Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 07:50 AM   #56101
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
OK.......has anyone put a brighter bulb in their headlight....the stock one isn`t bad..but more=better.

B
Put in an H4 bulb, looked brighter looking at it but didn't show road ahead nearly as well as stock so removed it?
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:14 AM   #56102
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
So, it started to get almost warm here early in the week. I rolled the XRL out into the warm sunlight and eagerly went over it, checking, lubing, cleared the fuel bowl and it fired right up... was psyched to go for a ride soon and then it got cold... nasty cold now... but at least the bike and I are ready to learn how to ride again!

Brian, I make an effort to be back home on the xrl before dark.
PS: why do you use "backwards" apostrophes?
Cause i`m not an english major,,,i`m a mechanic,,,thus i`m a little tarded..and could care less

I love night riding......i can see headlights coming on the trail,,go wherever i want as fast i want,ride the highways backwards...etc..i love riding at night,always did....

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #56103
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
I have a 100w high beam thta came with my Husky if you want it. I was scared it would burn up the wires.

But yeah, the Sylvania Ultras are much brighter but don't last as long. Maybe a third the life of standard bulb. Here's a tip. Get a Harley headlight bulb. More expensive, YES but a hell of a well made bulb. If anybody knows how to build something to resist vibration, Harley does. Their tail light bulbs are kick ass as well. I have had both in my Honda for over two years now. Still going! I learned about the supierior quality of Harley bulbs from a Houston motorcycle cop.

You will be able to see this better with a Harley bulb:

Cool..i know when changing brake bulbs,,get a Stanley bulb,which is OE on these bikes as the filament is well supported,,last longer..i also knew that some of these "brighter" bulbs don`t last....i`ll call my dealer see what they say....

The 100w bulbs i`m kinda scared of too...may be pushing it wattage wise..

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
Old 03-14-2013, 08:23 AM   #56104
bosley1980
Rider

Oddometer: 152
Question Footpegs

Hello Brian (techforlife),
Im done

Our agreement not valid? Can I offer to someone else?

bosley1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:25 AM   #56105
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
OK, I did it the hard way before, but this time I'm considering the simplest means of power and want your opinions.

The Ignition Switch delivers switched power (to drive GPS, grips etc.) on one side and unswitched (cigarette lighter) on the other (both I'd fuse of course). And then I was going to add a rocker switch between the ground for both which I was going to draw from a forked spade connector off the horn.

The idea of the switch was so I could kill everything if/when needed yet otherwise had the logical accessories on switched power and the cigarette outlet powered for things like my air compressor etc., without having to turn the key on. I liked these sources because I don't have to modify the factory harness. I'm a big fan of KISS.

Anyone got a problem with this?

RZ Rob
I tapped into switched power in the rats nest under the headlight (red with black stripe I think) for the outlet on the handlebars. This is mostly for my GPS. I went into the battery box and add an outlet by the rear rack that has power all the time. This is for running the compressor or charging my phone or possible extra rechargeable batteries for a camera. I could add a switch for the rear outlet, but I'm not sure I would remember to shut it off any better than I would remember to unplug what ever is charging. Same with the front outlet, assuming you don't want something in there say when you are trying to start the bike and for what ever reason you need all the power you can get. I wouldn't want to run the compressor off the front outlet as the wiring isn't that heavy up there. Keep it simple and forget the switch.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:37 AM   #56106
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

I was looking at led lighting as an option....i see alot in the vedors forum...hmmmm...

B
Old 03-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #56107
Ray Paul
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
OK.......has anyone put a brighter bulb in their headlight....the stock one isn`t bad..but more=better.

B
I run the sylvania ultra, brown pack, buy them at walmart in the two pack. My commute to work is 25 miles at 4:30 am mostly little country roads with lots of deer, dogs, hogs, armadillos and stuff. Five years and twenty two thousand miles i'v only had to replace it once and that was last year. Much better than stock. Having it adjusted right makes a big difference. Always a trade off with one light. Adjusted down some to see good on technical trails takes from distance on road. Thats why i liked that guys led set up in addition to his stock light posted last week. Next time i will check into the badass Harley bulb though
Ray Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:46 AM   #56108
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 765
For the guys looking for power I do this on pretty much all my bikes.Use either a distribution block with a cover or even a small fuse block. It works very well and gives you switched power for accessories.

First image courteous of canyonchasers.com

On my old WRR:
Old 03-14-2013, 08:53 AM   #56109
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,393
Quote:
I was looking at led lighting as an option....i see alot in the vedors forum...hmmmm...

B
Check a HD truck trailer parts place or a place that sells safety lighting for wreckers and such. There are a ton of LED's out there now.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:55 AM   #56110
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Check a HD truck trailer parts place or a place that sells safety lighting for wreckers and such. There are a ton of LED's out there now.
Yeah,,gettting better each year too...good ones with good throw and water proof are a little pricey...i don`t want to go race light though...so an add-on may be the trick..

B
Old 03-14-2013, 09:03 AM   #56111
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Paul View Post
I run the sylvania ultra, brown pack, buy them at walmart in the two pack. My commute to work is 25 miles at 4:30 am mostly little country roads with lots of deer, dogs, hogs, armadillos and stuff. Five years and twenty two thousand miles i'v only had to replace it once and that was last year. Much better than stock. Having it adjusted right makes a big difference. Always a trade off with one light. Adjusted down some to see good on technical trails takes from distance on road. Thats why i liked that guys led set up in addition to his stock light posted last week. Next time i will check into the badass Harley bulb though
That sounds like a fun ride every day. All I see is freeway.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:08 AM   #56112
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
.... And then I was going to add a rocker switch between the ground for both which I was going to draw from a forked spade connector off the horn. The idea of the switch was so I could kill everything if/when needed ...
Quote:
...I think I would run the air compressor straight off the bat. and not the wire harness at all. A switch to " kill" everything sounds like something waiting to go wrong. ...
Yep, especially if it's on the ground side.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:21 AM   #56113
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVCoop View Post
For the guys looking for power I do this on pretty much all my bikes. ... First image courteous of canyonchasers.com

That's pretty much what I came up with for my street bike switched accessories. Located the 30A fuse and relay under the seat beside the battery and ran a 10ga wire to the headlight assy. for distribution from there.

Since I use my xrl for trail riding, I'll probably just add an outlet near the battery someday, wired directly to the battery through only a 30A fuse to do double duty as a compressor outlet and battery tender input.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:22 AM   #56114
Ray Paul
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Cause i`m not an english major,,,i`m a mechanic,,,thus i`m a little tarded..and could care less

I love night riding......i can see headlights coming on the trail,,go wherever i want as fast i want,ride the highways backwards...etc..i love riding at night,always did....

B
Yea i'v always liked riding at night to, especially in the summer when it's 100 plus during the day. The thing that worries me the most about those supper bright head lights is blinding on coming traffic, especially cops. Out in the country where we live we have been known to make a twenty or thirty mile loop at night, mostly offroad but some slab, and maybe couple bud lights. Wouldn't want to get pulled over for riding with a spotlight on front. Thats just me though. I ain't a badass dude like some of ya'll and can't drink a whole lot. Just like to take a little break every once in a while and reflect back on the ride. Wouldn't even try it on that stuff fritz drinks or at the speeds "on and off" rides !!!
Ray Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:29 AM   #56115
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Paul View Post
Yea i'v always liked riding at night to, especially in the summer when it's 100 plus during the day. The thing that worries me the most about those supper bright head lights is blinding on coming traffic, especially cops. Out in the country where we live we have been known to make a twenty or thirty mile loop at night, mostly offroad but some slab, and maybe couple bud lights. Wouldn't want to get pulled over for riding with a spotlight on front. Thats just me though. I ain't a badass dude like some of ya'll and can't drink a whole lot. Just like to take a little break every once in a while and reflect back on the ride. Wouldn't even try it on that stuff fritz drinks or at the speeds "on and off" rides !!!
We think alot on night rides,,hot in summer i go out almost all night as i can`t sleep well...i like to bring beer with me...don`t want the cops pulling me for too bright a light and get a DWI charge...

I think an aftermarket led switched may be the right option...thanks...

B