Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 07:52 AM   #56686
Gone14s
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
I loved my Magna. Had an Interceptor back in the day too.

RZ Rob
Nice, I think all V4's where ahead of there time when they came out.
If I had to pick my favorite it would be the 86 VF750F. Those where fast bike and they where gear to gear drive cams instead of the chain drives.
Also had the brown case lighter motors with the race half cut frames that Bubba Shoebert won with.
My second pick would be the 83 V65 Magna.

But we really are off topic here ...sorry.

Kurt

http://s1085.photobucket.com/albums/...900%20elefant/
Gone14s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:01 AM   #56687
nic579
x

Oddometer: 360
Any of you cool oil guys ever play with any of this industrial finned tubing I had seen some in the past that had fins inside and outside.
nic579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:04 AM   #56688
nic579
x

Like this.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:10 AM   #56689
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic579 View Post
Any of you cool oil guys ever play with any of this industrial finned tubing I had seen some in the past that had fins inside and outside. ...
That's the type of stuff I was referring to earlier. Replace the return tube with something like this for added cooling.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:14 AM   #56690
nic579
x

These sections would be more like an oil cooler but there is the smaller bendy stuff.

I missed your post, I cant keep up here.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:20 AM   #56691
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

That's cool; I can't either. Yes, small and bendy enough. That would be cool, pardon the pun. Possibly easier to install than mounting a cooler and fewer plumbing issues, no additional connections...
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 03-22-2013, 08:31 AM   #56692
nic579
x

http://www.fintube.com/gallery.html

Old 03-22-2013, 08:59 AM   #56693
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Sweet!
Old 03-22-2013, 10:05 AM   #56694
wyoxr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
I finally got some work done on my fork swap. They don't make the bike run cooler, but the sure make it look that way. The forks are 46mm KYB off of a Yamaha WR400.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #56695
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone14s View Post
Nice, I think all V4's where ahead of there time when they came out.
If I had to pick my favorite it would be the 86 VF750F. Those where fast bike and they where gear to gear drive cams instead of the chain drives.
Also had the brown case lighter motors with the race half cut frames that Bubba Shoebert won with.
My second pick would be the 83 V65 Magna.

But we really are off topic here ...sorry.

Kurt
Sorry to continue the threadjack, but I too loved the V4 - especially the '83 V45 (original Interceptor) and the later 1000. And yes, I was at Seca when Bubba cleaned house on one.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #56696
marlinjames
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteclint View Post
What are the warning/danger numbers for a dipstick thermometer?

I know the oil will be hotter around the drain plug... Where the Trail Tech sensor reads (Am I right about that sensor placement??)... And will probably provide a more accurate engine/oil temp reading. How do those warning numbers correlate to the dipstick thermometer that reads higher up on the bike.

All I have now is the dipstick thermometer and with the weather warming up I want to really start monitoring.

Thanks!
My kit came with a washer that reads the temp. The washer goes on the oil line on the right back side of the motor
marlinjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:30 AM   #56697
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteclint View Post
What are the warning/danger numbers for a dipstick thermometer?

I know the oil will be hotter around the drain plug... Where the Trail Tech sensor reads (Am I right about that sensor placement??)... And will probably provide a more accurate engine/oil temp reading. How do those warning numbers correlate to the dipstick thermometer that reads higher up on the bike.

All I have now is the dipstick thermometer and with the weather warming up I want to really start monitoring.

Thanks!
All I have is the dipstick thermometer. I'm going off of what others said about temps based on their dipstick thermometers. 300 degrees leaves some wiggle room for slightly higher temps at other locations. Since installing my dipstick thermometer I haven't seen a temp higher than 205, but that was beginning of Fall, so I'll probably see higher temps this summer.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:32 AM   #56698
mrfixit54016
Wisconsin Dual Sporter

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinjames View Post
My kit came with a washer that reads the temp. The washer goes on the oil line on the right back side of the motor

Correct. I don't think you want it running down to your drain plug.
1983 XL100S
1985 ATC250ES
mrfixit54016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #56699
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Were I to venture a guess... when out on the edge... I'd guess that the temp. most critical to monitor would be the cylinder head temp. - at/near the base of the plug.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #56700
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
Sorry to continue the threadjack, but I too loved the V4 - especially the '83 V45 (original Interceptor) and the later 1000. And yes, I was at Seca when Bubba cleaned house on one. RZ Rob
Cool. They're so smooth and zippy. I'm hoping to take mine out next week. Every time I roll the throttle back it amazes me, especially when I decide to let the RPMs keep climbing! Some 'maggot coined the phrase "rocket-assisted freight train" and we all feel it. BTW, your Magna looked sharp!