Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #55951
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
That may vary by application. When I changed my stockers on my CRF they had more cracks than a Plumbers convention. Now, 3 years later, my Excels have taken more beatings than a red-headed stepchild but have yet to crack.

I seem to recall that the competition forced Excel to step-up and make their rims beefier.

RZ Rob

I was not comparing a CRF rim to the Excel. I was comparing a XR/XRL rim. The CRF rims are fragile in comparison. The CRF is a race bike.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:45 PM   #55952
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by super samurai View Post
Ok now i gotta eat crow! Posted before i got them all in!
They work great with just 2 leds. Get all 4 and no worky!
The electronic flasher you bought might still work. Remove the turn signal, indicator bulb and try all four LED bulbs. You can't use the indicator bulb with four LED bulbs, unless you solder two diodes into the wires leading to the indicator bulb.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:55 PM   #55953
marlinjames
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
forks

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
You drive a Denali lthat sucks down fuel like a drunk sailor drinks gin and three bucks is a problem?

Just let the forks drain over night, skip the flush.
LOL that's why i need to save all the money i can. 6 bucks for 2qts that will damn near get me an extra 16miles.

I ended up sucking it up and trying it. i got the forks draining over night. I dont mind flushing it if you all think its a good idea. im sick so im not going to be doing any riding for awhile so i can let them drain up side down for a couple days if needed to get the trani fluid out.
the spring kit came with a hallow tube made to be used as a spacer.I got the springs off procycle.us but the directions seem super complicated. they're just general directions for all bikes. hard to tell what pertains to me and what doesn't. the springs are made by racetech

Also i was looking at my fork brace. and it looks like ill have to get rid of my stock fork covers if i use my brace. is this true? if so what fork prtector would you guys suggest?

marlinjames screwed with this post 03-11-2013 at 10:16 PM
marlinjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:56 PM   #55954
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
What rate shock & fork springs are you running? Looks pretty stabel in the whoops.
I don't know. It's a race tech spring and 250x forks. I haven't f'd with the settings yet. I just ride.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #55955
ADV BUM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
[QUOTE=ADV BUM;20912386]

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwombat View Post
This is a question that depends on your riding conditions, much like tire selection. Each has its place.

The OEM boots will protect the fork tubes better from flying rocks and crashes. Notice how they have holes in the back (if they didn't they would pop when the forks compressed). Those holes will allow water with fine grit to enter.

This can be bad for the kind of dirt we have in Colorado. It will dry on the fork tube and get like concrete, then when you use more suspension travel than you had been, that dried stuff will wear the seals. Without water, it's very difficult to remove that kind of dirt from the bike.

The Sealsavers / Shock Sox type products give you less fork tube protection but they do prevent some of that grit from getting to the seals. I suppose they add to the fork damping / stiction somewhat also. They also retain moisture which I suppose helps to turn that concrete like stuff back into mud which is easier on the seals. Some dirt still gets to the seals. I clean out the seal savers / sox regularly, like after the end of a dirty ride (or before my next ride). I like the Shock Sox product because they are held on with velcro so they are easy to clean. I blow them out with compressed air until no more dust comes out, and also clean any really fine particles from the fork that have made it past the shock sox.

In many other parts of the country / world, I would run the stock fork boots.
I chose to go with the full seal savers. I felt it was better to just keep all the dirt from getting to my forks. I also felt that the mini or quarter savers would be grit grinders on the forks.
The velcro ones sound good for ease of cleaning.
I feel the non velcro will do better in protection and compression aspects, but harder to put on and clean.
ADV BUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:17 PM   #55956
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Unfortunately we cannot open the property to the public as we are limited by the County of Marin as to how many memberships we can issue. There is a creek that runs through the property that empties out to Tomales Bay which is a protected area also. There are a couple of state recreation areas for riding about an hour and a half away but if I want to go somewhere other than the club it would be Mendicino National Forest which is about a four hour drive. It's a haul but worth it.

And does he ever give me a call letting me know he's coming up so we can ride together?I've offered a place to stay with lot's of private riding (1,200 acres worth of California Coastal Mountain trails) 40 minutes from the start of the Mendocino National Forest. Some people...
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:23 PM   #55957
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by super samurai View Post
Ok so here is what does work! I used my new flasher and replaced the 2 rear bulbs with leds and that seems to work. So at least its half the wattage right!maby this will make up for my premature failure.
Not much sag here...Perhaps too much preload.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:24 PM   #55958
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,322
should I post the chart again?

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:10 AM   #55959
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinjames View Post
Also i was looking at my fork brace. and it looks like ill have to get rid of my stock fork covers if i use my brace. is this true? if so what fork prtector would you guys suggest?
You can also do what many have done and just push them up and re-attach them...

A big Thank You, to RZRob for the tip on the fuse box modification, (the fuse in it is just for the picture, going to pick up a different one before I run it).

I ran the power from my newly acquired power lead to my O2 sensor which was previously mis-supplied power wise to where I would loose power to my O2 sensor If I hit my high beams...so In a sense I also fixed my high beams today.

Now a big Thank You to ThumpnRed for the tip on the remote choke...now as per usual everything seems to fight me on projects so It doesn't sound like it went as smooth for me as it did for others,

I first had to run all the adjustment out of the cable via the mid cable adjustment to get some more slack so it would close all the way.
then It wouldn't open very far because it would bottom out on the spring:

I then dug around the house and found a spring that was shorter with the same dimensions as the original:

that helped but it still doesn't open as far as the stock choke,it bottoms out on the plastic:

This setup might work fine, I haven't been able to test it out yet, (the GF is sleeping), I also had to re-route the choke cable because it's a bit longer then the stock one.

this only gives you one click on the bars opposed to the stock two click adjustment.
If anyone has a spare stock XRL plunger they would be willing to part with I would like to modify it to let me open the choke all the way and maybe give me a two click adjustment, (I don't want to modify the one I have).
My motorcycle is 5000 times faster then a centipede!

KyoXR screwed with this post 03-12-2013 at 01:24 AM
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:00 AM   #55960
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinjames View Post
Will any trans oil work? Dexron is 8 bucks O'Reilly atf is 5
This is what I got

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Yup,,,,,,,,get er done

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:09 AM   #55961
Ray Paul
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
Not much sag here...Perhaps too much preload.
Im thinking what i been riding may need heavier springs and more preload !
Ray Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:13 AM   #55962
Ray Paul
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
should I post the chart again?
Hmmmmm......NO !!!:
Ray Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:44 AM   #55963
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyoXR View Post
You can also do what many have done and just push them up and re-attach them...

+1 and if you don't like the scrunched up look you can trim some of the boot off and re-attach.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:12 AM   #55964
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Oddometer: 4,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lane_N View Post
I made this baffle for mine from the stock end cap. I cut end cap off of the packed fiberglass stock insert with a hole saw and welded this piece of 1-1/4" perforated tubing on in it's place. It did make a difference I had to go up one main jet size and the bike had a bit more power. I have since replaced my muffler with an XR's Only slip on, and had to go up one more main jet when I did it with another marginal boost in power. The XR's Only pipe is a bit on the loud side when you get on it.
Just saw this lane, thanks
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:24 AM   #55965
Boojum
I Miss the PartyBoss

Oddometer: 5,934
Just picked up today the following,...........well it's being shipped out today

All from a CRF 450X: Front Forks freshly serviced (valved and sprung by Mojo Suspension in UK for Desert Racing) both triple clamps and stem, front wheel, rotor, axle, caliper and handle bar clamps. I look forward to getting things swapped out. Those forks are gonna look sooooo good on the XRL...

Boojum
Boojum is offline   Reply With Quote