ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 12:04 PM   #56701
tedmagnum
Ted_Magnum UK
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Liverpool, UK
Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
You will be fine. One thing about a Honda, you can find parts for it all over the world. Just like a M98 Mauser.

What can you tell me about tire pressure sensor calibration on a 07 K1200GT. Everythiong works but the reading on the dash is not matching my " calibrated, digital, two decimal place" air pressure gage.
I'd say the tyre sensor is probably knackered or the bike needs to be hooked up to a dealer MOS computer as have the sensor reset or recalibrated (if possible)

Any faults codes showing up ?
__________________
www.touringted.com - South America travel blog.
tedmagnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:30 PM   #56702
taco250
wannabe adventurer
 
taco250's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: LaGrange, GA
Oddometer: 1,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoxr View Post
I finally got some work done on my fork swap. They don't make the bike run cooler, but the sure make it look that way. The forks are 46mm KYB off of a Yamaha WR400.






Those look good. How did you do the swap?
__________________
Prov 3:5 & 6

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #56703
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8
 
fritzcoinc's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Cypress, Tx
Oddometer: 6,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmagnum View Post
I'd say the tyre sensor is probably knackered or the bike needs to be hooked up to a dealer MOS computer as have the sensor reset or recalibrated (if possible)

Any faults codes showing up ?

No faults. I have replaced both wheel sensors and the security module with the latest Rev. parts. There was a service bulletin on the securety module. Apparently the security system interfered with the tire pressure monitor system. The system works well now, just not super accurate. The air gage I have now allows me to actually set 36.3 PSI front and 41.6 PSI rear ( those germans ).
__________________
Regards
Fritzcoinc
96 XR650L, 96 Guzzi Sport, 07 BMW K1200GT,
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #56704
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8
 
fritzcoinc's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Cypress, Tx
Oddometer: 6,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
I can picture the scenario... engineers proposed a design which allowed at least a two-point calibration via software interface (easy to implement and adds versatility) but the marketeers picked up on an opportunity to save a couple bucks of development time and said naw, all we need is something ballpark.


Yikes!! You're right.... (for once)
Thats my big BITCH with BMW. They design a masterpiece of a machine then source the compoents from the lowest bidder. In doing so accept less than design intent.
__________________
Regards
Fritzcoinc
96 XR650L, 96 Guzzi Sport, 07 BMW K1200GT,
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #56705
Super Dave Hawaii
Ain't Dead Yet!
 
Super Dave Hawaii's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Oahu,Hawaii
Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
Thats my big BITCH with BMW. They design a masterpiece of a machine then source the compoents from the lowest bidder. In doing so accept less than design intent.

Yuuupp!
__________________
2001 XR650L With 107,560 miles. Nicest one around! Building CRF450 Rally Bike.
Super Dave Hawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:15 PM   #56706
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoxr View Post
I finally got some work done on my fork swap. They don't make the bike run cooler, but the sure make it look that way. The forks are 46mm KYB off of a Yamaha WR400.






The WR400 forks look great! Please do give us the details on the installation.

P.S. You might want to route the front brake cable inside the fork leg.

Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #56707
wyoxr
Adventurer
 
wyoxr's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Newcastle, Wy
Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250 View Post
Those look good. How did you do the swap?
Thanks Taco, I had a local machinist turn a bushing that pressed onto the xr stem then into the wr triple. The bushing ended up havin a double shoulder to allow for the circlip groove.




I had to have a little thickness machined off of the top clamp to allow for the length that was lost in to the stem bushing. The Yamaha top clamp has two threaded bosses on the right side for the stock odometer, the spacing is a little to wide for the xr key switch so I only used one bolt for now. For the gauge cluster I drilled and tapped two holes in the top clamp and made a couple spacers out of hardware store bushings to get it mounted up.




The brake calipers are the exact same part so that was easy. The honda brake line was just a little too short to get routed properly, so I swapped it out with the Yamaha line. The honda brake line has a slight bend at the master cylinder banjo bolt and the Yamaha does not but I was able to make it work.
__________________
Jason
2008 XR650L
wyoxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #56708
tedmagnum
Ted_Magnum UK
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Liverpool, UK
Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
No faults. I have replaced both wheel sensors and the security module with the latest Rev. parts. There was a service bulletin on the securety module. Apparently the security system interfered with the tire pressure monitor system. The system works well now, just not super accurate. The air gage I have now allows me to actually set 36.3 PSI front and 41.6 PSI rear ( those germans ).
Well I would assume sub-standard components then.... You've done pretty much everything you can.

When we PDI bikes we're meant to use the bikes on-board pressure sensors but we use our physically calibrated unit built into our airline.

I always recommend people use it as a guide only.....
__________________
www.touringted.com - South America travel blog.
tedmagnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #56709
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8
 
fritzcoinc's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Cypress, Tx
Oddometer: 6,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmagnum View Post
Well I would assume sub-standard components then.... You've done pretty much everything you can.

When we PDI bikes we're meant to use the bikes on-board pressure sensors but we use our physically calibrated unit built into our airline.

I always recommend people use it as a guide only.....
Thanks for the info.
Cheers!!!
__________________
Regards
Fritzcoinc
96 XR650L, 96 Guzzi Sport, 07 BMW K1200GT,
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #56710
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider
 
Mossy-Back's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Corvallis, OR
Oddometer: 1,490
Woohoo! Sold my old white 4.0 gallon tank. Almost made enough to cover the cost of my 4.7 gallon tank. Loving it so far. The black looks SO much better than the old yellowing white tank, and the extra fuel won't hurt.

I'd post a picture, but it's pouring rain right now...
__________________
Evan
2013 Husqvarna Strada
'93 XR650L (Gone, but missed)
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #56711
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer
 
mcma111's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco,Ca.
Oddometer: 10,809
Rain

Sucks to be you.

62' and not a cloud in the bright blue sky.

Been riding around all day doing errands.
__________________
Steve in SF

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:41 PM   #56712
techforlife
CDI REPAIR
 
techforlife's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Moncton,New Brunswick
Oddometer: 4,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Sucks to be you.

62' and not a cloud in the bright blue sky.

Been riding around all day doing errands.
You gotta stop rubbin it in.......FFS......




Back to drinkin........you too Steve


B
__________________
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:50 PM   #56713
JWhitmore44
pistolero
 
JWhitmore44's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: NW Kansas
Oddometer: 1,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Sucks to be you.

62' and not a cloud in the bright blue sky.

Been riding around all day doing errands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
You gotta stop rubbin it in.......FFS......




Back to drinkin........you too Steve


B

+1 Getting ready for another "spring" blizzard. Supposed to move in tonight (actually tomorrow morning) and drop 8 to 14 inches. A lot of that will be getting blown around tomorrow. I'm bout ready to head south for the spring
__________________
84 Honda Goldwing (GL1200)
03 XR650L
JWhitmore44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #56714
taco250
wannabe adventurer
 
taco250's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: LaGrange, GA
Oddometer: 1,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoxr View Post
Thanks Taco, I had a local machinist turn a bushing that pressed onto the xr stem then into the wr triple. The bushing ended up havin a double shoulder to allow for the circlip groove.




I had to have a little thickness machined off of the top clamp to allow for the length that was lost in to the stem bushing. The Yamaha top clamp has two threaded bosses on the right side for the stock odometer, the spacing is a little to wide for the xr key switch so I only used one bolt for now. For the gauge cluster I drilled and tapped two holes in the top clamp and made a couple spacers out of hardware store bushings to get it mounted up.

What year WR was it? I'm guessing '99 or 2000? Which rim/axle did you use?
__________________
Prov 3:5 & 6

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:03 PM   #56715
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Near Cortland NY
Oddometer: 3,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by katbeanz View Post
I stole it from Flying Eyeball, Blakebird found the vid it's from.







I don't think it's an xrl
Of course not, if it were all the water would have splashed out of the creek!
__________________
---->>Thanks for the rotor, guys!<<----
XR650L_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014