Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 07:17 AM   #55156
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,439
Sorry for getting in the middle of the hot cams but I now have had two AFX DS helmets. Very comfortable & well made. I wear a large & when new fits really well but after a few months becomes a little sloppy. Replaced the cheek pads with medium pads & all is well. The newer 39 model has a quick release chin strap that is great.
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:40 AM   #55157
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
The guy I mentioned earlier was riding with a non-DOT novelty helmet (that's what I meant by cheap) on a cruiser. A guy that worked for me on my last ship hit a 10" pole with his head going about 60MPH (the handlebar lock engaged on his bike while he was doing a wheelie so when he finally dropped the front it catapulted him into a fence that he couldn't see cause it was dark and the fence was black, his helmet was caved in and there was no amount of protection that would have stopped that injury from killing him.

I tried looking up the report you mentioned but I'm out at sea and download time is slow to say the least, but I could read some excerpts on other pages that seem to be from one of the Hurt studies, (which is very dry for the most part) . I guess the thing that really surprises me from that reading is that there haven't been any real advances in head protection... but I guess (like you said) if you're going fast it doesn't matter what's on your head so why would companies bother to spend lots of money on something that doesn't help. It was scary to read that the lower density liners with hard shells (the only ones to pass the test) were only one group and not the standard.

I saw one company come out with a helmet that had "skin" on it to help with the initial slide and increase suspension but once again, too much speed/impact and you die (they look cool though ). There was another company that has some kind of shock absorbers too but like the first one it seems more gimmick than function/ I agree that the more expensive ones have a better fit and finish, but I guess they better if they're going to cost more and do nothing extra for protection (unfortunately).

Have you seen the airbag jackets for bikes? They had them in the shop I was in last week too, cool idea but I don't know how much they would actually help either.

I wasn't trying to start any poo, and now I have a lot to read about out here so thank you

-Barron

Here is the only thing I have seen new in helemts for sometime (it AIN'T cheap either):

http://www.6dhelmets.com

I have never seen any test to compare them with anything else, but if they were better than a shell with polystyrene I would kickdown the $. For real world test that kid that fell from two stories two weeks ago in Supercross than hit his head into a berm had one on for whatever that's worth. Those Alpinestars and Dianese airbags have been in development for a nearly a decade. They are pretty neat.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:55 AM   #55158
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Its kind of funny , but did you ever notice that XRs Only only sells Hotcams? You must know more than they do too. After the dumbasses screw up their first cam job , they usually try something else , while blaming the parts. They have someone more knowledgeable help them or do it for them the next time. Ive read ALL of the stories and every post . Half of the people here cant fix their own lunch. Not trying to be pompous , but its true.
As for XRs only, they can't even manage to ship an order out within a week of when it's placed, give you any information about your order, and half the time answering the phone and giving useful information about anything in somewhat grammatically correct English eludes them. If they are such experts with the L, why don't they make their own cams–at least to spec.? CW even started doing his on big fins because they were SO slow. They sell Hot Cams for the same reason everyone else does, to make $. Are you cantankerous Joe or just a genius?
Old 03-03-2013, 07:58 AM   #55159
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I meant if theyre problematic , why would XRs Only continue to sell them. They also do motor work and install them. It wouldnt be very good for thier reputation. XRs Only sells Hotcams for other bikes as well. XRs sometimes have oiling problems. Not all pitbulls are going to eat your children either but thats mostly what you hear. I tend to deal in facts and evidence , not hearsay. Some people can break a hammer.
I'm not sure they have a great reputation (at least that I've seen. I've ordered a few times. Once the order went smooth. Oh well, .750 will get you into the baseball Hall of Fame.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:01 AM   #55160
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,637
Back in the day it was Al Bakers XR's Only until the plane Al was in hit some power lines. Bye, bye Al. I think Al's son took over for a while but the current owner is just making a living off of the name. No on going parts development like back in the day.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:02 AM   #55161
Gone14s
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
I'm not sure they have a great reputation (at least that I've seen. I've ordered a few times. Once the order went smooth. Oh well, .750 will get you into the baseball Hall of Fame.
Well I have a few things that I like on there web site. Was fixin to put a order in, but now after reading this comments I'm beginning to wonder if it is worth the trouble??

Kurt

http://s1085.photobucket.com/albums/...900%20elefant/
Gone14s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:04 AM   #55162
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pngaudioguy View Post
Mr. Hurt's research is definitely intriguing. Here's another slightly more recent study that appears to have been very scientifically conducted:

http://www.msf-usa.org/imsc/proceedi...clehelmets.pdf

Just learned a bunch about helmets.
Thanks for sharing. Those test look similar to the tests the were published in motorcyclist from a peer reviewed journal. The top scoring helmet was from Pep Boys. It cost $79. Probably not the latest word in comfort, quietness, style etc. I probably wouldn't wear it
Old 03-03-2013, 08:08 AM   #55163
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone14s View Post
Well I have a few things that I like on there web site. Was fixin to put a order in, but now after reading this comments I'm beginning to wonder if it is worth the trouble??

Kurt
You'll get your stuff. Eventually. If somebody else carries what your looking for, I would fish there first. I have their chain guard and temp gauge. I had made a temp gauge first, but it was hard to see in bright sunlight so I went analog. I'm not real impressed by it. My $2 unit was better, I just had to keep a little cover on it. I do like their exhaust and would like to strap that to my CW mill. If CW would get off his duff and make us something to go with the large displacement motors that would be great Just kiddin' CW!
Old 03-03-2013, 08:19 AM   #55164
Gone14s
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
I found a better temp gauge on ebay out of China. It was a little better and a bit bigger easy to read. Have not had a problem with it leaking since putting it on (6 months now).
I'll email them and see if there going to be a problem and to see if they have the parts on hand before I order.

When I sell items I make sure to get them on there way right away, I like to be treated the same way.

Kurt

http://s1085.photobucket.com/albums/...900%20elefant/
Gone14s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:24 AM   #55165
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
As for XRs only, they can't even manage to ship an order out within a week of when it's placed, give you any information about your order, and half the time answering the phone and giving useful information about anything in somewhat grammatically correct English eludes them. If they are such experts with the L, why don't they make their own cams–at least to spec.? CW even started doing his on big fins because they were SO slow. They sell Hot Cams for the same reason everyone else does, to make $. Are you cantankerous Joe or just a genius?
So your complaints are about customer service , not their work or parts. I can understand that. Its not like I work there or anything. Not cantankerous , but I dont believe everything I hear. Why does it always turn into a pirahna feeding frenzy here when someone disagrees with the IN crowd. Just because its on the internet doesnt make it true.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:30 AM   #55166
my6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
I'm a French model...Bonjour..
Old 03-03-2013, 08:35 AM   #55167
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
Sorry for getting in the middle of the hot cams but I now have had two AFX DS helmets. Very comfortable & well made. I wear a large & when new fits really well but after a few months becomes a little sloppy. Replaced the cheek pads with medium pads & all is well. The newer 39 model has a quick release chin strap that is great.
No apology necessary , this place is everybodys. Some people forget that from time to time. Anymore I usually buy helmets a little tight because after awhile the padding relaxes a little.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:45 AM   #55168
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
So your complaints are about customer service , not their work or parts. I can understand that. Its not like I work there or anything. Not cantankerous , but I dont believe everything I hear. Why does it always turn into a pirahna feeding frenzy here when someone disagrees with the IN crowd. Just because its on the internet doesnt make it true.

True, my personal comaint is with their service. My point is if you don't have it together enough to ship things out reliably, or commincate basic info. over the phone, how can you make good, informed judgements about the products you carry? When I was new to the L I called them and picked their brains and they didn't seem to be very knowledgeable about a bike they claim to specialize in. Not very confidence inspiring to be sure.

The Hot Cam may be great, but I won't try one. I have never seen a stock cam, a Megacycle, CW or Webcam fail like the Hot Cams have on the L. Maybe the Hot Cams are great, and that only ham fisted mechanics gravitate towards them and not other brands, but I doubt it. Since the Hot Cams are all new, as opposed to regrinds, I'm guessing there is some inconsistency in their heat treating. Hot Cams sells their cams in the zillions, so maybe they have quality control issues? Maybe the way they make a cam, doesn't play we'll with the L motor? I see lots of them in moto bikes, put in by total hacks that work fine, so...? Putting a cam into the L isn't that hard and there isn't that much to mess up, so Hot Cams numerous failures compared the the ZERO I've seen on others cams is suspect. Just sayin'

One more thing, thanks for telling me that if it's on the Internet it's not always true, I can finally stop reading up on and worrying about chemtrails.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:45 AM   #55169
ID XR600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Back in the day it was Al Bakers XR's Only until the plane Al was in hit some power lines. Bye, bye Al. I think Al's son took over for a while but the current owner is just making a living off of the name. No on going parts development like back in the day.
No doubt just milking the last few squirts, then bye bye.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #55170
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,637
Was in not our own Wattner that had a XRL motor built by XR's Only that had the Hot Cam take a shit.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote