Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #54886
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
How about a step by step in garage building.......i`ve been looking into a new garage......let me know when you get that done.. B
I've built a few... be glad to help you with some pointers from a distance!

Might even come up in the summer if you hire me and pay for transportation....

Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:40 PM   #54887
stiggs13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
i tried searching but came up with nothing. I have a 12 volt socket I would like to add to the bike to charge my ifone while camped. Constant power is a plug, although I may ad a switch, mainly want to charge my phone while parked possibly in the future buy a mount. Has anyone done this and is there a good way to tie into the battery without going all the way to the batter box?
stiggs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:45 PM   #54888
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiggs13 View Post
i tried searching but came up with nothing. I have a 12 volt socket I would like to add to the bike to charge my ifone while camped. Constant power is a plug, although I may ad a switch, mainly want to charge my phone while parked possibly in the future buy a mount. Has anyone done this and is there a good way to tie into the battery without going all the way to the batter box?
You might enjoy reading the following thread.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=689875

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #54889
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,514
Quote:
How about a step by step in garage building.......i`ve been looking into a new garage......let me know when you get that done..

B
I have built a couple, happy to offer unosolicited advice.

The first piece of free advice, what ever size you THINK you want, it is too small, built it bigger.
The second, build it tall enough to have a lift in one corner. You say now that you would never want a lift. You will save yourself later.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #54890
stiggs13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
You might enjoy reading the following thread.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=689875

Spud
Thanks Spud
stiggs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:16 PM   #54891
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,189
Quote:
That's too big a project; you're on you own, Brian.

Spud

Yeah,figures.......

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #54892
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
I've built a few... be glad to help you with some pointers from a distance!

Might even come up in the summer if you hire me and pay for transportation....

Hmmmmmmmm...i`ll supply beer,steaks..you can sleep in the garage..

deal???????????

Gotta bring your bike though......i need someone to hit the trails with,nothing but pussies arround here...

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
Old 02-26-2013, 05:23 PM   #54893
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post

The first piece of free advice, what ever size you THINK you want, it is too small, built it bigger.
The second, build it tall enough to have a lift in one corner. You say now that you would never want a lift. You will save yourself later.
Well considering i`m a mechanic/service adviser......can get free hoists as when we upgrade any of the 25 garages they sell the used hoist at scrap steel pricing.........ummmmmm yup..was thinking of that

B
Old 02-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #54894
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
Based on that:
Rule #1: figure out how big you really need it, then double it.
#2: Add a second story above. A portion can be left open for a lift.
also #3: Design to ultimately be heated. Or at least have a heated portion.
Quote:
Hmmmmmmmm...i`ll supply beer,steaks..you can sleep in the garage..
deal???????????
Gotta bring your bike though......i need someone to hit the trails with,nothing but pussies arround here...
B
Sounds good, Brian. I definitly need to bring my bike. Dueling xrl's But it will take all summer to complete the project then.

Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #54895
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
Dont ride that thing if your rubber is not firmly in place!
If your talking about the model Spud posted up for me, I would take a chance if I were not married.

mendoteach screwed with this post 02-26-2013 at 06:53 PM
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:05 PM   #54896
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_ruben View Post
What brand of heated grips are inmates installing on their XR's?
I'm entertaining this model:
http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product...ips/web1007441

Opinions?
Way TF expensive!

Quote:
I'm still going to write a short thread on this topic, and include a couple of the other installation tips we discussed in this thread.

Spud
I may add to it some as I'm switching the handlebars they are on over to the 04.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:12 PM   #54897
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
The fork mounted windscreen can affect handling at higher speeds due to the wind pressure being exerted on the forks. May cause you to feel wind gusts on the bars more but it will keep the wind off your body to a degree. The thing to watch for is at higher speeds it may cause your fork to start oscillating despite your best effort to hold it steady. I've had that happen at 100 - 110 with a bigger screen on a bigger bike, so it's likely not a problem on an xrl, but if you mount one be cautious the first few times you wick it up just to be sure.

Fork brace secures the moving fork tubes together in two axes - one is to lessen the degree to which the wheel can twist side-to-side relative to the handlebars, the other is to lessen the degree to which one fork leg can compress relative to the other leg. A fork brace is absolutely essential on some bikes, like my 640# Honda street bike, where even a beefier aftermarket brace (superbrace) can make a difference over the stock brace. For an xrl, I find them completely unnecessary as my bike handles just fine in the front both on and off road, plus it's a potential danger spot for a branch or a rock to become lodged locking up the front tire, and that can't be fun. But some guys here swear by them and report great improvement, so I guess it's up to you to decide if your front tire is going awry of the forks and your front end needs stiffening up to mitigate that.

So what were you trying to say there anyway?

100-110 mph! An XRL wouldn't do that falling off a cliff! The windscreens that most use for the XRL are way to small to create any noticeable head shake. I've had my 04 up to 94 mph with the a fairly good size windscreen(mounted to the headlight cover) with zero shake. I had a HUGE aeroflow windshield mounted to the handlebars on the 04, up to 80+ mph, for awhile...no head shake. I have one now that is mounted to the handlebars...no head shake. Maybe the fork brace helped eliminate the head shake.

As far as fork braces go, a lot of folks here ride their bikes on the road more than 20 miles to a FS road. Some have even said they improve off-road riding. Don't knock it until you've actually tried one on your bike. Have you tried one on your bike?
To come out and say they are completely unnecessary is total BS. That's like saying knobbies are completely unnecessary on a dirt bike in mud as a street tire will suffice.
My 04 came with one so I didn't have a base line to compare it with. The 08 did not. I rode it for 500 miles without one then I swapped it off the 04. So I now have a base line and that base line told me it does make the front end more stable on and off road. Yeah, I even get off road now and then.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #54898
ltcole
Herpetologist

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
So what were you trying to say there anyway?

100-110 mph! An XRL wouldn't do that falling off a cliff! The windscreens that most use for the XRL are way to small to create any noticeable head shake. I've had my 04 up to 94 mph with the a fairly good size windscreen(mounted to the headlight cover) with zero shake. I had a HUGE aeroflow windshield mounted to the handlebars on the 04, up to 80+ mph, for awhile...no head shake. I have one now that is mounted to the handlebars...no head shake. Maybe the fork brace helped eliminate the head shake.

As far as fork braces go, a lot of folks here ride their bikes on the road more than 20 miles to a FS road. Some have even said they improve off-road riding. Don't knock it until you've actually tried one on your bike. Have you tried one on your bike?
To come out and say they are completely unnecessary is total BS. That's like saying knobbies are completely unnecessary on a dirt bike in mud as a street tire will suffice.
My 04 came with one so I didn't have a base line to compare it with. The 08 did not. I rode it for 500 miles without one then I swapped it off the 04. So I now have a base line and that base line told me it does make the front end more stable on and off road. Yeah, I even get off road now and then.
What brand of windscreen and fork brace would you recommend?

Thanks on off for your input.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:33 PM   #54899
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcole View Post
Just wondering what benefits the fork brace actually has, and which one y'all recommend?

Also wondering what windscreens people would recommend or not recommend? How do the affect handling when it's windy?

On another note, 10 mph sustained winds, and gusts between 20 and 30 mph make for and interesting ride ...... Had to get some cancer sticks to go with my PBR this evening. Luckily, the store is only a few miles.

Thank you in advance.
As OnandOff said (thanks for the props by the way ), I have a Cee Bailey's windscreen and I REALLY like it. I had to mount mine differently since I was running an 8" Trail Tech light at the time, but it was easy to put on. I got very used to it and forgot just how much wind it took off of me, on a multi hour ride after I had to take it off I missed it very much. The guys at Cee Bailey's make a screen specifically for our bike and it mounts up really easy to the OEM headlight shroud. I have had my bike cruising at good speed and never had any issues with it pushing me around. The guys there are great to work with and ship really fast. If you find a pic of my bike (I'd post one but I'm at work) you'll see that the one I have is black, if I could do it over again I would have gotten a tinted one.

I can also say the first one I had saved my bacon when some @@%#%#@# threw a brick at me from a truck going the other direction. The screen was destroyed but the only injury I got was a bruise on my forearm where the brick hit me. After I told the guys there why I was ordering a second one, they asked what my address was and shipped it to me for nothing.

I'm not affiliated with them in any way but when a company has great service, a great product and shows they care about their customers they will always have my business and recommendation

-Barron.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:36 PM   #54900
coffman300
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiggs13 View Post
if you look at the blue circle you will see that is where the helmet lock was .i took a piece of sheet metal and bent it in a u shape and bolted to the old helmet lock bracket.then drilled a hole in it for the 12 v socket.then ran the wires in the back of the battery box with a in line fuse. i put it here so i could charge stuff while i was riding.just pull the cord from your luggage an plug it in.

coffman300 screwed with this post 02-26-2013 at 10:07 PM
coffman300 is offline   Reply With Quote