ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 11:46 AM   #56866
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer
 
mcma111's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco,Ca.
Oddometer: 10,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldtimerTC View Post
Hey Rob, Where can I get those vented frame covers (on bottom of frame triangle) and the little "clip" for connecting the saddle bag straps.

Frame Guards

https://worksconnection.com/details....return=--XR600

Clip


http://www.manracks.com/
__________________
Steve in SF

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #56867
GISkev
wwfsmd?
 
GISkev's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: UT
Oddometer: 1,675
free new clutch cable

I've got a new clutch cable that you can have if you live in Utah or want to pick it up in Salt Lake City... pm me as I won't be checking this thread.
__________________
Merge w the traffic, but don't go w the flow!

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #56868
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer
 
TIGERRIDER007's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Acworth, GA
Oddometer: 720
Thanks to all the riders who helped me, not sure what will happen to my DR....RZRob, that L looks like it wants to be ridden where there is plenty of dirt and dust, looks awesome, my ideal Honda....
__________________
Scott
06' Triumph Tiger (my lifer)
05' Husqvarna TE510 (yeller and blue)
TIGERRIDER007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:33 PM   #56869
RonZacapa
Adventurer
 
RonZacapa's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Durban - East Coast of Africa
Oddometer: 51
Overheating?! - Issues with the 650L

Thought I'd just chirp in regarding the much discussed overheating issues that gets much discussion points on this forum. Had my 650L for just over 2 years, 9500 miles on the clock. The bike is aircooled so that means the oil will reach higher temps than a watercooled bike. I somehow like riding an aircooled bike, much simpler tech and not much to go wrong for starters. Also been riding BMW airheads since 1985, my current R80 mutant Monolever (with otherwise stock engine) on a warmish day (30 C) sees oil temps in the region of 120 C (248F) when fully warmed up and riding normally. Caning it sees oil temp kreep up to an alarming 140C (284F) Racetrack use will see it reach 150C (302F)
Current mileage is 129K km or 80K miles thereabouts. Original pistons and cylinders. Cylinders Nikasil coated still showing cross honed factory pattern and all seems to be good for the next 80K miles. The point I am trying to make is that highish oil temperatures are not much of a point of concern in an aircooled bike as long as oil is changed at regular and appropriate intervals. Using a good quality oil is obviously not a bad thing either. Otherwise just cane your bike and enjoy the riding, stop worrying about the oil temperature and all should be good.

On a sidenote: Oil control on an Airhead beemer is way better than the big monoslug Honda piston. My airhead used 6mm of oil (measured on dipstick) of the 22mm range (min-max) on a 1000 mile trip last week. About 50% of the trip was slow bad gravel roads and the rest fastish in the 75 - 105 mph range. My XRL needs about a 250ml oil topup every 600 miles.
RonZacapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:13 PM   #56870
ONandOFF
-ROAD-
 
ONandOFF's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Shenandoah Valley riding wonderland
Oddometer: 5,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonZacapa View Post
Thought I'd just chirp in regarding the much discussed overheating issues that gets much discussion points on this forum. Had my 650L for just over 2 years, 9500 miles on the clock. The bike is aircooled so that means the oil will reach higher temps than a watercooled bike. I somehow like riding an aircooled bike, much simpler tech and not much to go wrong for starters. Also been riding BMW airheads since 1985, my current R80 mutant Monolever (with otherwise stock engine) on a warmish day (30 C) sees oil temps in the region of 120 C (248F) when fully warmed up and riding normally. Caning it sees oil temp kreep up to an alarming 140C (284F) Racetrack use will see it reach 150C (302F)
Current mileage is 129K km or 80K miles thereabouts. Original pistons and cylinders. Cylinders Nikasil coated still showing cross honed factory pattern and all seems to be good for the next 80K miles. The point I am trying to make is that highish oil temperatures are not much of a point of concern in an aircooled bike as long as oil is changed at regular and appropriate intervals. Using a good quality oil is obviously not a bad thing either. Otherwise just cane your bike and enjoy the riding, stop worrying about the oil temperature and all should be good.

On a sidenote: Oil control on an Airhead beemer is way better than the big monoslug Honda piston. My airhead used 6mm of oil (measured on dipstick) of the 22mm range (min-max) on a 1000 mile trip last week. About 50% of the trip was slow bad gravel roads and the rest fastish in the 75 - 105 mph range. My XRL needs about a 250ml oil topup every 600 miles.
Chirp duly noted.
__________________
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #56871
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8
 
fritzcoinc's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Cypress, Tx
Oddometer: 6,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronzacapa View Post
thought i'd just chirp in regarding the much discussed overheating issues that gets much discussion points on this forum. Had my 650l for just over 2 years, 9500 miles on the clock. The bike is aircooled so that means the oil will reach higher temps than a watercooled bike. I somehow like riding an aircooled bike, much simpler tech and not much to go wrong for starters. Also been riding bmw airheads since 1985, my current r80 mutant monolever (with otherwise stock engine) on a warmish day (30 c) sees oil temps in the region of 120 c (248f) when fully warmed up and riding normally. Caning it sees oil temp kreep up to an alarming 140c (284f) racetrack use will see it reach 150c (302f)
current mileage is 129k km or 80k miles thereabouts. Original pistons and cylinders. Cylinders nikasil coated still showing cross honed factory pattern and all seems to be good for the next 80k miles. The point i am trying to make is that highish oil temperatures are not much of a point of concern in an aircooled bike as long as oil is changed at regular and appropriate intervals. Using a good quality oil is obviously not a bad thing either. Otherwise just cane your bike and enjoy the riding, stop worrying about the oil temperature and all should be good.

on a sidenote: Oil control on an airhead beemer is way better than the big monoslug honda piston. My airhead used 6mm of oil (measured on dipstick) of the 22mm range (min-max) on a 1000 mile trip last week. About 50% of the trip was slow bad gravel roads and the rest fastish in the 75 - 105 mph range. My xrl needs about a 250ml oil topup every 600 miles.

+1
__________________
Regards
Fritzcoinc
96 XR650L, 96 Guzzi Sport, 07 BMW K1200GT,
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #56872
marlinjames
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Olympia, WA
Oddometer: 253
high rpm's

took the bike out this weekend and the tac seems to running about double. I have it hooked directly to the coil with the ground to the top engine mount. any one have any ideas?
also I was reading the directions and they said something about inputting pulse and duration to custom set the rpm's. has anyone done this?
marlinjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #56873
gammel
Gnarly Adventurer
 
gammel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Bay Area
Oddometer: 277
I have a question, do any of you have a Manracks Rubicon rack and use the Giant Loop coyote bag and if so do you have pics to show the set up. I also would like some input/suggestion and pics of course of Renazco seats, full vinyl, vinyl suede, full suede, colors, as i have a scheduled seat build in two weeks with James.
TIA
__________________
Bergie
gammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #56874
Barron
M0DAH0LIC
 
Barron's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Yokosuka, Japan
Oddometer: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by gammel View Post
....... and if so do you have pics to show the set up. I also would like some input/suggestion and pics of course of Renazco seats, full vinyl, vinyl suede, full suede, colors, as i have a scheduled seat build in two weeks with James.
TIA
+1, My full vinyl build starts in 6 weeks
__________________
1996 XR650L with a couple mods
If everyone brewed beer there would be no war.
Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #56875
gammel
Gnarly Adventurer
 
gammel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Bay Area
Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
+1, My full vinyl build starts in 6 weeks
Your doing a Renazco also? Single color?
__________________
Bergie
gammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:35 PM   #56876
gammel
Gnarly Adventurer
 
gammel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Bay Area
Oddometer: 277
Actually I'm thinking of vinyl sides with suede top.
__________________
Bergie
gammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:43 PM   #56877
Barron
M0DAH0LIC
 
Barron's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Yokosuka, Japan
Oddometer: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by gammel View Post
Your doing a Renazco also? Single color?
I was going to go with the black suede center and red vinyl on the sides, but my bike spends a lot of time out side so I decided to go with all vinyl (black center red sides).

-Barron
__________________
1996 XR650L with a couple mods
If everyone brewed beer there would be no war.
Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:01 PM   #56878
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer
 
RZRob's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Anaheim Hills, CA
Oddometer: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
I think so, too. It would be great for me solo. Do you think you'd change your mind if you were going to carry your lady on the back two-up? I'm having second thoughts. Passenger comfort isn't so great as-is, and there'd be little room left for gear...

Say, do you remember what rear tire that is on the XRR in the pic with the beautiful mountains and lakes? Looks like a good gripper.
If I was going 2-up it'd be on a GS-like bike.

That's the stock tire on the XRR. I found that bike BRAND NEW 10 years old. Bridgestone I guess?

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:05 PM   #56879
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer
 
RZRob's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Anaheim Hills, CA
Oddometer: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldtimerTC View Post
Hey Rob, Where can I get those vented frame covers (on bottom of frame triangle) and the little "clip" for connecting the saddle bag straps.
vented frame covers (Works Connection) and the little "clip" (ManRacks).

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:09 AM   #56880
Olderslowerguy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Olderslowerguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Clearwater, Fl
Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinjames View Post
took the bike out this weekend and the tac seems to running about double. I have it hooked directly to the coil with the ground to the top engine mount. any one have any ideas?
also I was reading the directions and they said something about inputting pulse and duration to custom set the rpm's. has anyone done this?
I think it was Spud who suggested that your PPR setting may be incorrect. It should be set to "2". If not, that's your problem.
__________________
OSG
Clearwater, Fl.
Olderslowerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014