Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 10:35 AM   #56416
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooga View Post
If anyone told me how needy the Pig is about oil, I might have reconsidered, but she's mine now and I love her. But I check the oil every time I gas up (on the factory tank) and she's always low (she's 11 years old, is that normal?) and this time I over-filled her and then needed to get crafty so I devised an oil-extraction set up from a syringe I had from an ear-irrigation kit and from some hose and a little super glue:
Not sure what to tell you about the oil usage, are you getting any smoke at startup? There's a little trick I learned from another site for bleeding brakes (not that your issue has anything to do with bleeding brakes) that may work better if you ever have to pump excessive oil out again. The trick was to take the pump out of something like a hand soap bottle with the pump. Get about a foot of hose the diameter of the pump tube that sticks down in the bottle. Insert the tube in the oil and pump into a container. Don't know it that would make the process cleaner for you or not.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #56417
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,302
Quote:
If anyone told me how needy the Pig is about oil, I might have reconsidered, but she's mine now and I love her. But I check the oil every time I gas up (on the factory tank) and she's always low (she's 11 years old, is that normal?) and this time I over-filled her and then needed to get crafty so I devised an oil-extraction set up from a syringe I had from an ear-irrigation kit and from some hose and a little super glue:
What sort of riding are you doing? Burning oil just putting around town is not normal. Using some oil when doing long highway runs is not unheard of.
How many miles are on the bike? Age is largely irrelevant. Mine is a '93 and the valve seals were shot, but the bore and rings where within spec when I pulled it apart a couple of years ago.
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #56418
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhitmore44 View Post
Not sure what to tell you about the oil usage, are you getting any smoke at startup? There's a little trick I learned from another site for bleeding brakes (not that your issue has anything to do with bleeding brakes) that may work better if you ever have to pump excessive oil out again. The trick was to take the pump out of something like a hand soap bottle with the pump. Get about a foot of hose the diameter of the pump tube that sticks down in the bottle. Insert the tube in the oil and pump into a container. Don't know it that would make the process cleaner for you or not.
Good idea, J. Also, they sell little hand pumps at the auto parts places that are handy. Of course, in his case, it's best to avoid over-filling the oil reservior. A finger or so above the top hole doesn't cause any issues, though.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #56419
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
What sort of riding are you doing? Burning oil just putting around town is not normal. Using some oil when doing long highway runs is not unheard of.
How many miles are on the bike? Age is largely irrelevant. Mine is a '93 and the valve seals were shot, but the bore and rings where within spec when I pulled it apart a couple of years ago.
Age does play a factor in the compliance of the valve seal material.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 03-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #56420
Dooga
Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhitmore44 View Post
Not sure what to tell you about the oil usage, are you getting any smoke at startup?
OK, when I start the bike in cold mornings under full choke then there is a few minutes of stinky white plumes -- I call it Mustard Gas -- but I thought maybe that was unburned fuel rather than oil smoke.

Or maybe my bike can predict Popes, since it's a white smoke -- is it burning oil rather than a plume of petrol?
Old 03-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #56421
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
OK, when I start the bike in cold mornings under full choke then there is a few minutes of stinky white plumes -- I call it Mustard Gas -- but I thought maybe that was unburned fuel rather than oil smoke.

Or maybe my bike can predict Popes, since it's a white smoke -- is it burning oil rather than a plume of petrol?
White is oil; black is petrol.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #56422
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,602
Quote:

Habemus papum; we have a pope. You're burning oil; your valve seals are probably worn out.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #56423
marlinjames
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
trailtech

i called trailtech this morning and told them what's going on. and i guess the 07 atleast not sure what other years are different. my rotor slots are kind of triangular, so the red clip magnet wont work, and neither will the standard speedo sensor i guess. so they're hooking me up with a sensor that mount directly to the forks with some super strong adhesive i guess
marlinjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #56424
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Habemus papum; ...
I'm very happy that the new pope is from Argentina!
Old 03-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #56425
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
I'm very happy that the new pope is from Argentina!
jajja

white smoke means CHURRASCO now

Thats the current joke, the latest one at least! jajajjaa

peace
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #56426
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

con chimichurri
Old 03-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #56427
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinjames View Post
i called trailtech this morning and told them what's going on. and i guess the 07 atleast not sure what other years are different. my rotor slots are kind of triangular, so the red clip magnet wont work, and neither will the standard speedo sensor i guess. so they're hooking me up with a sensor that mount directly to the forks with some super strong adhesive i guess

They sell that stick on sensor with the standard, fit all, kit. I was worried that the stick on would unstick at a bad time, so I went with a soild mount and threaded sensor. I wanted to be ready for Baja! twice, maybe three times.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #56428
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,182
I broke one of the forward brackets for the acerbis valdez. anyone have extras? I have the .500" OD, .0625 wall thickness tube brackets.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:22 PM   #56429
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,182
Also, last friday afternoon.

I just finished uploading today, from yesterday.

single track to follow
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #56430
marlinjames
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
cdi relocate

Ive tried searching around here and can't find but i know ive seen it on here. anyone here have the link?
marlinjames is offline   Reply With Quote