Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #55216
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltor View Post
hey guys - as a new xrl owner just thought i'd share an experience I had. I'm sure this has been covered to death, but thought I'd chime in anyway.

Picked up a used bike from a fellow adv'er - everything is great. Lots of mods, nice shape, etc, but one thing bugged me. It was impossible to get neutral while it was running. I figured, "oh well, so maybe it needs a clutch". Not the end of the world.

Anyway, I installed an oil cooler and changed the oil at the same time. Old oil looked clean. I used Rotella T6 synthetic - and like magic, neutral is SUPER easy to find now. Night and day difference.

just thought I'd share,

Jon

pic with cooler installed :

Not sure how much the synthetic contributes, but old dirt oil is an undoubtedly bigger drag on a wet clutch. It just never unloads enough to find neutral. That load is the same reason it's easier to find with your engine off. Try some energy conserving oil. It will be really easy (kidding!!!).
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #55217
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girlsdad View Post
the XRL is gone, ... replaced by the following. i did the maiden voyage today. ...
Well, 3GD, no more excuses! How's it run?

If stickers tell the story...
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #55218
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Dave Hawaii View Post
Here's my 2001 daily rider Turned 98,000 miles Friday. The bike Honda should have built.It finally dropped a valve seat at 92,000 so a complete rebuild was done.
Frame and engine covers and hubs stripped and Powdercoated black. New Excel rims 2.50 drop center rear,1.60 front Polished stainless spokes w/red anodized nipples. Engine rebuild with 16T second, JE piston, new cylinder and head, ported head, stock cam, FMF power Bomb W/ Q4 exhaust. FCR 40carb and Noss adapter, Revalved rear shock, Front forks from CRF450R. CRFX Wheel W/ speedo drive
Forks polished and Black anodized by Race Tech. All CRF controls on Pro Taper bars Moose Bark Busters, 15/46 gearing DID chain,Lower front chain roller Air box cut and modified to accept electrical components and Shoai battery. New plastic from 2012, Cycra front fender, new seat, IMS 4 Gal. tank IMS footpegs, XR600R side panel.GPS BMW turn signals,Twisted Throttle rack Garmin 660 GPS
A beauty Thanks for sharing. Could you post a picture of your CRF throttle set-up? The CRF set up might work really nice with my new HSR carb. I'm itching to dump the L throttle. What a pain in the ass it is to clean assemble etc. Also, tell us how she runs!
Old 03-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #55219
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Nice exotic scoot 3GD. I can assume you weren't doing "adventure" riding of any sort if that bike is a replacement for L. That's like buying a world rally car after you sell your over lander. Now tell us about it, but don't say how much lighter or faster it is than your L. We know that and we like you, so we don't want to kick your ass out of our club
Old 03-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #55220
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhitmore44 View Post
OK, gave up and ordered a new CDI tonight. I've de-soldered any re-soldered my old one 3 times Thought for sure I had it fixed this last time, but after some riding in the rougher stuff it started acting up. I think I'll also try mounting it under the seat or in the air box. I wasn't planning on doing the battery relocation, but maybe less vibes for the new CDI will make it last longer. Bike has 7300 miles on it.
I recommend relocating your CDI unit in the air box, Jay. Both of your proposed relocations will stop the CDI unit from enduring the relentless pounding it receives at the back of the subframe. However, relocating the CDI unit to the air box will allow it to be cooled by the air entering the carburetor. These DC CDI-units get pretty warm while operating; the thermal expansion and contraction probably accelerate the degradation of the solder joints. Keeping the CDI unit cooler can only help to extend its life.

My repaired CDI unit has been working great for the last 26,500 miles.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #55221
3girlsdad
aka FiddyK

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
Nice exotic scoot 3GD. I can assume you weren't doing "adventure" riding of any sort if that bike is a replacement for L. That's like buying a world rally car after you sell your over lander. Now tell us about it, but don't say how much lighter or faster it is than your L. We know that and we like you, so we don't want to kick your ass out of our club
just wanted something street legal enough to ride up to an hour away. the rekluse core exp is friggin amazing. the power is awesome but really smooth on this bike. maybe it's the rekluse. i dunno, as i haven't ridden it without it. the front suspension was redone by race tech, with gold valves etc. it's frankly too harsh/stiff, even for my fast arse. the front end "deflects" a lot on rocks. i need to dial it in. today was my first day riding it. i need to up the rear spring for my weight. overall the thing pulls like a tractor and just can't hardly stall it with the rekluse. i'm pretty darn happy
2008 Honda XR650L - (gone)
3girlsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #55222
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by pngaudioguy View Post
That was initially my take on it as well. Then I thought about the cost of brain injury. I went out and tried on a couple high end helmets. My head didn't fit a few of the brands, and I ended up settling on a $750 helmet from the previous year that was on sale for $400. I don't regret it a bit. That thing is so damn comfortable. If the occasion does arise that it meets a solid impact, I'll be replacing it immediately. You only get one go round the merry go round, you know...

It's just my take on it, others will say that their $100 helmet has served them great, and they're probably right. Don't let money be the deciding factor on something like a helmet, I say.
Higher price doesn't mean better protection. Many tests have found that cheap helmets protect as well or better than expensive. Comfort and weight are where the expensive ones seem to shine.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:00 PM   #55223
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
just wanted something street legal enough to ride up to an hour away. the rekluse core exp is friggin amazing. the power is awesome but really smooth on this bike. maybe it's the rekluse. i dunno, as i haven't ridden it without it. the front suspension was redone by race tech, with gold valves etc. it's frankly too harsh/stiff, even for my fast arse. the front end "deflects" a lot on rocks. i need to dial it in. today was my first day riding it. i need to up the rear spring for my weight. overall the thing pulls like a tractor and just can't hardly stall it with the rekluse. i'm pretty darn happy
Street legal enough? Does that thing even have blinkers? I want a Rekluse for my RM. Rode one once for a bit, that was enough. Take some clicks out of that fork. You gots yourself too much damping.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:21 PM   #55224
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,515
Ordered!

Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:26 PM   #55225
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinjames View Post
Is it normal to have no real passing power at 65? I could pass but definitely wasn't quick. Lol

what other seats do you all recomend? i was in so much pain riding today.
Yep pretty much normal, for a stock motor. If you want even more passing fun, try riding the high plains of Eastern Montana, or Wyoming or Colorado. The speed limit on two lane roads is often 70 MPH. Because the terrain is relatively flat it is easy to forget that you are between 5 and 6000 feet in elevation. So your cruising along about the speed limit, and come up behind someone, go to roll on the throttle to pass, only to discover the you have been running at full throttle.

Russel makes a good seat.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:54 AM   #55226
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
A beauty Thanks for sharing. Could you post a picture of your CRF throttle set-up? The CRF set up might work really nice with my new HSR carb. I'm itching to dump the L throttle. What a pain in the ass it is to clean assemble etc. Also, tell us how she runs!
The CRF works exactly like the XRL throttle. The only difference is that the CRF one pulls cable quicker than the XRL. Less twist for full noise. So... taking a CRF throttle apart is every bit the PITA as the XRL one.
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:16 AM   #55227
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l View Post
... try riding the high plains of Eastern Montana, or Wyoming or Colorado. The speed limit on two lane roads is often 70 MPH. Because the terrain is relatively flat it is easy to forget that you are between 5 and 6000 feet in elevation. So your cruising along about the speed limit, and come up behind someone, go to roll on the throttle to pass, only to discover the you have been running at full throttle. ...
That's funny, Walter!

I haven't had the pleasure of attempting to operating my xrl at those altitudes. You would laugh at the fact that we refer to the Appalachians as mountains. The valley floor here averages about 1200' and our tallest peaks in the immediate vicinity are 4400-4500 feet. That's a far cry from what you're talking about but I'm happy to experience that it's not a problem at all to blow by slow cagers doing 50 to 60 on the back roads around here. I have some riding buddies who don't seem to mind plodding along behind crawling cajers but that to me is interfering with my riding experience. I can roll it on HERE at 55, tap my horn, zip on by, and be pulling back to our lane cresting 80 by the time you get to HERE reading. It doesn't waste much time. But of course the bike is within short reach of being toppped out by then, so I tend to hang in the 60 to 65 window on long-term asphalt runs.

The ability to blow by slow cagers is especially critical on our "mountain" passes where the road sinues its way up and over with only one lane in each direction! I find it very unpleasant to be feeling like I'm losing the opportunity to enjoy the road. This is no street bike, mind you, but fairly capapable, at least around here, if you don't hold back the ponies.

Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:44 AM   #55228
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Mega Cycle will NOT accept a Hot Cam core for one of their regrinds. Has something to do with the sub par steel the Hot Cam is made of.

Just saying.
Might it also be the fact that the HotCam is made different than the OEM (i.e. no decompressor)?

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:04 AM   #55229
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
Might it also be the fact that the HotCam is made different than the OEM (i.e. no decompressor)?

RZ Rob

Nope. I've talked with them. They are only fifteen miles away from me. I go there to drop off and pick up cams and head gaskets sets.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #55230
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,579
Quote:
the XRL is gone, but i fully intend on getting another one before too long. she is currently replaced by the following. i did the maiden voyage today. i still enjoy keeping up with this thread. and yes, steve the ignore button is nice. like muting some ppl no here

A real beaut! Love the stickers, love the Racetech suspension, & LOVE the REKLUSE. Now I really want a trip to Austin. Maybe a ride down the block & back?
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote