Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #56776
indythumper
Hoosier hillbilly

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliverator View Post
How about some photos?
Sorry. I am new here and not sure how to add photos.
indythumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #56777
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliverator View Post
How about some photos?

1993-2013

bomber1965 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:08 PM   #56778
indythumper
Hoosier hillbilly

Oddometer: 11
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

indythumper screwed with this post 03-23-2013 at 09:33 PM
indythumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:34 PM   #56779
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,098
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died. The only thing that comes to those who wait is old age. Too many dreams.... Not enough time. Not Scared of dying. Not scared of living. Just scared of the pain that separates the two...
kenny61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:52 PM   #56780
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
You mean like this?

OK, How about now?

I figured someone backed up into your front bumper. I'm glad the Parking Nazi caught him/her.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:54 PM   #56781
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by indythumper View Post
Sorry. I am new here and not sure how to add photos.
Congratulations on acquiring your new bike, and welcome to this thread. The following link explains how to post photos on this forum.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=919

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 03-23-2013, 10:07 PM   #56782
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooga View Post
Bugger. Sounds like quite a project. But it stops after a short time. When she warms up things expand and start fitting better, eh?
The oil leaks slowly from the cylinder head into the cylinder through the worn valve seals. As the bike sits idle overnight, or longer, the leaking oil accumulates on top of the piston. When you start the bike after it has sat for a while, the engine burns the oil it accumulated in the cylinder from the last time the engine ran. Once the accumulated oil is burned, the white smoke lessens, until the next time you start the bike with a cold engine. The oil seals are still leaking when the engine is hot, but the smoke lessens after you have burned the accumulated engine oil.

The burning oil is caking on top of the piston, cylinder dome, and valves. The burning oil is also probably degrading the seal between the valve faces and valve seats. I suggest you remove the cylinder head, inspect the top end of the engine, and replace the valve stem seals, which are part #1 in the following diagram.

The XR650L also has O-rings under the valve guides which can leak. These O-rings are part #15 in the following diagram.

Spud

Spud Rider screwed with this post 03-23-2013 at 10:18 PM
Old 03-23-2013, 10:18 PM   #56783
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,346
Farkle Brackets

So I'm doing Farkle additions 2.0. I made these brackets so I could add the GPS and iPhone, but needed to add the rubber dampening.

Before Assembly

After

I added a waterproof power outlet too. Everything's on switched power, right off the key.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #56784
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
So I'm doing Farkle additions 2.0. I made these brackets so I could add the GPS and iPhone, but needed to add the rubber dampening.

Before Assembly

You did an excellent job fabricating the brackets. Everything looks very professional.

Spud
Old 03-23-2013, 10:32 PM   #56785
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
You did an excellent job fabricating the brackets. Everything looks very professional.

Spud
Hacksaw, drill & file. Manual machine shop.

RZ Rob
Old 03-23-2013, 10:34 PM   #56786
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinjames View Post
I took the bike out for a ride today and the trailtech worked great minus the rpm sensor its reading double. I have it hooked straight to coil and the ground is hooked to the top engine mount. after reading the directions it says something about setting the pulse rate and stuff.
have any of you done that to yours?
I just installed a Trail Tech Vapor on my CRF250X.

You need to enter the Data Setting Mode and set the Program Pulses Per Revolution (PPR). The default value is 1 PPR, which is correct for your XR650L. It appears you might have set the PPR to 2, which would double the tachometer reading.

Spud
Old 03-23-2013, 10:35 PM   #56787
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Hacksaw, drill & file. Manual machine shop.

RZ Rob
You did a superb job. Where did you get the metal stock?

Spud
Old 03-23-2013, 10:43 PM   #56788
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooga View Post
I was hoping you might be able to give me some advice on a durable, lockable, top box. And I don't mind if it'll make me look like a commuter dork -- I just want someplace to put some extra oil and funnel and so forth, etc. Is a Givi the way to go? I don't need to put a helmet in there. My head is so huge there's no case in the world that could swallow my SHOEI.
A Givi case is very good, but it is also very expensive. I really like my J.C. Whitney Travel Trunk.

This travel trunk locks to a metal mounting plate, and is easily removed after you reach your destination, or return home. Unfortunately, J.C. Whitney no longer sells this item, so one needs to buy the equivalent travel trunk from eBay, or another vendor. If you decide to purchase a copy of this travel trunk, make sure you get a travel trunk with a metal mounting plate; the plastic mounting plates will fail.

Spud

Spud Rider screwed with this post 03-23-2013 at 11:11 PM
Old 03-23-2013, 10:46 PM   #56789
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Ims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Where did you get the metal stock?

Spud
My local supplier is IMS Industrial Metal Supply. I just got a cheap remnant that I could carve into something.

RZ Rob
Old 03-23-2013, 10:52 PM   #56790
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
My local supplier is IMS Industrial Metal Supply. I just got a cheap remnant that I could carve into something.

RZ Rob
That company is a nice resource. Unfortunately, all the locations are too far from Idaho.

Spud