Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #55336
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
In short

I'm thinking it easier to pay $1.50 for 4 stainless steel Allen/hex bolts that that to search for a perfect screwdriver. If one of my 50 don't fit, than piss on those screws. Aside from that the Phillips style head is lame for auto/motorcycle fasteners, unless you need a flush fit in a something very thin. I found a screwdriver that fit with nearly zero play, has a big rubber grip and I pushed and turned for all I was worth; the screwdriver didn't detectably lift and turned right through the screw. The screws were WAY tighter than they need be (especially considering that ANYONE is going to put new jets in a new carb), and softer than is necessary. I'm young (well, fairly), opinionated and critical. I think those screws are lame, and shouldn't be put on motorcycles and if they are they run a sporting chance of being stripped by somebody who doesn't want to go search the hardwares for store for some slightly different and may slightly better #2 Phillips in the chance that it fit a screw standard not used in the United States nearly at all.

Now, I feel better. Time to fire up the Dremel when I get home.

Not only are those screws not standard to any others (why have a standard if no one follows) they are also soft. Probably to make sure the head strips before the threads strip. Then you have the issue steel and aluminum trying to weld itself together. Most the time it takes a impact driver to knock them lose. It's always fun to try to balance the carb and wack the driver with a hammer at the same time I'll take the allen heads any day.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #55337
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girlsdad View Post
fritz, i don't ignore advice. i ignore snarky smart @ss comments i'm always up for listening to both sides of the coin. he was apparently joking, which i didn't get. i don't think many others do either.
You could try adjusting your attitude and re-reading
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #55338
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post

Go ahead... what do you really think of those screws?

I think you should be relieved to realize how lucky you are not to have grown up in the era of flat-bladed screws and drivers. The Phillips is a God-send!
I have always said that the inventor of the flatblade screw should
have been assassinated
Old 03-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #55339
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,365
Quote:

I think you should be relieved to realize how lucky you are not to have grown up in the era of flat-bladed screws and drivers. The Phillips is a God-send!
Well...certainly for speed, safety and the ability to not mar everything you work on the Phillips beats a straight blade, but maybe not for torque. Really, who on God's green Earth would build a ramp into a fastener?
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #55340
larryk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
IMS Decals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
I bought the IMS tank decals about 4 months ago now I believe.....they got to me with no delays, and went on pretty well. They aren't sticking perfect, but considering how hard it is to get ANYthing to stick to an 8 year old plastic tank they're doing pretty good. For a dirt bike I'm happy with them, really did a great job of sharpening up the bikes looks, and hiding the yellowing/use to be white tank.
Hey Sierra Thumper, would love to see pics of the IMS decals.
Did you purchase direct? Didn't see them on IMS website . Thanks!
larryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #55341
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleplant View Post
I have always said that the inventor of the flathead screw should
have been assassinated
My man Mike! These young whippersnappers sure missed out on a grand opportunity to develop patience and screwing skill. Great to see you post, it reminds me of old times! Peace, amigo.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 03-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #55342
flyingwombat
frozen dead guy

Oddometer: 709
Quote:
Well...certainly for speed, safety and the ability to not mar everything you work on the Phillips beats a straight blade, but maybe not for torque. Really, who on God's green Earth would build a ramp into a fastener?
The phillips head screw was invented specifically for that reason - torque limiting, because torque limiting drivers weren't around yet. Also for the self-centering ability. At least, according to Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rives#Phillips
Old 03-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #55343
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltor View Post
hey guys - as a new xrl owner just thought i'd share an experience I had. I'm sure this has been covered to death, but thought I'd chime in anyway.

Picked up a used bike from a fellow adv'er - everything is great. Lots of mods, nice shape, etc, but one thing bugged me. It was impossible to get neutral while it was running. I figured, "oh well, so maybe it needs a clutch". Not the end of the world.

Anyway, I installed an oil cooler and changed the oil at the same time. Old oil looked clean. I used Rotella T6 synthetic - and like magic, neutral is SUPER easy to find now. Night and day difference.

just thought I'd share,

Jon

pic with cooler installed :

Synthetic oils good stuff, I've been running it since my first turbo bike years ago. Nice clean bike btw.....too bad it won't stay in display mode for long
Old 03-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #55344
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l View Post
Yep pretty much normal, for a stock motor. If you want even more passing fun, try riding the high plains of Eastern Montana, or Wyoming or Colorado. The speed limit on two lane roads is often 70 MPH. Because the terrain is relatively flat it is easy to forget that you are between 5 and 6000 feet in elevation. So your cruising along about the speed limit, and come up behind someone, go to roll on the throttle to pass, only to discover the you have been running at full throttle.

Russel makes a good seat.

Walter
Yep I ride at 5000ft and up, and it took quite a few mods (with more coming) to get enough highway power to satisfy me
Old 03-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #55345
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,551
Quote:
Fritzie

If those screws are anything like the ones on a stock carb, they are raging P'sOS! Allen head bolts are so far superior to any factory crap it isn't funny.

Quote:
You could try adjusting your attitude and re-reading
Now that's funny!

This reminds me of the story of the boy who cried wolf.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #55346
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwombat View Post
The phillips head screw was invented specifically for that reason - torque limiting, because torque limiting drivers weren't around yet. Also for the self-centering ability. At least, according to Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rives#Phillips
Way to dig for facts. I'm not about to claim Phillips is the best head for torque application, but I will say that overall, including the newfangled 'improvements" which can be better for torque, the Phillips is still my favorite. Maybe it has to do with the ease in which I use them. They go on and off the bit like a cinch, and I can almost always break the shank before letting the bit slip in the head. I guess I've used a lot of them over the years; I wouldn't be surprised if it was reaching 100,000 by now. My motto is screw it up. I usually buy ten pounds at a time, that's a lot of screws. I use 'em for everything. Or so it seems. I keep a supply for construction from little bitty one-inchers to 3-1/2 inch honkers that take a boatload of torque to seat. I've tried the torx alternatives and they're great when new, lots of torque capability and the engagement doesn't require such diligence. But they're much harder to clean out for removal in the case that becomes necessary. It's not that I haven't stripped out the head on Phillips'; that's how I learned when I was a kid. But I think I've got it down pretty well now. So I'm lobbying on behalf of their due respect here.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #55347
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
I got sick of a fellow inmates lousy attitude towards everybody, and called them on it, full well knowing I'd get a banning for it, but it was WELL worth it
Getting banned for a week....meaningless
Saying what needs to be said (and what nobody else will) and getting under an a-holes skin bigtime......priceless

And this is just the beginning .....no more banning for me, I've already got to say what needed to be said, in the proper context , but there'll be plenty of forum legal attitude from me, from now on, everytime I come across that indivdual. Its going to be fun....for me anyway

In all my years of being on internet forums, this is the first time I've been banned or put people on ignore, this is a special place in several ways
You know...when I read this i kind of cringed. Continually screwing with an inmate isn't cool in general and especially in the eyes of the mods.

I just happened to see a few brand new posts of ST in head explody. That has to be a new record for being reinstated then banned...again I wonder if this banning is going to be a week or an eternity.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #55348
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

When I was a kid, I used to curse the phillips screws on my little jap smoker. I'd bad-mouth 'em all over town. Good thing I did, because someone introduced me to the impact driver. Seat the bit and tap it with a hammer,and voila! screw broken loose and head perfect. I was so tickled to have more funds for riding that I didn't have to set back on allen head replacements, a set of which wasn't exactly an inexpensive undertaking at the time.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #55349
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,647
Ban Hammer

Boy what a dumb ass.

That sure didn't take to long did it???

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:57 PM   #55350
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,166
Quote:
In short

I'm thinking it easier to pay $1.50 for 4 stainless steel Allen/hex bolts that that to search for a perfect screwdriver. If one of my 50 don't fit, than piss on those screws. Aside from that the Phillips style head is lame for auto/motorcycle fasteners, unless you need a flush fit in a something very thin. I found a screwdriver that fit with nearly zero play, has a big rubber grip and I pushed and turned for all I was worth; the screwdriver didn't detectably lift and turned right through the screw. The screws were WAY tighter than they need be (especially considering that ANYONE is going to put new jets in a new carb), and softer than is necessary. I'm young (well, fairly), opinionated and critical. I think those screws are lame, and shouldn't be put on motorcycles and if they are they run a sporting chance of being stripped by somebody who doesn't want to go search the hardwares for store for some slightly different and may slightly better #2 Phillips in the chance that it fit a screw standard not used in the United States nearly at all.

Now, I feel better. Time to fire up the Dremel when I get home.

Try this...wipper snapper........take some valve grinding compoound,,put in screw and then insert screwdriver and try one more time...old trick,,the carbide grit bites into both parts and will prevent slipage.......

If that doesn`t work.......well screwit smack the shit out of it

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is online now   Reply With Quote