User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2013, 04:33 AM   #55771
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,018
Staying On The Trail

I belong to an off road motorcycle club over in west Marin County, The Marin County Motorcycle Association. The club leases 1200 acres of the owners property. There is an extensive network of trails. Nice big club house, the whole bit. When a trail has been used up it is taken out and rehabed and a trail put in it's place. One of the club rules is that you STAY ON THE TRAIL. No making your own trails. If people are found to behaving badly we have our own BAN HAMMER. At $500.00 a year dues a six month suspension really hurts. This years makes it thirty years as a member for me. My son and younger daughter are also members.

http://www.mcmadirt.com/

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:29 AM   #55772
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,377
Cool, always wondered the significance of your user name.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:33 AM   #55773
mrfixit54016
Wisconsin Dual Sporter

Oddometer: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinjames View Post
My trip last weekend with the helmet went good. at 70mph with no windscreen i had no whistles or shakes, and the visor stayed down and sealed. it was pretty cold out and the shield kept fogging. and with the shield all the way down it wouldnt go away. crack the shield a little and it was evaporate pretty quickly, which leads me to believe that the shield seals pretty well

One thing i didnt like was the fogging, so i tried to put a pair of goggles on instead of using the shield. the goggles fit but i could close the shield with them on. Where my buddies helmet you could. not a big deal tho
When we have cold winter weather here, the fogged up face shields are an issue on the bikes. On my last snowmobile trip we had a new rider that didn't have a proper helmet with a dual-pane shield. It was a dual-sport helmet similar to the bilt or Gmax shown earlier.

I had a packet of these Clarity Defog It wipes and tried it on his shield. It worked terrific and he was able to keep riding with us for the whole day.

Give them a try. I know Cycleworld, Rider, or one of the big moto magazines just did a test of the "anti-fog" products and they found this Clarity brand product to be the best.

http://www.nanofilmproducts.com/products/clarity-defog-it-sport.htm
1983 XL100S
1985 ATC250ES
mrfixit54016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:39 AM   #55774
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Pretty sure I nailed it with my Turndown version 2.0

Looks good, sounds good. Not overly loud, but still has a nice BRAAAAAAP to it when you get on it.

1" i.d. washer with a 1-1/4" pipe for the turndown. One a late design XR600R muffler which has a 2" outlet with the insert removed.
Looks good. Turn down tips used to be common on bikes in the late 80's-90's but manufacturers got away from them. I always agreed they helped sound levels. I put the stock exhaust back on my bike yesterday and put the Supertrapp on the bench for now. Sound is a big issue and we have lost plenty of trails due to noise complaints.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:25 AM   #55775
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,302
It's a Bling Thing

Just got done bolting all the farkles from my previous XR onto my fresh one. Personally I like the benefits of the "natural" tank, but I do have a red one too.

Offhand, list includes:

ManRack & Pelican Case
CigarStruts (Subframe Supports)
FMF PowerBomb & PowerCore 4
Skid Plate
Maier Windscreen
Frame Guards
Front Fork/Rear Peg Tiedown points
GPS/iPhone 5 Mount

Already Had
IMS Pegs
Renthal Bars
Filter

Still Needed
Oil Cooler
Electrical Power/Outlet

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:02 AM   #55776
Gone14s
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Tank Decals

Quite a few pages back folks where asking about the Al Baker XR's only Tank decals. I was reading that they stopped making them and where no longer on there web site. I called them and ask and they still are making these Tank decals. It takes a little looks on there site but they are there.
The one on my tank in has been on there for over a year now and still going strong. Just a FYI folks.

Kurt

http://s1085.photobucket.com/albums/...900%20elefant/
Gone14s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:04 AM   #55777
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone14s View Post
Quite a few pages back folks where asking about the Al Baker XR's only Tank decals. I was reading that they stopped making them and where no longer on there web site. I called them and ask and they still are making these Tank decals. It takes a little looks on there site but they are there.
The one on my tank in has been on there for over a year now and still going strong. Just a FYI folks.

Kurt

I like that red, white, and blue theme
Old 03-10-2013, 08:47 AM   #55778
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
Just got done bolting all the farkles from my previous XR onto my fresh one. Personally I like the benefits of the "natural" tank, but I do have a red one too.

Offhand, list includes:

ManRack & Pelican Case
Skid Plate
Maier Windscreen
Frame Guards
GPS/iPhone 5 Mount

Already Had
IMS Pegs
Renthal Bars
Filter

Still Needed
Oil Cooler
Electrical Power/Outlet

RZ Rob
Remote start?
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:03 AM   #55779
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazman27 View Post
Anyone know if a snorkel on my carb and a smaller snorkel on the air breather could help or hurt? We've seen kits on Jeep Wranglers although seemingly cosmetic. Just wondering if I run PVC tube upward, maybe rifled, like the Airaid system for pick-up trucks. I'm running the K and N cone filter and a piece of nos tubing without filter element on the breather. I have been crossing creeks that some might say are small rivers. Water depth has been at top of seat. bike almost died mid-stream!
Should work ok as long as the intake tube is wide enough. I had a YZ250 I tried this with 30 something years ago. Put a glob of dielectric grease in your spark plug cap too. I could go up to the gas tank in water.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:13 AM   #55780
ADV BUM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
I belong to an off road motorcycle club over in west Marin County, The Marin County Motorcycle Association. The club leases 1200 acres of the owners property. There is an extensive network of trails. Nice big club house, the whole bit. When a trail has been used up it is taken out and rehabed and a trail put in it's place. One of the club rules is that you STAY ON THE TRAIL. No making your own trails. If people are found to behaving badly we have our own BAN HAMMER. At $500.00 a year dues a six month suspension really hurts. This years makes it thirty years as a member for me. My son and younger daughter are also members.

http://www.mcmadirt.com/
Are you allowed to take guests?
ADV BUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:17 AM   #55781
Deliverator
not a replicant

Oddometer: 79
Clarke 4.7 tank reserve amount?

Gentlemen:

I am planning on riding some on-road distance with a buddy (not on an XRL) this summer who doesn't start seriously looking for gas until he hits 200 miles.

I have a Clarke 4.7 tank on my XRL with the stock fuel valve. It is desmogged with FMF header and Q4. Currently has a 14T counter sprocket (which I plan to switch to 15T for the trip) with 45T rear. Conti Twin-duros front and rear (I'd welcome advice on an 70-30 tire as well).

Currently I have to switch to reserve at about 145-150 miles. I had heard that you could get 200 miles out of this tank. Does anyone have experience with how many more miles I can reliably count on once I switch to reserve?

I know that you need to slosh the fuel over to the left side lobe, sounds like a bad idea while riding on road at speed. Am I wrong?

Thanks
Old 03-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #55782
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
I'm not sure where you are getting that impression about the East.
Reedin comprension scilz iz a bitch ain't it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr
So you guys out west. You post all of these great pix. Do you have to stay on the dirt roads or can you go up the side of a mountain if you want to ? It sounds like out there you cant ride somewhere unless someone says you can. Most places Ive ridden in the east you can unless someone says you cant.
You didn't see(or read) the quote in his post? The answer was right there in black and white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
An immature person mocks or ridicules a person who shares his experience, while a mature person is grateful and appreciative.
I agree! So my question is, why do you still continue to do so?
It was a pretty straight forward discussion. I don't see how you got so easily confused with it.

Oh, and in regards to trails in the East, There are designated trails to stay. No riding out thru the middle of the forest...legally. That still doesn't keep some assholes from doing it though...then they bitch and moan when the area is shut down.

bwalsh screwed with this post 03-10-2013 at 09:33 AM
bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:37 AM   #55783
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
Yes. Fritz, how come everybody gives you so much shit?
Ok, lets see the only way to have a back fire is to have fuel burning in the exhaust. That would mean it did not burn in the combustion process. Sooooooo you must be rich.

It all in fun. Someone has to take the shit. It's tough staying on top of the shit taken list around here though. It's an on and off thing I guess.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7

fritzcoinc screwed with this post 03-10-2013 at 09:57 AM
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #55784
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post

Offhand, list includes:

ManRack & Pelican Case
Skid Plate
Maier Windscreen
Frame Guards
GPS/iPhone 5 Mount

Already Had
IMS Pegs
Renthal Bars
Filter

Still Needed
Oil Cooler
Electrical Power/Outlet

RZ Rob
Is the muffler or is it the top box that is remotely controlled?
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #55785
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliverator View Post
Gentlemen:

I am planning on riding some on-road distance with a buddy (not on an XRL) this summer who doesn't start seriously looking for gas until he hits 200 miles.

I have a Clarke 4.7 tank on my XRL with the stock fuel valve. It is desmogged with FMF header and Q4. Currently has a 14T counter sprocket (which I plan to switch to 15T for the trip) with 45T rear. Conti Twin-duros front and rear (I'd welcome advice on an 70-30 tire as well).

Currently I have to switch to reserve at about 145-150 miles. I had heard that you could get 200 miles out of this tank. Does anyone have experience with how many more miles I can reliably count on once I switch to reserve?

I know that you need to slosh the fuel over to the left side lobe, sounds like a bad idea while riding on road at speed. Am I wrong?

Thanks
I have a Clarke 4.7 on my bike and there is no way I can get two hundred miles on a tank full unless I was able to coast the last fifty miles...

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote