Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #55351
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,676
I find that a screwdriver that you can change the bit and put a new, high quality tip in works pretty good at stubborn carb screws....Also a smack with a hammer helps
Wattner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #55352
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,054
When screws give me shit I just break out the drill and bits. Drill the head off and the thread comes right out. Then it's replaced by a nice stainless allen head bolt. Take that! BAM!!!

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #55353
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
I know this isn't XRL relevant, but you guys obviously know fun. USARM is accepting applications for cornerworkers beginning today for MotoGP & World Superbike. http://www.usarm.org/motogp.php

I've been doing this for years now. It's the best seat in the house and you get paid. I've met all the top riders and some I've even pushed their bike off the track. I made this handout last year to help workers instantly ID a rider involved in an incident.

RZ Rob
Rob, that is really cool, and good on you for volunteering for this (even if they pay you). I lived in NZ for a few years, and one of my co-workers was a race official at these kind of events. He would get excited in the week before the big races, and bug the *&$% out of us with his "Yellow Flag Waving Techniques." You don't do that, do you?

pd
Old 03-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #55354
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Fritzie

Go ahead... what do you really think of those screws?

I think you should be relieved to realize how lucky you are not to have grown up in the era of flat-bladed screws and drivers. The Phillips is a God-send!
Ummmmmmmmmm...i disagree...phillip and JIS screws suck ass,,always did,,always will......i`d much rather see inverted TORX or even regular Torx head screws used on machinery...the idiot that designed a phillips screw did so because he wanted to piss off anyone attempting their removal..

I mean really,think about it,,a screw designed with ramps like that is designed to force the screwdriver back out when pressure is applied in either direction...

Same guy that invented that piece of crap probably lived with mom till he was 50...

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer

techforlife screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 06:15 PM
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #55355
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
... I just happened to see a few brand new posts of ST in head explody. That has to be a new record for being reinstated then banned...again I wonder if this banning is going to be a week or an eternity.
I don't visit head explody because my head is already explody, but I went searching there to see what he said. So, I'm guessing that his attack on that person that I'm seeing caused him to be banned again??? Or was it from something more extreme that was removed? I guess we know he's banned again because his name doesn't show up in the members' list? Hate to see it; I think he was a helpful and entertaining guy from our interactions here.

Okay Brian, you screw the way you like and I'll do likewise That's why there's so many options!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:24 PM   #55356
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,283
Quote:
When I was a kid, I used to curse the phillips screws on my little jap smoker. I'd bad-mouth 'em all over town. Good thing I did, because someone introduced me to the impact driver. Seat the bit and tap it with a hammer,and voila! screw broken loose and head perfect. I was so tickled to have more funds for riding that I didn't have to set back on allen head replacements, a set of which wasn't exactly an inexpensive undertaking at the time.
My dad showed my an impact screwdriver when I was 10 and I thought, geez, that's dumb that you have to use a hammering motion to get a screw out/on. Bulk things too. I took my side cover screws down to the shop and replaced everyone I could with a conventional bolt. Then I could use sockets and didn't need to beat on my side cover to get the screws out. It's one of those things whose acceptance and use defies explanation. How could some engineers produce a produce a gear box strapped to a reciprocating, repackable bomb and then not figure out out that PHILLIPS SUCK ASS

Oh, the Dremel made minute work of that little bastard. And, at 10 I was right, Phillips do suck for bikes and cars. That's why nobody uses them.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #55357
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
I don't visit head explody because my head is already explody, but I went searching there to see what he said. So, I'm guessing that his attack on that person that I'm seeing caused him to be banned again??? Or was it from something more extreme that was removed? I guess we know he's banned again because his name doesn't show up in the members' list? Hate to see it; I think he was a helpful and entertaining guy from our interactions here.

Okay Brian, you screw the way you like and I'll do likewise That's why there's so many options!
It`s also why i don`t have kids

OK....nuff about sucky ass screws.....how about something new...like what kinda chain lube do you use..

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
Old 03-05-2013, 06:45 PM   #55358
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
My dad showed my an impact screwdriver when I was 10 and I thought, geez, that's dumb that you have to use a hammering motion to get a screw out/on. Bulk things too. I took my side cover screws down to the shop and replaced everyone I could with a conventional bolt. Then I could use sockets and didn't need to beat on my side cover to get the screws out. It's one of those things whose acceptance and use defies explanation. How could some engineers produce a produce a gear box strapped to a reciprocating, repackable bomb and then not figure out out that PHILLIPS SUCK ASS

Oh, the Dremel made minute work of that little bastard. And, at 10 I was right, Phillips do suck for bikes and cars. That's why nobody uses them.
Much to my delight, bikes have switched to other head styles for their screws. I'm sure glad my xrl has hex head bolts on the covers. But maybe what we're not taking into consideration is that there's a lot of other uses for screws besides holding covers on motorcycles. I don't buy phillips head screws for most of my construction work because I haven't tried the others and I'm ignorant. I use them because they work the best for me out of all the options available after having tried them all. Feel free to believe or disbelieve, but that's the facts and where I stand. And I'm capable of backing it up with a demonstration.

I'm not a big fan of having so many different kinds of heads for screws. I'd like to see manufacturers settle on what works best for specific tasks and stick to them. In the kits of bits, there's a dizzying array of various bit styles, and of course a range of sizes for each style. That makes for a monster kit! Why do I need a torx with a hole in the middle to match a protruding cylinder on the screw head? Forget "tamper-proof", we all have the bits now. Pentagon heads - what's the point? How about a phillps style that uses three blades instead of four? Is a four-blade phillips not bad enough?
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 03-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #55359
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
.....how about something new...like what kinda chain lube do you use.. B
Yeah, like you want me to divulge my secrets so you can rag on me about that. Sorry, not gonna happen!

But I'll tell ya what - you come here for a visit and you can watch how I lube my chain before we hit the mountains. As long as you promise not to put it on the forum, that is...
Old 03-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #55360
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Yeah, like you want me to divulge my secrets so you can rag on me about that. Sorry, not gonna happen!

But I'll tell ya what - you come here for a visit and you can watch how I lube my chain before we hit the mountains. As long as you promise not to put it on the forum, that is...
we be drinkin.you be screwin up using the wrong lube....i be puttin you on youtube wearing your wifes dress......good times..

B
Old 03-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #55361
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,939
Quote:
I don't visit head explody

I don't either. Just saw his user name at the top of the list and thought that was rather odd, seeing how he just got a reprieve from the governor. Where he made his mistake was continuing to badger the inmate and her husband. If someone gets under your skin that much, use the damn ignore feature. The only thing he proved to the other two inmates was how dumb he is.

It's kinda like sticking your finger over a flame and burning it...then going right back and doing it again. Not too bright!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #55362
larryk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Tank decals for IMS 4.0 gallon

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryk View Post
Hey Sierra Thumper, would love to see pics of the IMS decals.
Did you purchase direct? Didn't see them on IMS website . Thanks!
Reckon my timing was a bit off off for asking ST this.
Anybody got pics of IMS or a recommendation on other graphics?
larryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:06 PM   #55363
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
continuing to badger the inmate and her husband. If someone gets under your skin that much, use the damn ignore feature. The only thing he proved to the other two inmates was how dumb he is.
Not cool, thought he meant someone else.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #55364
marlinjames
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcole View Post
That's why I went back to the stock exhaust.

Glad it got there safe and you got it mounted up fine.
i was surprised how loud it was since people have said it's comparable to stock Might just need to be repacked or something. but i do like the sound, im going to add a power bomb to help/ quiet it a little.
I thought i txted you and told you it showed. Sorry if i didn't man. Thanks again!!
marlinjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #55365
3girlsdad
aka FiddyK

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryk View Post
Reckon my timing was a bit off off for asking ST this.
Anybody got pics of IMS or a recommendation on other graphics?
larryk - didn't see the original post, but assuming you are referencing the ims xr's only decals? if so, here they are on my recently sold () xrl. i had trimmed a little to fit the clarke tank.

2011 Beta 450 RR - plated (gone. had my sexy italian fling)
2008 Honda XR650L - (gone but not forgotten)
3girlsdad is offline   Reply With Quote