Old 02-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #54781
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinjames View Post
failed daves mod
uni filter and smog block off
might go to a pumper carb if i cant figure out this carb. I live at about 100 above sea level and ride up to maybe 5000 on the wapdr
Marlin, are you sure you desmogged it properly? Sounds like you might have a vacuum line/air leak somewhere. Its pretty much impossible to fail Daves mods....if you followed the directions I don't see how you're having the symptoms you are, unless you put it back together wrong/minus a part or 2 etc.
And like somebody else mentioned the fuel screw can have a big effect......be sure you tried adjusting it in and out to get rid of your problems before you give up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
Compared to a pumper carb, the stocker is an exercise in simplicity. If you are having trouble getting the stocker to work, a Keihin FCR may make you crazy. Mikuni's are known to make grown men cry.
Reds right, the pumpers have alot more variables to work with than the stock carb.....the stocker is Rainman compared to an aftermarket pumper
Old 02-25-2013, 12:37 PM   #54782
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Only had it up to 70 for a short amount of time. No head shake that I could notice. At 55-60 it had a pulsing sort of vibration, smooth for a second then vibrating for a second, but it seemed to smooth out at 65+.

Hoping that the vibration at 55 will go away once they are broken in a bit more. I'll be running them at higher pressures on the street (26-28 psi) and then probably airing down to 20 or so when I hit the trails.
Aggressive knobbed dirt tires definately don't ride as nice as more street focused tires on the pavement, but if you do mostly off road like me its prolly worth the trade-off.
Now if the majority of your riding is pavement, or you don't ride aggressively off-road, and like a smoother on-road ride, you may want to reconsider you're tire choice for the next set

BTW I run my knobbies at 22psi dirt and street, been working well so far
Old 02-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #54783
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
I can still do it Rob......i just posted the thread for people that want to try...pm me if you it done....not everything has to about money,this clearly isn`t,this is something i do to help people out...i enjoy doing that...

I was getting flooded with repairs and got screwed by a few newbies that refused to pay after,,so i started the thread..i used to do them for free..but after losing money on those few i had to stop...

Don`t feel quilty.....it`s kinda my way of paying it forward....

B
You're an awesome guy, wish we had more like you around.......this thread and TT are lucky to have you
Old 02-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #54784
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
You're an awesome guy, wish we had more like you around.......this thread and TT are lucky to have you
X2.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #54785
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcole View Post
I agree with tech, I just went out and looked at my 07 and that nipple is not there. Must be a Cali carb.

I don't know anything about the emmisions on these bikes, but I know the emmission setup on the 80's model Toyota trucks make for a lot of headaches if the removal isn't done properly....
All I know is I got the parts from Sudco today to mount up my FCR, all I need now is the extended fuel screw I ordered, when that gets here in a day or 2 the EPA mandated stocker will be coming off, and Mr. Flatslide will be going on
Old 02-25-2013, 02:26 PM   #54786
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,249
This is funny........after reading the last few messages here..

I laughed so hard i spit beer on my computer...

check this link out From kijiji here in my province,,too funny..

http://moncton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ459454201

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer

techforlife screwed with this post 02-25-2013 at 02:38 PM
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:12 PM   #54787
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Perhaps the judicious application of weights on the perimeter of the rim would produce a symmetric balance in the wheel.

Spud
I had them balanced, but it still has a pulsing vibration at around 55-60 mph.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:43 PM   #54788
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
I had them balanced, but it still has a pulsing vibration at around 55-60 mph.
Your powerband is likely out of adjustment. Send it to Brian... he adjusts them for free.
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #54789
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Your powerband is likely out of adjustment. Send it to Brian... he adjusts them for free.
I hear Brian charges an outrageous fee to adjust the powerband.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 02-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #54790
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,249
Quote:
I only adjust blue powerbands for free.red or yellow will cost you 59.95 plus shiiping.no exceptions...

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:00 PM   #54791
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,530
Quote:
I only adjust blue powerbands for free.red or yellow will cost you 59.95 plus shiiping.no exceptions... B
I have a can of blue spraypaint...
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #54792
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Our bikes have power? And a band?

Old 02-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #54793
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
Our bikes have power? And a band?

Mine does now! Sounds like a beast too. Gotta dial in the carb and watch this thing take off from under me.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #54794
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,463
Quote:
I only adjust blue powerbands for free.red or yellow will cost you 59.95 plus shiiping.no exceptions...

B
I hear Fritz uses the orange ones... they are really expensive to adjust. Good excuse to stick it to him AGAIN!
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:22 PM   #54795
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I hear Fritz uses the orange ones... they are really expensive to adjust. Good excuse to stick it to him AGAIN!
I think it's atrocious the way Brian keeps sticking it to Fritz. Not really.

Spud