Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 06:53 AM   #56836
dtchdgr
OldGoat

Oddometer: 20
xrl brake calipers

Hey Everyone.
Thanks in advance for some redirection. I have searched the xrl thread index and done a search using the 'search this thread' tool as well. I know nearly everyone doing brake/caliper maintenance has had problems with the 5mm allen headed pins on the calipers, but I can't seem to find the solution I know I've seen somewhere on here. I know a replacement hex headed pin is supposed to be available from someone, but I can't find a reference. Please send me in the proper direction.

I stripped the allen head, drilled it out, and got it out with an easy-out. I cut a slot for a flat head screw driver across the top of the allen head and temporarily re-installed it with plenty of anti-sieze lube on the threads. I'd like to replace this pin with a hex head pin. Please tell me where to get this part.

Again, thanks much.
dtchdgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:28 AM   #56837
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,209
Caliper Pins

Here ya go:

http://www.crfstuff.com/crfstststcab.html

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:35 AM   #56838
Lane_N
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
That came from one of our own... Thanks Lane!
You're welcome Red. Your dash looks great!

If anyone else is working on a custom dash, PM me if you want to talk about a nameplate/indicator plate, I can probably help you out. I always enjoy working on cool bike parts, even when they aren't mine.
Lane_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:39 AM   #56839
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,326
Quote:
Got the dash mostly squared away today. I might actually have this thing back on the trail sometime soon! ...
Not too soon, it's still Winter. Class-action suit against Punxsutawney Phil. Snow is falling and several inches on the ground. Dash looks good.

Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:49 AM   #56840
dtchdgr
OldGoat

Oddometer: 20
xrl caliper

Thanks mcma111. As usual, You are the Man!!
Old 03-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #56841
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtchdgr View Post
replace this pin with a hex head pin. Please tell me where to get this part.
If you want to go a little cheaper..

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...650l+brake+pin
Old 03-25-2013, 03:35 PM   #56842
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by katbeanz View Post

Been using these for about 4 years. Couldn't tell the difference between the two.
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #56843
Mybrainheadache
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
USD Fork Conversion for Sale

Hey all...yes..a NOOB here so I'm prolly breaking some rule by posting this here...check out the Flea Mkt...I just listed my Emig top and bottom clamp and complete 2003 CR Front end....

Don't be Hatin'
Mybrainheadache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:45 PM   #56844
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,399
The Rat's Nest!

I got to picking at the wiring harness tonight. One thing lead to another and before I knew it, I had the whole mess unwrapped from the headlight back to the airbox. What a mess! Mr. Honda did a great job building bikes, but he needed to fire the meathead who designed their wiring harnesses. I managed to get the wires from the airbox up to the steering head rewrapped (in a brand new piece of that plastic accordion tubing shit) Now I have to sort out the mess behind the headlight. It doesn't help that there are several years worth of my splices and crap mixed in.
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:08 PM   #56845
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,100
$85.90....no splices http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-XR650L...d3e0fe&vxp=mtr
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died. The only thing that comes to those who wait is old age. Too many dreams.... Not enough time. Not Scared of dying. Not scared of living. Just scared of the pain that separates the two...
kenny61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:26 PM   #56846
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by katbeanz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1 View Post
Been using these for about 4 years. Couldn't tell the difference between the two.
I agree; the Tusk brake pins are great.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:09 AM   #56847
guinnessextreme
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
I got to picking at the wiring harness tonight. One thing lead to another and before I knew it, I had the whole mess unwrapped from the headlight back to the airbox. What a mess! Mr. Honda did a great job building bikes, but he needed to fire the meathead who designed their wiring harnesses. I managed to get the wires from the airbox up to the steering head rewrapped (in a brand new piece of that plastic accordion tubing shit) Now I have to sort out the mess behind the headlight. It doesn't help that there are several years worth of my splices and crap mixed in.
I just started in on cleaning up the harness. I started behind the headlight. since all my safeties are gone, the diode and all associated wiring are gone, rerouted some wires in the connectors and am in the process of wrapping it all up. I'll have some pics shortly. I know it still starts It better effing run

aftermarket headlight btw
Old 03-26-2013, 06:11 AM   #56848
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
advice

Help a brother out.....

I've got my DR up for sale or trade and was thinking about a street legal XR650R or a 650L....what are the pros and cons, basically?

Should I be concerned with the over heating issue during Georgia summer rides of the XR?
Can I get electric start on an XRR?

I want to get a little more aggressive off road, but like the idea of japanese reliability.

Thanks for your thoughts!
TIGERRIDER007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:24 AM   #56849
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRIDER007 View Post
Help a brother out.....

I've got my DR up for sale or trade and was thinking about a street legal XR650R or a 650L....what are the pros and cons, basically?
Having owned both, the XRL came out on top.

The XRR has the aluminum frame and water cooled, but lacks the electric start and while one just needs to "learn" the XRR starting procedure, it can leave one sweaty and sore. Also, the XRR is still a pig. It's no CRF (I have one of those too).

I like the XRL because it's so competent. It'd be my RTW choice. Sure it's a pig too, but it's no GS1200 Adventure. It's a very capable bike.

RZ Rob

RZRob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:27 AM   #56850
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRIDER007 View Post
Help a brother out.....

Should I be concerned with the over heating issue during Georgia summer rides of the XR?
Can I get electric start on an XRR?

I want to get a little more aggressive off road, but like the idea of japanese reliability.

Thanks for your thoughts!
I think E-starts on the XRR are pretty much a thing of the past. Often tried but never really worked well or I would have one.
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote