ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #55786
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer
 
mcma111's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco,Ca.
Oddometer: 10,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV BUM View Post
Are you allowed to take guests?

Sure we can have guests. Only you can't RIDE the trails.

There is a waiting list to get in that is over three hundred folks long. It takes at least five years to get in now-a days.
__________________
Steve in SF

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #55787
ADV BUM
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Oddometer: 124
I notice many of you are using universal type windshields. My other bike is a DR350. The previous owner put on different lights and removed the housing that was there. When I put handlebar risers on the wires were really exposed. I figured the best thing to do was fashion some type of windshield. I purchased a national cycle and cut it down.



I am leery about a crash and this thing being toast. I tried to reinforce the edges and mount points of the shield with some bedliner material.

How do these things really hold up in a crash?
ADV BUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:10 AM   #55788
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8
 
fritzcoinc's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Cypress, Tx
Oddometer: 6,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV BUM View Post
I notice many of you are using universal type windshields. My other bike is a DR350. The previous owner put on different lights and removed the housing that was there. When I put handlebar risers on the wires were really exposed. I figured the best thing to do was fashion some type of windshield. I purchased a national cycle and cut it down.



I am leery about a crash and this thing being toast. I tried to reinforce the edges and mount points of the shield with some bedliner material.

How do these things really hold up in a crash?
Poorly.
__________________
Regards
Fritzcoinc
96 XR650L, 96 Guzzi Sport, 07 BMW K1200GT,
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #55789
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer
 
RZRob's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Anaheim Hills, CA
Oddometer: 1,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
Is the muffler or is it the top box that is remotely controlled?
That's for the remote starter. ThumpnRed had the right idea.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #55790
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer
 
Walterxr650l's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Donald, Oregon
Oddometer: 1,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliverator View Post
Gentlemen:

I am planning on riding some on-road distance with a buddy (not on an XRL) this summer who doesn't start seriously looking for gas until he hits 200 miles.

I have a Clarke 4.7 tank on my XRL with the stock fuel valve. It is desmogged with FMF header and Q4. Currently has a 14T counter sprocket (which I plan to switch to 15T for the trip) with 45T rear. Conti Twin-duros front and rear (I'd welcome advice on an 70-30 tire as well).

Currently I have to switch to reserve at about 145-150 miles. I had heard that you could get 200 miles out of this tank. Does anyone have experience with how many more miles I can reliably count on once I switch to reserve?

I know that you need to slosh the fuel over to the left side lobe, sounds like a bad idea while riding on road at speed. Am I wrong?

Thanks
You should be able to figure out how far you can go pretty easy. When you hit reserve at 150 miles, how much gas does it take to fill your tank. If say it takes 3.5 gallons, then 150 3.5 = 42.85 MPG. Now 42.85 X 4.7 = 201 miles If you could get every drop of fuel out of the right tank lobe. You probably can't.

No you probably don't want to be trying to slosh fuel over at hwy speeds. To get the fuel over you probably will have to stop, lay the bike completely down on it's left side, and then pick it back up. Personally When I hit reserve, I would stop at the next fuel supply. If the buddy wouldn't stop, oh well guess I really didn't want to ride with you anyway. Or you could buy a bigger tank, or some sort of spare fuel cans or bottles.

Walter
__________________
"How much a dunce
That has been set to roam
Excels a dunce
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:06 AM   #55791
joexr
Banned
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: S.E.
Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
That's for the remote starter. ThumpnRed had the right idea.

RZ Rob
I think its a bit overkill , but they do sell those for bikes.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:36 AM   #55792
mhking
Adventurer
 
mhking's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Havelock NC
Oddometer: 46
parts

Im gettin rid of my stock exahust, tank, foot pegs, 46T sprocket (aluminum), hand gards, tail light, smog kit, rear tool pouch, airfilter (new), and right mirror. I thought I would give you guys first shot at em before i put them up on e-bay. PM me with offers I dont want much for any of it.
__________________
09 XR650L
mhking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #55793
techforlife
CDI REPAIR
 
techforlife's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Moncton,New Brunswick
Oddometer: 4,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
I think its a bit overkill , but they do sell those for bikes.
Thay sell alot of crap that has no business being on a bike..sucker born every minute.

B
__________________
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #55794
nic579
x
 
nic579's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: NY State Of Surcharge
Oddometer: 357
A little comparison of the old Honda enduro and the new one. The XRL is mostly back together but I still need to fabricate a few bits for the steering lock + stops. I clearly need a lowering link and the 17" rims as this beast is WAY! too tall for my short stature. Can anyone give me the center to center distance on their lowering link? Got my first ride on the XRL and man its nice to have something with some grunt too it.



nic579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #55795
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8
 
fritzcoinc's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Cypress, Tx
Oddometer: 6,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l View Post
You should be able to figure out how far you can go pretty easy. When you hit reserve at 150 miles, how much gas does it take to fill your tank. If say it takes 3.5 gallons, then 150 3.5 = 42.85 MPG. Now 42.85 X 4.7 = 201 miles If you could get every drop of fuel out of the right tank lobe. You probably can't.

No you probably don't want to be trying to slosh fuel over at hwy speeds. To get the fuel over you probably will have to stop, lay the bike completely down on it's left side, and then pick it back up. Personally When I hit reserve, I would stop at the next fuel supply. If the buddy wouldn't stop, oh well guess I really didn't want to ride with you anyway. Or you could buy a bigger tank, or some sort of spare fuel cans or bottles.

Walter
A couple of these may get you far enough. Get them at REI and I have seen them at Acadamy. They hold a quart. I have been keeping fuel in one and carrying it on my bike for over a year now and no leaks yet.

Whats the deal though, you said this is your buddy you are riding with? He is just going to keep going and leave you behind? Whats the big whoop in him stopping at 150 miles to get gas instead of 200?

__________________
Regards
Fritzcoinc
96 XR650L, 96 Guzzi Sport, 07 BMW K1200GT,
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #55796
ADV BUM
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
A couple of these may get you far enough. Get them at REI and I have seen them at Acadamy. They hold a quart. I have been keeping fuel in one and carrying it on my bike for over a year now and no leaks yet.

Those bottles come in much bigger sizes than that. Here is two different sizes.



I always carry at least one. I use a insulated wine bottle carrier to help protect it. It is the green cyclinder on the rack.

ADV BUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #55797
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer
 
mcma111's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco,Ca.
Oddometer: 10,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic579 View Post
A little comparison of the old Honda enduro and the new one. The XRL is mostly back together but I still need to fabricate a few bits for the steering lock + stops. I clearly need a lowering link and the 17" rims as this beast is WAY! too tall for my short stature. Can anyone give me the center to center distance on their lowering link? Got my first ride on the XRL and man its nice to have something with some grunt too it.



I see the Boxer on duty.

If you put a lowering link on your bike along with the CRF forks it's gonna be like an old school chopper with the ass end down low and the long forks.
__________________
Steve in SF

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #55798
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8
 
fritzcoinc's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Cypress, Tx
Oddometer: 6,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV BUM View Post
Those bottles come in much bigger sizes than that. Here is two different sizes.



I always carry at least one. I use a insulated wine bottle carrier to help protect it. It is the green cyclinder on the rack.
OMG! A mauled and maimed dead blue fuzzy bear in the middle of the floor!!!
__________________
Regards
Fritzcoinc
96 XR650L, 96 Guzzi Sport, 07 BMW K1200GT,
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #55799
mhking
Adventurer
 
mhking's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Havelock NC
Oddometer: 46
Was wondering where you got that seat cover and how much? I got a really big ride comin up and im looking for some ta make the ride a little easyer on the rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV BUM View Post
Those bottles come in much bigger sizes than that. Here is two different sizes.



I always carry at least one. I use a insulated wine bottle carrier to help protect it. It is the green cyclinder on the rack.

__________________
09 XR650L
mhking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:32 PM   #55800
ADV BUM
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
OMG! A mauled and maimed dead blue fuzzy bear in the middle of the floor!!!
People seem to fixate on that. Cookie monster was mauled by the LOVE BEAR.


ADV BUM screwed with this post 03-10-2013 at 12:39 PM
ADV BUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014