techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #56627
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post

B
hey dude, get ride of that. I just nuked mine. There's a chance it could be copyrighted because it came from TT, regardless of the information and it's author.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:46 AM   #56628
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmagnum View Post
The bike is a 1995 and it looks like it's had a rough life...

Considering I want to ride this thing around the World, I think I'm going to replace the coil, lead and CDI unit anyway.
To take a nearly 20 year old bike on a RTW trip, personally I would disassemble it nearly completely and go over everything with a fine tooth comb. I'd replace the coil and lead if they showed signs of stress and/or age, such as crazing or cracking. With their propensity to go bad, it's wise to carry a spare CDI so I'd get two. I'd open and inspect every last connector and connection, make sure they're bright and cheerful, and apply new silicone grease inside connectors. I'd start out with a new battery and new bulbs all around with silicone grease on the bases. A coating of silicone grease inside the spark plug cap. I'd rework the shocks (forks and rear) and all linkages including swingarm. I'd rework all the brake components - clean and new rubber master and slaves. I'd replace all the control cables. I'd pull the head and check the valve train and cylinder for wear, and slip on new valve seals as a minimum if all else looks great. I'd check the output shaft for signs of wear and have an XRR sprocket on it. I'd start out with new sprockets and chain, and all the chain guider/slider parts. I'd take a spare chain slider (particularly the one covering the swingarm). I'd start with new wheel bearings and seals. Make sure everything that moves has been cleaned and lubed - controls, cables, brake light switches, all switches in fact, etc, etc., pegs, even. I'd make a checklist starting with all this then adding the things I realized aren't listed here.

I don't have to say new brake pads, tires, oil and filter...
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #56629
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
To take a nearly 20 year old bike on a RTW trip, personally I would disassemble it nearly completely and go over everything with a fine tooth comb. I'd replace the coil and lead if they showed signs of stress and/or age, such as crazing or cracking. With their propensity to go bad, it's wise to carry a spare CDI so I'd get two. I'd open and inspect every last connector and connection, make sure they're bright and cheerful, and apply new silicone grease inside connectors. I'd start out with a new battery and new bulbs all around with silicone grease on the bases. A coating of silicone grease inside the spark plug cap. I'd rework the shocks (forks and rear) and all linkages including swingarm. I'd rework all the brake components - clean and new rubber master and slaves. I'd replace all the control cables. I'd pull the head and check the valve train and cylinder for wear, and slip on new valve seals as a minimum if all else looks great. I'd check the output shaft for signs of wear and have an XRR sprocket on it. I'd start out with new sprockets and chain, and all the chain guider/slider parts. I'd take a spare chain slider (particularly the one covering the swingarm). I'd start with new wheel bearings and seals. Make sure everything that moves has been cleaned and lubed - controls, cables, brake light switches, all switches in fact, etc, etc., pegs, even. I'd make a checklist starting with all this then adding the things I realized aren't listed here.

Orrrrrrrrr just sell it and buya new bike for all the work/money that`d take...

You wouldn`t see me doing a RTW trip on a 20 year old bike...2-3 years tops....not worth the hassle IMHO..

B
Old 03-21-2013, 11:11 AM   #56630
tedmagnum
Ted_Magnum UK

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post

Yarp.... All on the list.

I've done a few of these tyres of trips before on old singles. I do all the prep myself.

I actually work for BMW Motorrad as a technician. However, we just plug our bikes into the MOS computer and it says: "This is broken because of this"

I very rarely get the chance to play with a multimeter.

Actually, I'm not even aloud to use a multimeter in work as we have to follow warranty procedures
Old 03-21-2013, 11:18 AM   #56631
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,675
Quote:

I've done a few of these tyres of trips before on old singles. I do all the prep myself.

I actually work for BMW Motorrad as a technician. However, we just plug our bikes into the MOS computer and it says: "This is broken because of this"

Actually, I'm not even aloud to use a multimeter in work as we have to follow warranty procedures
You will be fine. One thing about a Honda, you can find parts for it all over the world. Just like a M98 Mauser.

What can you tell me about tire pressure sensor calibration on a 07 K1200GT. Everythiong works but the reading on the dash is not matching my " calibrated, digital, two decimal place" air pressure gage.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:20 AM   #56632
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigman View Post
Done that

Its coming , its coming , Chill T F O.
Yo, Big, you get that done at PolyDyne?
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #56633
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
You will be fine. One thing about a Honda, you can find parts for it all over the world. Just like a M98 Mauser.
Careful, Fritz. You will get sent away...
Old 03-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #56634
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
Careful, Fritz. You will get sent away...
He just got out though

B
Old 03-21-2013, 01:08 PM   #56635
Bell driver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
I have a non runner
Startet fine in the morning, drove to work, everything good.
Idled it for a minute and shut her down.
8 hours later...No start.

I have a spark, taken the airfilter out, took the carb out, cleaned the idle jet set the pilot 2.25 out. Took the 152 main out and replaced with a 155 Keihin, have dynojet needle done by PO.
Fuel flows from tank into carb bowl.

Everynow and then I have a back fire into the airbox.
Electrix check out ok, measured at CDI plug.

CDI dead despite having a spark?
Have an Ignitech at home 6000km away as a spare, they delivered 2 weeks late
2008 KLR650E
Bell driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:17 PM   #56636
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell driver View Post
I have a non runner
Startet fine in the morning, drove to work, everything good.
Idled it for a minute and shut her down.
8 hours later...No start.

I have a spark, taken the airfilter out, took the carb out, cleaned the idle jet set the pilot 2.25 out. Took the 152 main out and replaced with a 155 Keihin, have dynojet needle done by PO.
Fuel flows from tank into carb bowl.

Everynow and then I have a back fire into the airbox.
Electrix check out ok, measured at CDI plug.

CDI dead despite having a spark?
Have an Ignitech at home 6000km away as a spare, they delivered 2 weeks late
check your valves, pull the plug and see if you're getting compression.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #56637
Bell driver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Forgot to mention, valves are all within spec.
2008 KLR650E
Bell driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #56638
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
kill switch and starter switch can give grief like that as well as the cdi.
Yep! Tedmagnum, do what I didn't do first...take the ignition cut off switch all the way apart and clean it real good. You'd be surprised how much grief that little switch can cause.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=52434

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:39 PM   #56639
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:

Awesome. Guess I was of no help, but I tried. I use multimeters all the time in the home and in the garage. There's an old Fluke running not ten feet from me watching the voltage on a battery under charge. All old-school here except one car which I got a reader for which helps make nailing down problems a cinch. I'm not looking forward to the day in which I have to rebuild the supercharger, and of course, basically re-do the whole engine, though.

And at least all your work isn't warranty work... you get to do stuff for people, right?
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 03-21-2013, 01:46 PM   #56640
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Might want to ask Bryce about that over on his thread Oregon to Ushuaia on an XR650L

Quote:
What can you tell me about tire pressure sensor calibration on a 07 K1200GT. Everythiong works but the reading on the dash is not matching my " calibrated, digital, two decimal place" air pressure gage.
That would be cool if you can calibrate it. Good luck.