Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 09:51 AM   #54871
marlinjames
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Those large jets had the correct thread size? If the thread size was correct, and the jets seated to the correct depth, without interference, then they were okay. My replacement jets were the same size as the factory jets, and I have only seen jets the same size, as shown in the following photograph.

Spud
they seemed to seat right with no interference, ill have to take the micrometer to them to make sure they're the same height
marlinjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:27 AM   #54872
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
So, I really like the simplicity and cost of my grip heaters but seeing as how I am going to have to add them back into the wiring harness, I was thinking about getting heated gear instead. I know we have talked about this stuff A LOT but if you guys wouldn't mind recommending some brands or why I shouldn't switch to a 12V outlet for heated gear that I could use for a lot of other things too VS. heated grips I'm all ears.

-Barron
What brand of heated grips are inmates installing on their XR's?
I'm entertaining this model:
http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product...ips/web1007441

Opinions?
Old 02-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #54873
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_ruben View Post
What brand of heated grips are inmates installing on their XR's?
I'm entertaining this model:
http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product...ips/web1007441

Opinions?
The Tusk Grip Heater Kit is much less expensive, works very well, and allows you to choose different hand grips.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...rip+heater+kit

For an additional $5, you can eliminate the ceramic resistor, and wire an inexpensive, pulse width modulator (PWM) device for variable heat control. Or you can install an electronic flasher in the wire for the "low" setting, and ditch the resistor.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #54874
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The Tusk Grip Heater Kit is much less expensive, works very well, and allows you to choose different hand grips.

For an additional $5, you can eliminate the ceramic resistor, and wire an inexpensive, pulse width modulator (PWM) device for variable heat control. Or you can install an electronic flasher in the wire for the "low" setting, and ditch the resistor.

Spud
Thanks for the reply. I have to read up on the pulse wave modulator and the electronic flasher. I'm sure I'll have some questions! Thanks again!
Old 02-26-2013, 03:20 PM   #54875
Cumbacheech
XRated

Oddometer: 823
Quote:

Spud
Spud you got a write up on this? I know there was a bunch of discussion on this topic but i was hoping that there was a nice write up that can easily be printed off and used as a guide. I am not that good when it come to wiring...

Cheers,

Cumbacheech

Pics: Adventure setup, SUMO setup, Dirt setup
Cumbacheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:29 PM   #54876
ltcole
Herpetologist

Oddometer: 85
Fork Brace & Windscreen

Just wondering what benefits the fork brace actually has, and which one y'all recommend?

Also wondering what windscreens people would recommend or not recommend? How do the affect handling when it's windy?

On another note, 10 mph sustained winds, and gusts between 20 and 30 mph make for and interesting ride ...... Had to get some cancer sticks to go with my PBR this evening. Luckily, the store is only a few miles.

Thank you in advance.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:41 PM   #54877
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcole View Post
Just wondering what benefits the fork brace actually has, and which one y'all recommend?

Also wondering what windscreens people would recommend or not recommend? How do the affect handling when it's windy?

On another note, 10 mph sustained winds, and gusts between 20 and 30 mph make for and interesting ride ...... Had to get some cancer sticks to go with my PBR this evening. Luckily, the store is only a few miles.

Thank you in advance.
Out here we have Santa Anna winds 30+ and very gusty. I have found that I hang a knee out into the wind on the upwind side of the bike. It will yaw the bike into the wind and seems to counter act the wind pushing on the bike. I would not do this for a long ride. Something about getting those crotch muscles sore and stiff, it is not something I want to have to deal with.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:43 PM   #54878
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbacheech View Post
Spud you got a write up on this? I know there was a bunch of discussion on this topic but i was hoping that there was a nice write up that can easily be printed off and used as a guide. I am not that good when it come to wiring...

Cheers,

Cumbacheech
I'm not good at wiring either but each time I take the time to understand it, I get better. With that said, I'd be interested in seeing a write up or I may even do one myself!
Old 02-26-2013, 03:56 PM   #54879
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,621
Ruben,

Where were you a month 'n a half or so ago? The grip heater controller's were all talked out.

Actually the fun starts here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....ostcount=51645

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project

mcma111 screwed with this post 02-26-2013 at 04:02 PM
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #54880
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Ruben,

Where were you a month 'n a half or so ago? The grip heater controller's were all talked out.

Shaweet! Thanks.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #54881
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcole View Post

Also wondering what windscreens people would recommend or not recommend? How do the affect handling when it's windy?....
I like the windscreen Barron has (search his name and go back a few pages for a pic) that he called a Cee Bailey's. I don't know the brand but it looks great. The fork mounted windscreen can affect handling at higher speeds due to the wind pressure being exerted on the forks. May cause you to feel wind gusts on the bars more but it will keep the wind off your body to a degree. The thing to watch for is at higher speeds it may cause your fork to start oscillating despite your best effort to hold it steady. I've had that happen at 100 - 110 with a bigger screen on a bigger bike, so it's likely not a problem on an xrl, but if you mount one be cautious the first few times you wick it up just to be sure.

Fork brace secures the moving fork tubes together in two axes - one is to lessen the degree to which the wheel can twist side-to-side relative to the handlebars, the other is to lessen the degree to which one fork leg can compress relative to the other leg. A fork brace is absolutely essential on some bikes, like my 640# Honda street bike, where even a beefier aftermarket brace (superbrace) can make a difference over the stock brace. For an xrl, I find them completely unnecessary as my bike handles just fine in the front both on and off road, plus it's a potential danger spot for a branch or a rock to become lodged locking up the front tire, and that can't be fun. But some guys here swear by them and report great improvement, so I guess it's up to you to decide if your front tire is going awry of the forks and your front end needs stiffening up to mitigate that.

Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #54882
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbacheech View Post

Cheers,

Cumbacheech
I'll write an installation thread, and post the link here.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 02-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #54883
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,250
Quote:
I'll write an installation thread, and post the link here.

Spud
How about a step by step in garage building.......i`ve been looking into a new garage......let me know when you get that done..

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:35 PM   #54884
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Ruben,

Thanks for providing the link, Steve. I didn't have time to look it up earlier. I'm still going to write a short thread on this topic, and include a couple of the other installation tips we discussed in this thread.

Spud
Old 02-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #54885
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
How about a step by step in garage building.......i`ve been looking into a new garage......let me know when you get that done..

B
That's too big a project; you're on you own, Brian.

Spud