User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 07:32 AM   #55966
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,014
Boo,

You might want to add some steering stops to the side of the frame. I welded some blocks and dry fit the forks and tank then ground the stop down to get the most turning radius I could. Hopefully you can see the stops in the pictures.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:55 AM   #55967
Boojum
I Miss the PartyBoss

Oddometer: 5,934
Thanks Steve, that's a great idea.......... I'm sure it will take me some time for fitting, and modification with this set-up. I'm going to try and get a couple of guys over to the Casa for a brain storming party and see what is needed. One guy is a welder/fabricator, and the other is just a jack of all trades...............

Boojum
Boojum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:09 AM   #55968
Redclayrider
Long time gone

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojum View Post
Just picked up today the following,...........well it's being shipped out today

All from a CRF 450X: Front Forks freshly serviced (valved and sprung by Mojo Suspension in UK for Desert Racing) both triple clamps and stem, front wheel, rotor, axle, caliper and handle bar clamps. I look forward to getting things swapped out. Those forks are gonna look sooooo good on the XRL...

Boojum
I got the same set-up just have not installed it yet. If ya can post up a how to on it. The more information out there makes it easier for me to do it.

My mechanical skills are just a half a step above lefty loosey righty tighty.
Redclayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:17 AM   #55969
nic579
x

Oddometer: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redclayrider View Post
I got the same set-up just have not installed it yet. If ya can post up a how to on it. The more information out there makes it easier for me to do it.

My mechanical skills are just a half a step above lefty loosey righty tighty.
Buy the AllBalls bearing conversion kit its listed on their site. Makes for a bolt on conversion other than steering stops and ignition/lock.
nic579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #55970
Redclayrider
Long time gone

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic579 View Post
Buy the AllBalls bearing conversion kit its listed on their site. Makes for a bolt on conversion other than steering stops and ignition/lock.
I picked them up a few days ago, then I got told the bearings are to thin and would not last? That person said the best way to do it is to press out the XR stem (top to bottom because of the C-clip), press out the CR stem, then press the XR stem into the CR forks?????? I have not done any measuring yet so I have no idea if this will work.
Redclayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #55971
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinjames View Post

Also i was looking at my fork brace. and it looks like ill have to get rid of my stock fork covers if i use my brace. is this true? if so what fork prtector would you guys suggest?
Like others have said, just slide the boot up about an inch or two. just enough to get the brace mounted. No need for additional parts or mods...unless you want to.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #55972
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

So I sold the 08 XRL last week to help fund a little start up business. I came home last night with another Honda 250cc(242) beast. Just can't keep away.

It's not very fast but it has one hell of a stator!

Old 03-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #55973
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
So I sold the 08 XRL last week to help fund a little start up business. I came home last night with another Honda 250cc(242) beast. Just can't keep away.

Has it got lecky start....

I see no freekin grip warmers either

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #55974
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post

Is your frame still bare like this...or does anyone have a stripped down frame? Can someone take a pic or three of the sub frame looking back towards the front of the bike using the sub frame like sighting down a barrel of a rifle.
Reason I ask is my XRL's subframe is slightly bent...UP! The right side is higher up then the left. I think the left side is close to being right while the right side is a tad askew. It looks to be bent right behind the upper cross brace on the back but just wanted pics to see where it "should" be. One of these days I'll have to take the back end apart, heat and bend back into alignment. I'll most likely beef up the sub frame while I'm at it.
I didn't notice it when I bought the bike back in 09. I've known something was amiss since the first time I took the racks off though.

Thanks for any pics!

Old 03-12-2013, 10:12 AM   #55975
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
Has it got lecky start....

I see no freekin grip warmers either

B
No, no magic button.

No grip heaters either...but I do have an extra set! Maybe that will be the first mod.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #55976
nic579
x

Oddometer: 364
Quote:
I picked them up a few days ago, then I got told the bearings are to thin and would not last? That person said the best way to do it is to press out the XR stem (top to bottom because of the C-clip), press out the CR stem, then press the XR stem into the CR forks?????? I have not done any measuring yet so I have no idea if this will work.
You might look around ie: search at thumpertalk there is a thread with the steps but if I recall the xrl stem was too short but I may be wrong there, I liked the bearing swap its too easy and I was too cheep for the conversion triple clamps which are the best option in my book.

I think this is the thread I was thinking of. http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/592...sion-complete/
nic579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:38 AM   #55977
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,620
Quote:

It might be fast, but the suspension appears to be awfully stiff!

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #55978
Olderslowerguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Is your frame still bare like this...or does anyone have a stripped down frame? Can someone take a pic or three of the sub frame looking back towards the front of the bike using the sub frame like sighting down a barrel of a rifle.
Reason I ask is my XRL's subframe is slightly bent...UP! The right side is higher up then the left. I think the left side is close to being right while the right side is a tad askew. It looks to be bent right behind the upper cross brace on the back but just wanted pics to see where it "should" be. One of these days I'll have to take the back end apart, heat and bend back into alignment. I'll most likely beef up the sub frame while I'm at it.
I didn't notice it when I bought the bike back in 09. I've known something was amiss since the first time I took the racks off though.

Thanks for any pics!
This what you are looking for?

Old 03-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #55979
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olderslowerguy View Post
This what you are looking for?

Anybody killed in that wreck?
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7

fritzcoinc screwed with this post 03-12-2013 at 11:01 AM
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #55980
Olderslowerguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Since the CRF stem is a larger diameter than the XRL's, it's not as simple to press the CRF stem out of the CRF triples and press the L's stem in. The L's stem is a smaller diameter, so you will have to shim the base to match that of the CRF's, then press it in. Or the other alternative is to turn the CRF stem down to the same size of the L's. There was someone on here who was doing that for a while, think Beechum1?, but not sure he is still doing it....as far as the length of the L stem, it is shorter than the CRF's, but there is still enough grip for the top nut. You have to remember that the CRF trees are thicker, which also adds to the shortness of the L stem...but it will work.

Olderslowerguy screwed with this post 03-12-2013 at 10:59 AM
Olderslowerguy is online now   Reply With Quote