Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #55636
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
The dust boots make it tough. But an EZ way to measure without the boots. Put a tie wrap loosly around the tube. Brfore you get on the bike slide it down to the top of the seal ( boots off ), sit on the bike. When you get off measure between tie wrap and seal.

Just do it by feel.

I meant because all forks (except maybe $50K race Showas) have WAY more stiction than shocks.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:15 PM   #55637
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
Not when i started drinkin LAST NIGHT and had friday off......my weekend started yesterday at 5pm... and runs out when i`m out of beer about monday night or so.. B

In other words, you were too drunk or too hungover... maybe both....
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #55638
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,814
Hungover is after he stops drinking.

You run out of beer yet Brian?

I doubt it.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:30 PM   #55639
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Well... as long as you think so, then that's all that matters to you.
hey bud, I know your smart as hell, Ive done my homework and dont mind paying half what maxima fork oil costs

its called chevron dexron 6

If you feel better paying up at the dealer than all the power to you

sometimes doing your homework pays off...

what next I only buy honda oil?

peace bud

ps. just like oil there are good and bad ones out there...Im not saying go buy ace hardaware atf, buy hey, different strokes for folks right

btw

straight out of honda manual(especially the 88 one flying around on the nets) ATF is specified, especially for damper forks

but then again you knew that! jajajajajajjaja

sorry couldnt resist

christian
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #55640
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
...sometimes doing your homework pays off... ...straight out of honda manual(especially the 88 one flying around on the nets) ATF is specified, especially for damper forks
but then again you knew that! jajajajajajjaja
sorry couldnt resist
christian
Carajo! Thanks for making me do some research.
Fritzie might recognize the viscosity chart there.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 03-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #55641
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit54016 View Post
Fritz,

If you look at that pic, you will see both of the clickers are the same and both go into the same part of the fork. They are both compression adjustments.

I don't think it would be possible to have compression adjusted on one leg differently than the other, and then have the two fork legs adjusted differently for rebound as well. That would be like trying to walk with a running shoe on one foot and a work boot on the other.
Except that the Showa Seperate Function Fork does just that. Or may it separates spring on one side or damping on the other. Actually, I think that is it.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:46 PM   #55642
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwombat View Post
Those are CRF forks (well not CRF230, but CRF450 at least). The oil in the second chamber is pressurized by a spring and that helps to reduce cavitation.
The first twin chamber forks on a motorcycle were on the '99 RM250. 49mm beasts too. When I first took them apart I was baffled. Now, we are at no springs. Ryan Dungey has been riding a springless shock, well until he had a failure anyway.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #55643
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
I have a OE link on the work bench if you need it.
How much do you need to have for that little beauty?

PM with details?
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over

Mossy-Back screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 08:09 PM
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:53 PM   #55644
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

I run a special high tech viscosity adjusting oil. It thickens inversely proportionally to the velocity of the stoke of the damper rod, and proportionally to the damper position. It is only available from a small outfit that does work for our national labs. $60 a quart but worth every penny. What type do you guys run?
Old 03-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #55645
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 23,923
I've decided it really didnt matter until I started out riding the 16 year old girls who pass me on 125's
kenny61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #55646
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Hungover is after he stops drinking.

You run out of beer yet Brian?

I doubt it.
Nope.not gonna happen,should be good for at least 2 days......then i have whiskey...

Speeking of whiskey..i install remote car starters for fun in the winter,,,for a quart of whiskey.......for people i know...i installed 10 this year..so i`m good in that department,wife gets pissy when i keep stuffing them in the freezer.......keeps complaining there`s no room for food and takes them out...

I told her i really don`t know why i stick quarts in the freezer,,just always did

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer

techforlife screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 08:17 PM
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #55647
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
I've decided it really didnt matter until I started out riding the 16 year old girls who pass me on 125's
HAHA, that's the truth... I definitely need more dirt experience on this bigger bike. I only rode a 185 2-stroke and 250's before.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #55648
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,187
Quote:
I've started riding the 16 year old girls... who pass me on 125's
16 can get ya 20 i hear......

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #55649
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
I run a special high tech viscosity adjusting oil. It thickens inversely proportionally to the velocity of the stoke of the damper rod, and proportionally to the damper position. ...

I can see it now... optical encoders pick up the position of the damper rod, the computer makes the calculations and sends a control signal to the voltage-sensitive oil. I wonder what the viscosity / applied voltage chart looks like.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #55650
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 23,923
I have an 02 KTM 200EXC I started racing NETRA enduros and harescrambles last year. After a 20 year hiatus from bike riding. I thought I was in decent shape until about 5 minutes into my first race. At one point I got offthe buke pulled my helmet and laid down to die, I only wound up catching my breath and abusing my self some more but then thats what us Jarheads do isnt it?

I really look forward to the day that a few extra HP, a different fork oil, 2mm more airspace or 2 clicks on the compression will give me the extra edge to beat the the girl in front of me...

kenny61 is online now   Reply With Quote