well but isn`t as fuel effecient..........but the best part of a closed loop system.. is the O2 can watch and adjust fuel trim for best fuel consumption........and with an 02 sensor it can "self learn" to a point..meaning that as the engine ages or it consistently sees a lean or rich condition ......the pcm can alter it`s long term fuel trim ........and set a code if consistantly too rich/lean........ B
Perhaps you felt the same, but it seemed kinda 'untrustworthy' to me at first introduction to the system. I've found that the extent of engine control by computer and the massive amount of data required to effect it quite amazing. And while at first one may think these are harder to diagnose because of the complexity, I find that to be balanced by the copious data accesible from the computer which if interpreted well can isolate and direct one to the area of the malfunction.

Thanks for explaining the temperature variable with respect to the O2 sensor.........
Old 02-23-2013, 08:13 AM   #54642
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwombat View Post
I finished reassembly last weekend.

Flyingwombat,

You have added the ZDDP to the engine oil for cam break in haven't you?

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:07 AM   #54643
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Cry Yikes!

LONDON -- A British couple's round-the-world cycling odyssey ended in tragedy when both of them were killed in a road accident in Thailand.

Peter Root and Mary Thompson, who had been chronicling their journey in a blog, died Wednesday when they were hit by a pickup truck in a province east of Bangkok, Thai police said Monday.

The couple, both 34 and from Guernsey in the Channel Islands, left Britain in July 2011 and had cycled through Europe, the Middle East, Central Asia and China.

The trip was a once-in-a-lifetime experience for the couple, who met in art school and spent six years saving money and planning their journey, Peter's father Jerry Root told the Associated Press in an interview.

"They were both inspirational," Jerry Root said. "They didn't just talk about it, they did it. I couldn't be prouder of them."

He said they were both experienced cyclists who knew the rigors and risks of extended bicycle travel.

"They were camping wild, as they called it," he said. "What helps me is to think of how happy they were with each other. They were leading the life they wanted to. It was the happiest, the most fruitful of lives."

The couple had been posting photos and details of their trip on the website Two on Four Wheels. They also had many followers on Twitter and Facebook who were tracing their journey and vicariously enjoying their adventure, which included a trip through remote parts of Central Asia.

A video they posted from that part of the journey shows them camping in the desert, riding through hills, stopping to swim in rivers and lakes, and braving heavy snowstorms. They also cycle through tense situations as armed conflict breaks out during their journey through Tajikistan.

There is also footage showing Thompson suffering a gash to her knee after an apparent collision with a truck.

The couple look tanned, joyous and relaxed if a bit windblown in the footage. It is apparent life on the road agreed with them.

"They never talked about the trip as having a destination or a deadline or a time scale," said Ben Thompson, Mary's brother. "They didn't have firm plans, they had rough ideas. They just loved people. They were always dragging people to the campfire to share a story and a beer and some food."

After Southeast Asia, the couple were planning to go to New Zealand for a brief respite, he said.

Thai Police Lt. Col. Supachai Luangsukcharoen said Monday that investigators found their bodies, their bicycles and their belongings scattered along a roadside, along with a pickup truck that crashed between some trees.

Supachai said the driver, 25-year-old Worapong Sangkhawat, was seriously injured. He told police his truck hit the cyclists as he was reaching down to pick up a cap from the vehicle's floor, Supachai said.

The driver has been released on bail and faces charges of causing death by dangerous driving, which carries a maximum penalty of 10 years in jail.

Police said the couple's bodies were being kept at a rescue unit in Chachoengsao, 20 miles (30 kilometers) east of Bangkok, until they could be repatriated.

___

Associated Press writers Jill Lawless in London and Thanyarat Doksone in Thailand contributed to this report.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #54644
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
I don't know what you mean.
There is certainly no reason to log in, enter the VIN, and then go back and forth to the computer, line by line, inspecting each thing on the list and clicking the result before moving on to the next line.
There IS a reason if the State requires it. It's not being checked off on the computer line by line fer cryin out loud.
I don't do inspections. Just what I've been told by numerous folks who do. Log in, do the inspection, fill in the blanks on the screen afterwards and your done. Do it too quickly and they will know the inspector didn't have enough time to correctly inspect the vehicle.
VA has cracked down on inspection stations that do a quick "once over", never check under the hood or remove a wheel(or the two they are supposed to, one on each end) and slap a sticker on it.

Besides, you say you're legal. Do you still have the smog pump on the bike? Scofflaw.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:35 AM   #54645
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Perhaps you felt the same, but it seemed kinda 'untrustworthy' to me at first introduction to the system. I've found that the extent of engine control by computer and the massive amount of data required to effect it quite amazing. And while at first one may think these are harder to diagnose because of the complexity, I find that to be balanced by the copious data accesible from the computer which if interpreted well can isolate and direct one to the area of the malfunction.

Thanks for explaining the temperature variable with respect to the O2 sensor.........

When the OE went to fuel injection in 85-86 it was single handly the best improvement in driveability...bar none........that same 2 year period we saw DIS ignition too..they had problems with modules though..DIS modules were troublesome and died intermittently..it was a pain in the arse to diagnose...

I have 4 scanners at work to read data and also a labscope to diagnose..but really...if you know what each sensor does,how it operates and affects fueling ..it is absolutely incredible what you can see in a data stream that can tell you why an engine is not operating properly..

For the most part a code will point the way only........unless it`s a complete failure of a component when it ohms it during start up..

Fuel injection is hands down the best way to fuel an engine,,,,,,,,,bikes seem to be problematic usually due to enviroment/dirt and the fact they can`t seem to make a decent fuel pump

B