Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
Thanks!
Not powder coat, but a PTFE coating.
I think it looks very OEM ish ish ish
Got it and many other parts coated here:
http://www.polydyn.com/industrial_coatings.htm

Here's another phot of the left side case.
Is the dead squirrel your attempt at a new type of chain roller?

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #55727
pngaudioguy
Just...one...more...

Oddometer: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250 View Post
I think that was his way of checking who actually looked at the picture. I didn't even notice until you pointed it out!

Edit: I have had several Rochefort 8's, a 10, a Delirium Tremens, and a few fingers of Caol Ila this evening...
pngaudioguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #55728
Olderslowerguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Helmets

With all the talk here about helmets recently, and my needing to upgrade my DS helmet, I started looking around yesterday and found something that looked interesting at Cycle Gear. Went to look at my local store yesterday and of course they didn't have my size, but did in Tampa. So, this afternoon, I rode over there to check it out. The helmet is their brand (Bilt [as built in China]), but tried it on anyway. Not really fond of buying outside the USA, but that is almost impossible today...The model of this helmet is ADVH1 and is called the "Explorer"...comes in a couple of colors, but I settled on matt black. Fit runs a little small, so ended up getting one size larger than I normally wear. This helmet had a retail price of 199.99, but is on sale the month of March for 99.99. The real selling point for me was that I was able to get my glasses on without any problems, and it has a flip down darkened half shield behind the full faced shield. Rode home with it, and for a Chinese helmet, I was pretty impressed. Below are some pictures.

This shows the flip down darkened shield

This picture shows the slide which is used to lower the darker shield. To raise the shield, you only have to push the button.

And it has plenty of vents.

As I said, so far I'm pretty pleased with it, especially for the price.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #55729
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
...Here is a pic of the XRL cables on the XRR carb. You can see that the inner cables are to short.

Very nice, Steve! What are the chances of flipping that bracket to put the cable ends closer? Would it get in the way of the idle adjustment? Then would a little fabbing to be able to use the stock cables be worth it?
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #55730
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,570
Looks damn good for the money, OSG! I think you lucked out there...
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #55731
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,104
I've been spending money at McMaster over the last few weeks. I have bags of fasteners. If anyone is missing any, or wanting to change stuff around, check here. I'm certain I won't use a 100 M6x18 socket cap screws, but I'll sure as hell try.

I'll get a parts list up for anyone that needs stuff or PM me.

I found the spacer/washer for the taillight screws there, a dollar more than OEM but I don't have any dealers for an hour of me, and I was placing an order anyway....
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #55732
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Ok, just back from a lap around town. The throttle seems more responsive. Starts real easy. I took it on the freeway for a bit, up grade into the wind. Grabbed full throttle, wfo and it bucked a bit. Feels like it's a bit fat on the main so I'll have to find a smaller jet. I did notice that the engine idle went up some as more heat built up in the engine. Gonna have to play with the mixture screw. No popping or farting on deceleration. Perhaps a sign it's to rich.

To be continued.
I think if you get no farting on decel you're too rich. My Dave's modded stock L farted on decel and I think it was jetted really well. Hell, all the race bikes/cars do it. Not sure what that decel farting is all about, but it doens't bother me. The VERY lean stock set-up did it too.

Now, I'm heading out to the shop to practice my Phillips screwing technique.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:57 PM   #55733
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olderslowerguy View Post
With all the talk here about helmets recently, and my needing to upgrade my DS helmet, I started looking around yesterday and found something that looked interesting at Cycle Gear. Went to look at my local store yesterday and of course they didn't have my size, but did in Tampa. So, this afternoon, I rode over there to check it out. The helmet is their brand (Bilt [as built in China]), but tried it on anyway. Not really fond of buying outside the USA, but that is almost impossible today...The model of this helmet is ADVH1 and is called the "Explorer"...comes in a couple of colors, but I settled on matt black. Fit runs a little small, so ended up getting one size larger than I normally wear. This helmet had a retail price of 199.99, but is on sale the month of March for 99.99. The real selling point for me was that I was able to get my glasses on without any problems, and it has a flip down darkened half shield behind the full faced shield. Rode home with it, and for a Chinese helmet, I was pretty impressed. Below are some pictures.

This shows the flip down darkened shield

This picture shows the slide which is used to lower the darker shield. To raise the shield, you only have to push the button.

And it has plenty of vents.

As I said, so far I'm pretty pleased with it, especially for the price.
How is the visor at speed?
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:09 PM   #55734
Olderslowerguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
How is the visor at speed?
No vibration at all...of course I have that high fairing that funnels most of the air over my head, but think it's well enough built that it would not be a problem.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:38 PM   #55735
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250 View Post
It obvious the squirrel is posing since he is wedged in against the chain direction

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #55736
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,662
OnandOff,

No the bracket will not flip around as the cables will no longer be in alignment.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #55737
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
It obvious the squirrel is posing since he is wedged in against the chain direction
That fell out of Fritz`s lunch box......goes great with fried taters..

B
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #55738
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,470

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #55739
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
I think if you get no farting on decel you're too rich. My Dave's modded stock L farted on decel and I think it was jetted really well. Hell, all the race bikes/cars do it. Not sure what that decel farting is all about, but it doens't bother me. The VERY lean stock set-up did it too.

Now, I'm heading out to the shop to practice my Phillips screwing technique.
Farting = backfire?
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #55740
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
No quarrels with that estimation! I agree with silicone but drilling a hole for a pop rivet might introduce a weakness in the cover. What's with wiring the retainer bolts - planning to fly that thing?

Since the case had seen one fall, has a hole in it , and the saver is a "patch", I really didn't care. If your theroy is correct, the hole for the timming marks, crank bolt, and the holes that hold the case in place are a problem. I think drilled holes if spread out pose no problem. What do ya'll think?

Safety wire has a very important role to play in the succesfull operation of a modern motorcycle and that is " IT LOOKS BAD ASS". Don't ya think?

More squirel photos. I went out for a morning ride and hit a swarm of the grey bastards:

The photos above are, what i call a two beer project.
The squirel was murdered by my F150 pick up. Apparently the varmit was in the engine bay during start up. I think he took a fan blade upside the head. He fell out this morning. The rest can be blamed on the beer.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote