Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #54646
screamin injin
FUBAR

Oddometer: 2,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
There IS a reason if the State requires it. It's not being checked off on the computer line by line fer cryin out loud.
I don't do inspections. Just what I've been told by numerous folks who do. Log in, do the inspection, fill in the blanks on the screen afterwards and your done. Do it too quickly and they will know the inspector didn't have enough time to correctly inspect the vehicle.
VA has cracked down on inspection stations that do a quick "once over", never check under the hood or remove a wheel(or the two they are supposed to, one on each end) and slap a sticker on it.

Besides, you say you're legal. Do you still have the smog pump on the bike? Scofflaw.
I had a place I took my vehicles in for inspection a loooooong time ago. The guy would let me pull the car into the shop, I'd flash the lights, hit the horn, and turn the wipers on, and done!
screamin injin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #54647
marlinjames
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhitmore44 View Post
If you think you are too lean try setting the choke on the half notch or even full notch and see if it make a difference. I'd almost guess you are rich, I'm running the 155 at 3600 and higher with Dave's mods, snorkel pulled, and Q4 muffler.
the exhaust doesnt smell rich. so do you think the bigger 158 jet would help or make it worse?
marlinjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:55 AM   #54648
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
An open loop system (without oxygen sensor) is used in some bikes,,can work quite well but isn`t as fuel effecient..........but the best part of a closed loop system.. is the O2 can watch and adjust fuel trim for best fuel consumption........and with an 02 sensor it can "self learn" to a point..meaning that as the engine ages or it consistently sees a lean or rich condition ......the pcm can alter it`s long term fuel trim ........and set a code if consistantly too rich/lean........

B
Fuel injection I understand well. I just misunderstood the operation of an O2 sensor , not its function , but thanks again.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #54649
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin injin View Post
I had a place I took my vehicles in for inspection a loooooong time ago. The guy would let me pull the car into the shop, I'd flash the lights, hit the horn, and turn the wipers on, and done!
The place I go, I've been going there for over ten years. With two, three vehicles he sees me a lot, just for inspections.
For the most part it is still just how you described it since they know I take good care of my vehicles but he has to make me wait a little longer to satisfy the States requirements.
Funny though, he did mention the non DOT PIAA lights I have on my truck the last time I was in there. I reminded him they have been on there for over six years. What can I say. I like to see at night and the stock lights suck.

I guess he is a little more worried now days.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #54650
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 885
Rotella vs Rimula

I'm in Tierra del Fuego and I'm having a hard time finding oil. Ever since I crossed into Mexico I've been seeing Rimula sold everywhere. I've been told that Rimula is Rotella, just rebranded for this part of the world. Unfortunately, I've looked at a couple of jugs of this stuff and it doesn't say if it's JASO rated or not. Does anyone know if Rimula will work in the XRL? Also, which Rimula varriant would be best? It seems that there is a Rimula R2, Rimula R3, and Rimula R4.
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:56 AM   #54651
nic579
x

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
I'm in Tierra del Fuego and I'm having a hard time finding oil. Ever since I crossed into Mexico I've been seeing Rimula sold everywhere. I've been told that Rimula is Rotella, just rebranded for this part of the world. Unfortunately, I've looked at a couple of jugs of this stuff and it doesn't say if it's JASO rated or not. Does anyone know if Rimula will work in the XRL? Also, which Rimula varriant would be best? It seems that there is a Rimula R2, Rimula R3, and Rimula R4.

http://www.shell.com/global/products...r3x-multi.html

http://www.shell.com/global/products...torcycles.html
nic579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #54652
dcparks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Question how hard should i whack it?

...i mean my XRR CSS,

moose sprocket hasn't arrived yet, but managed to get a stock XRR CSS from the dealer here. i tried filing the inside shoulders of the grooves in the sprocket to give more ease, but this didnt work too well.

It looks reaaallllly close to fitting, say a 64th or so more to go before the retainer will slide into place. I have tapped gently with a rubber mallet on a chunk of abs fitted over the end of the CS, but am afraid to whack it too hard in case i bugger something else up.

Should i put my purse down and go for it, or would that be a bad idea?

dcparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #54653
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinjames View Post
I just got doing the dave's mod and it all went smooth. bike started right up barely had to tap the starter. i let it wram up for a awhile and took it for a ride. it runs fine at about a quarter throttle but if i open it up it jokes out and spudders but still kinda accelerates. Guessing i have the air fuel mixture off? i backed it out the 2 1/2 turns.
Im at sealevel in washington state with stock exhaust. oh and i used a 55 and a 155 jets, it was suggested to use a 158 but had already ordered the 155 and couldnt find one local so i figured i would try it. its in my shopping cart for my next order
I had the same problem with the "Daves mad mod" deal and thats why I am so opposed to " silver bullet" jet changes. You are too rich.
Go back to 50 or 52 and 152. 2 1/2 is a good starting point. If you change to 50 idel ( pilot ) jet you will need the choke till warmed up. Lean side jetting makes for a very responsive engine.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7

fritzcoinc screwed with this post 02-23-2013 at 12:59 PM
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:59 PM   #54654
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
I prefer the Honda Service Manual. However, it's also nice to have the Clymer Manual, since the Honda Service manual lacks photographs, and is terse in it's explanations.

Spud
Two opinions are always better than one. The technical illustrations in the OEM Honda manual are quite clear in that they show exactly what the brief text is explaining. As the constructor of the machine, Honda has the last word. An outside source such as Clymers provides additional insite and brings to the table shop experience in making repiars as quickly as possible with " lessons learned" shortcuts.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
Old 02-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #54655
Haywood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwombat View Post

What stand is that you are using? Looks heavy duty.
Haywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:47 PM   #54656
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcparks View Post
...i mean my XRR CSS,

moose sprocket hasn't arrived yet, but managed to get a stock XRR CSS from the dealer here. i tried filing the inside shoulders of the grooves in the sprocket to give more ease, but this didnt work too well.

It looks reaaallllly close to fitting, say a 64th or so more to go before the retainer will slide into place. I have tapped gently with a rubber mallet on a chunk of abs fitted over the end of the CS, but am afraid to whack it too hard in case i bugger something else up.

Should i put my purse down and go for it, or would that be a bad idea?

You can "put down your purse" and whack it a little harder. As long as you are making progress, keep tapping away. However, it you tap vigorously and stop making any progress, it's time to grind a little more.

I always recommend either the PBI or Moose Racing, XR650R C/S sprockets. PBI manufactures these sprocket for Moose Racing. These XRR sprockets are a little thinner, and have a deeper chamfer than some others C/S sprockets. Therefore, these sprockets are much easier to persuade onto the XR650L countershaft.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #54657
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
Shell Rimula is good oil, just make sure to get the correct weight.

15W/40
10W/40
10W/30

All those oils should work well in your XR650L. Just avoid any oil which says "energy conserving" on the label. The energy conserving oils won't work well with your bike's wet clutch.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #54658
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
You can "put down your purse" and whack it a little harder. As long as you are making progress, keep tapping away. However, it you tap vigorously and stop making any progress, it's time to grind a little more.

I always recommend either the PBI or Moose Racing, XR650R C/S sprockets. PBI manufactures these sprocket for Moose Racing. These XRR sprockets are a little thinner, and have a deeper chamfer than some others C/S sprockets. Therefore, these sprockets are much easier to persuade onto the XR650L countershaft.

Spud
Next time try the sprocket manufactured by PBI for Moose. These slightly thinner sprockets with a more generious chamfer seem to assemble more easely.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #54659
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
Honesty what a great & refreshing concept

It is refreshing, but I wish I got tickets when I deserved them. Instead I get them for some dumb piddly shit like driving 62 in a 55 in the middle of nowhere. Where are the police writing the hundreds of tickets per day for texting? I could fill my cities coffers AND improve public safety.

mendoteach screwed with this post 02-23-2013 at 03:20 PM
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:13 PM   #54660
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
An open loop system (without oxygen sensor) is used in some bikes,,can work quite well but isn`t as fuel effecient..........but the best part of a closed loop system.. is the O2 can watch and adjust fuel trim for best fuel consumption........and with an 02 sensor it can "self learn" to a point..meaning that as the engine ages or it consistently sees a lean or rich condition ......the pcm can alter it`s long term fuel trim ........and set a code if consistantly too rich/lean........

B
For a long time vehicles ran open loop at WFO, even though they were equipped with an O2 sensor. The O2 sensor just comes into play at less than full power throttle. Emissions test must only be done at partial power.

mendoteach screwed with this post 02-23-2013 at 03:20 PM
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote