Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 09:23 PM   #55036
3girlsdad
aka FiddyK

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV BUM View Post
Try wrapping your headers.

dang, who shot papa smurf there in the background???
2008 Honda XR650L - (gone)
3girlsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #55037
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Very frustrating!

I tried to look up the rubber stems for the xrl turn signal mounts, when much to my initial confusion soon giving way to dismay, I discover that Honda doesn't break that part out for this bike. Instead, they offer only the entire turn signal unit for over $40. Why am I looking? Because I found my right rear hanging on by a mere thread...

Go to your dealer and look in their aftermarket catalog. You can find direct replaqcements for less. They all break if you drop the bike on em enough. A couple wraps of duct tape or electrical tape will fix em up for a pretty long time as well

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:00 PM   #55038
nick_rhinocycles
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Wicked Rut Row...this followed me home. Gonna need some help!

This badass lil sombitch just would stay away!

CRF450 Front end!

And... some stuff that needs fixin. Who's got a working carb for an XR650L that will part ways with it?

I'm stoked!
--Nick

nick_rhinocycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:11 PM   #55039
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenno View Post
I bought 2 XR650L's recently and immediately noticed they run 10 deg celsius hotter in all of the same conditions than both of my XR600's run.

When I hit sloppy mud on my 600's I noticed the temps dropped immediately by 20 Deg C but once the mud dried out (that was now packed around the oil tube between the headers) the temp would rise a bit but was always 10 deg C lower than before.

So I bought GSMarks oil cooler (a work of art) in readiness for my Desert rides this year to make the oil last longer between changes and thought I would see if I could get the 650 down to 600 temps before I fitted it so I insulated the oil tube between the headers and it most definitely drops the temp by 10 deg C right across the same riding conditions.

I think it could be improved upon without wrapping my headers.

Here is the test oil tube wrap

I wonder why the XR600R would be different from the XR650L in this regard?

Putting vents in the front fender should help a lot if heat flow from the exhaust headers is a problem, especially if mud helps to insulate the pipes and downtube.

Ceramic coating on both the inside and outside of the exhaust header should also help heat to flow out the exhaust, rather than radiate outward. The ceramic coating on the exterior of the exhaust header also helps to prevent rust, and reduces cleaning maintenance.

I might add, installing an oil cooler is still a very effective solution, since it also radiates a lot of heat whenever the engine is stopped, as well as radiating heat while the engine is running. Since installing my Spud Cooler, my oil temperatures drop quickly whenever I stop the bike, even for a brief period of time. After re-starting the engine, it requires a lot of hard riding to get the oil temperatures to rise once again.

In case anyone is interested, here is a link to my Spud Cooler installation thread.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781962

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:16 PM   #55040
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_rhinocycles View Post
This badass lil sombitch just would stay away!

CRF450 Front end!

And... some stuff that needs fixin. Who's got a working carb for an XR650L that will part ways with it?

I'm stoked!
--Nick

Welcome; that's the nicest sumo XR600R I've seen yet! Your bike looks very muscular. Besides the USD forks and both fenders, I really like your headlight, and the way you trimmed the side covers.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 02-28-2013 at 10:52 PM
Old 02-28-2013, 10:30 PM   #55041
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhking View Post
so i got all my recent upgrades done. 5.8 g tank, led blinkers, tms bark busters, new tail light, and bar risers. all i got left is to get new stickers for the tank, better pegs, new chain for the 40T sprocket i got, and lowering kit. does anyone know where i can get the lowring link thats not a crazy amount of money, and i need oppinions on chains. i dont know if i should go oring or non????????????
You've been busy!

I highly recommend the extra-wide, Chinese foot pegs. They aren't always available when you want them; I suggest you get a pair right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STEEL-FOOT-P...b0ba8d&vxp=mtr

As previously stated, the RK 520EXW drive chain is an excellent value; I really like mine.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...-XW-RING-Chain

I also like my Performance Design lowering link. Besides reducing the saddle height, the lowering link will also help to preserve your chain slider. Here's a link to my installation thread, which gives step-by-step instructions telling how to install the lowering link.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/839...lowering-link/

Spud
Old 02-28-2013, 10:44 PM   #55042
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Very frustrating!

I tried to look up the rubber stems for the xrl turn signal mounts, when much to my initial confusion soon giving way to dismay, I discover that Honda doesn't break that part out for this bike. Instead, they offer only the entire turn signal unit for over $40. Why am I looking? Because I found my right rear hanging on by a mere thread...
I agree with Kenny. I bought the BikeMaster 26-1036 turn signals for my 200cc trail bike. I like them so much, I also use them as replacement turn signals for my XR650L. These turn signals are well manufactured, and very close copies of Honda, OEM turn signals.

If you shop around, you can find the BikeMaster, Honda turns signals selling for $20, or less.

http://www.bikertrends.com/index.php...ducts_id=27881

Please note, the stems of these turn signals are about 1-inch longer than the stems of the rear turn signals on the XR650L. Otherwise, these turn signals appear to be almost exact copies of the XR650L turn signals.

Spud
Old 02-28-2013, 11:35 PM   #55043
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

The latest, James Bond 007 movie, Skyfall, has been released on DVD. James Bond raced his CRF250R across the rooftops of the Grand Bazaar in the movie SkyFall. Here's a video describing how the stunt was filmed.

Here's the actual footage from the movie.

I just acquired a CRF250X, but I won't be racing it across any roof tops.

Spud
Old 03-01-2013, 12:50 AM   #55044
Kenno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
I'm sort of with you.
I like simple stuff and it took 5 minutes to throw on a test shield to prove or disprove the mud theory.
Spuds Idea is also up there with simplicity and could be added to assist.
I reckon there could also be heat getting radiated backwards from the head to the oil tube as well so header wrap won't solve that.
Anyone can run this cheap test ruling out head heat or exhaust heat by taping either front or back or all sides of the tube including the engine mounts which would send heat in there as well, maybe even the rocker gear oil line just under the headers.
Did you measure temp drops before and after header wrap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV BUM View Post
Try wrapping your headers.

"Parts left out cost nothing and cause no service problems" (Kettering)
Kenno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:58 AM   #55045
Kenno
Studly Adventurer

I'm going to do it to both of my XR600's now since it was so succesfull.

Spud has a point, why does the 650 run 10Deg C hotter than the 600?
I thought pumping more air would make it cooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
Thats GOLD info right there and a very smart mod for those that dont want extra oil lines etc...

most excellent!

Old 03-01-2013, 01:08 AM   #55046
Kenno
Studly Adventurer

A neat little shield might be the go but prove it with a couple of dollars for the test first just to be sure, I used cable ties to hold it there for the test on a 367klm ride yesterday and you can get the heat proof tape anywhere, I could be fibbing ('cept I aint).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexLeroy View Post
That is a seriously shrewd observation. Makes ya' wonder if a simple heat deflector on the order of an exhaust pipe heat shield would have a similar effect.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:14 AM   #55047
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

The following video contains some good tips regarding the installation of handlebars and hand grips. Although the bike in the video is a CRF250R, most of the tips will also apply to the XR650L.

Spud
Old 03-01-2013, 03:33 AM   #55048
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Welcome; that's the nicest sumo XR600R I've seen yet! Your bike looks very muscular. Besides the USD forks and both fenders, I really like your headlight, and the way you trimmed the side covers.

Spud
Believe thats an L?
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:47 AM   #55049
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
Believe thats an L?
You're right, Tom. That bike has an electric starter, but the battery has been relocated. I wonder where he put the battery?

If anyone is interested, you can read my lithium battery relocation thread at the following link.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666195

Spud
Old 03-01-2013, 03:50 AM   #55050
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,655
Spud,

You sure are working your post count tonight.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote