Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #55756
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
An immature person mocks or ridicules a person who shares his experience, while a mature person is grateful and appreciative.
And if anyone knows this it is you. If you wanted to share that the East has the same issues as the West you didn't need to start off with the accusations that I didn't know wtf I was talking about. You may want to take your own advise.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #55757
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhitmore44 View Post
And if anyone knows this it is you. If you wanted to share that the East has the same issues as the West you didn't need to start off with the accusations that I didn't know wtf I was talking about. You may want to take your own advise.
I do make an honest effort to say only what I know, so yes, to the best of my knowledge and belief.
And if asking you why you said something is the same as accusing you of not knowing what you're talking about, then yes, I'm guilty as charged.

I don't have any experience with the "issues" out West, or anywhere else, really, but here, which is why I posted the link for your edification. You make it sound as if it is merely encouraged, not required, to stay on designated roadways out your way. My point was simply that may be the case there, but not here.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:19 PM   #55758
stiggs13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Quick run up Little Tujunga nice day for it

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled
stiggs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #55759
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
I do make an honest effort to say only what I know, so yes, to the best of my knowledge and belief.
And if asking you why you said something is the same as accusing you of not knowing what you're talking about, then yes, I'm guilty as charged.

I don't have any experience with the "issues" out West, or anywhere else, really, but here, which is why I posted the link for your edification. You make it sound as if it is merely encouraged, not required, to stay on designated roadways out your way. My point was simply that may be the case there, but not here.
You didn't ask me anything. If it's against the law your not "supposed" to do it. Your point was to try and show how much more you know than anyone else.

I typed up an explanation about what I said, but decided I didn't need to explain anything to you.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #55760
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,743
So... this is ADVag?
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #55761
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Ok, just back from a lap around town. The throttle seems more responsive. Starts real easy. I took it on the freeway for a bit, up grade into the wind. Grabbed full throttle, wfo and it bucked a bit. Feels like it's a bit fat on the main so I'll have to find a smaller jet. I did notice that the engine idle went up some as more heat built up in the engine. Gonna have to play with the mixture screw. No popping or farting on deceleration. Perhaps a sign it's to rich.

To be continued.
Seems like a good upgrade without going to the full pumper, with easier install. Did it require any spacers? How much does a XRR carb go for now-a-days?
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #55762
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olderslowerguy View Post
No vibration at all...of course I have that high fairing that funnels most of the air over my head, but think it's well enough built that it would not be a problem.
Looks like a nice helmet. I just ordered myself a G-max helmet. Tried on my friend's and it fit great. I should have it on Monday, along with that fairing! Can't wait!

Quote:
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Old 03-09-2013, 09:23 PM   #55763
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhitmore44 View Post
When you are in national forest you are supposed to stay on the designated trails. Making your own trails can cause erosion, and there are plenty of trails to ride on. The whole "Stay the Trail" project and Tread Lightly is based on informing folks they need to stay on the designated trails rather than destroying hillsides, tearing up meadows and marshes, and creating bypasses. Sounds like in the east you don't have the erosion problem like in the west. A trail or a trench dug up the side of a mountain can turn into a gully pretty easily. The grass i those mountains is fairly sparse and heavy but short rains wash out the soil easily. Course private ground, if you have permission to ride it, you can do what ever you want. Course if you tear up a hillside and mess up a creek you could get in big trouble for affecting someone else water rights.
Yep. I'm studying Recreation Resource Management at Oregon State University. Crazy what a couple hikers or a bicycle can do off trail, or even on trail, let alone horses and motorcycles...
Quote:
Old 03-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #55764
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Pretty sure I nailed it with my Turndown version 2.0

Looks good, sounds good. Not overly loud, but still has a nice BRAAAAAAP to it when you get on it.

1" i.d. washer with a 1-1/4" pipe for the turndown. One a late design XR600R muffler which has a 2" outlet with the insert removed.

Quote:
Old 03-09-2013, 10:55 PM   #55765
marlinjames
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olderslowerguy View Post
With all the talk here about helmets recently, and my needing to upgrade my DS helmet, I started looking around yesterday and found something that looked interesting at Cycle Gear. Went to look at my local store yesterday and of course they didn't have my size, but did in Tampa. So, this afternoon, I rode over there to check it out. The helmet is their brand (Bilt [as built in China]), but tried it on anyway. Not really fond of buying outside the USA, but that is almost impossible today...The model of this helmet is ADVH1 and is called the "Explorer"...comes in a couple of colors, but I settled on matt black. Fit runs a little small, so ended up getting one size larger than I normally wear. This helmet had a retail price of 199.99, but is on sale the month of March for 99.99. The real selling point for me was that I was able to get my glasses on without any problems, and it has a flip down darkened half shield behind the full faced shield. Rode home with it, and for a Chinese helmet, I was pretty impressed. Below are some pictures.

This shows the flip down darkened shield

This picture shows the slide which is used to lower the darker shield. To raise the shield, you only have to push the button.

And it has plenty of vents.

As I said, so far I'm pretty pleased with it, especially for the price.
I have the same helmet i picked up 2 weeks ago. I like it so far. I got mine in the pearl white
marlinjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:59 PM   #55766
Hazman27
The Haz

Oddometer: 634
xr scuba gear?

Anyone know if a snorkel on my carb and a smaller snorkel on the air breather could help or hurt? We've seen kits on Jeep Wranglers although seemingly cosmetic. Just wondering if I run PVC tube upward, maybe rifled, like the Airaid system for pick-up trucks. I'm running the K and N cone filter and a piece of nos tubing without filter element on the breather. I have been crossing creeks that some might say are small rivers. Water depth has been at top of seat. bike almost died mid-stream!
Hazman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:02 PM   #55767
marlinjames
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
How is the visor at speed?
My trip last weekend with the helmet went good. at 70mph with no windscreen i had no whistles or shakes, and the visor stayed down and sealed. it was pretty cold out and the shield kept fogging. and with the shield all the way down it wouldnt go away. crack the shield a little and it was evaporate pretty quickly, which leads me to believe that the shield seals pretty well

One thing i didnt like was the fogging, so i tried to put a pair of goggles on instead of using the shield. the goggles fit but i could close the shield with them on. Where my buddies helmet you could. not a big deal tho
marlinjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:18 PM   #55768
Sub Zero
Ice Breather!

Oddometer: 786
we interrupt this thread to bring you

Sub Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:05 AM   #55769
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub Zero View Post
we interrupt this thread to bring you

That's a cute pair of boobies!

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:52 AM   #55770
pngaudioguy
Just...one...more...

Oddometer: 468
mendoteach: I'm taking full advantage of the beer situation for the duration of my stay here!

JWhitmore & OnOff: When I lived in New England finding legal places to ride off-road was a serious challenge. There were only 6 state parks in MA with legal trails - if you paid annually for the sticker. Most of those trails were an hour to two hours on the highway from where I lived. Initially there was a reciprocity agreement with NH to ride their trails, but starting in 2011 you had to buy their annual OHV sticker as well. We all joked that our bikes were starting to look like recreation boats with the park stickers! RI you could ride just about anywhere as long as you stayed on the trails. I believe CT had several parks that were legal but it was too far on the slab to be of any interest on my XRL.

It is highly ill-advised to not follow the suggested rules, at least in MA, since the fines were quite steep, and included your bike taking a ride without you that requires even more cash to get back. I followed the rules in state parks.

High-tension lines were a gray area. Technically they are private property (of whoever owns the land, not always the utility company) so in theory you could figure out who owns it and contact them for permission. They're a fun place to tool around on the access roads. I made a point to keep the RPM's low, not tear up the place, and just have fun on very rough dirt roads. Single pass through a section and keep going. Never had an problems. YMMV, etc.

I guess my general observation is that it isn't necessarily true that it's easier to find legal riding spots on the East coast.
pngaudioguy is offline   Reply With Quote