User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 07:25 AM   #56896
Gone14s
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
My XRL

Bought the bike (95 Xr650l) about 6 months ago. She was all bone stock with 7900 miles on her and very well cared for.

I don't think I need to add all the mod's that have been done to it. They all OR most have been done as you can see in the pic's.

I would like to add a tip for the windscreen (Spit Fire) as I saw a few folks run them. I add two more mounting points to the wind screen that are attached to the headlight plastic.
I used big flat washers and flat rubber washers a 1 inch spacer and wing nuts. Just the wind screen mounts them self's would come loose on the trail or dirt riding. With the lower mounts attached to the plastic it stay's put. I have wing nut's on the back side of the plastic for quick removal of the screen. In the summer I take it off.

I'm sure there is a little to much "bling" on the bike. But the bike dose not just get rode on the street that much. It dose spend 95% of the time in the tree line as you can see.

I make a point to find the first mud hole to ride threw at the first part of the ride.
On the other hand I do like a clean bike to work on when she is not in the dirt.

Kurt

http://s1085.photobucket.com/albums/...900%20elefant/
Gone14s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:34 AM   #56897
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
Yup..unhook one of the wires and put a 12v test light between it and the battery...if it draws constantly your test light will stay lit..
That only works if the current draw is large enough to light the bulb. The battery will drain down with less current draw than what it takes to see the bulb glow.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:38 AM   #56898
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
That only works if the current draw is large enough to light the bulb. The battery will drain down with less current draw than what it takes to see the bulb glow.

If the small 12v bulb in my test light doesn`t glow.....it`d take a long,long time to kill a battery..

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:42 AM   #56899
OldtimerTC
XR650L

Oddometer: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
vented frame covers (Works Connection) and the little "clip" (ManRacks).

RZ Rob
Thanks Rob, ordered up
Member COHVO
OldtimerTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #56900
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
If the small 12v bulb in my test light doesn`t glow.....it`d take a long,long time to kill a battery.. B
Buena suerte!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 03-27-2013, 07:59 AM   #56901
gammel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
I've got two Renazco seats for the XRL.
This one is suede with leather sides and is +1" taller.

The other XRL seat is suede top with vinyl sides. This one was bought used.

Then there is the suede and leather +1" on the KTM 625 SMC and the two for the BMW R100gs. Dual and solo, suede and leather, +1".

See a pattern here?

Eat yer hearts out.
Thanks Steve. Didn't even think about leather, another good option. My bike lives in the garage when I'm not riding it so I'm definitely not going all vinyl. I've heard a lot of good things about these Renazco can't wait it's my bday present to myself
As far as noticing a pattern yes all those Renazco's, nice bikes:
Old 03-27-2013, 08:03 AM   #56902
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,687
If any of you guys are riding the Death Valley Noobs event stop by tent space 22 and say wazzup. I'm riding the GS but don't hold that against me!
prince_ruben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:10 AM   #56903
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,822
Quote:

So, Steve, the Renazco "couch" you're so enamored with - what does that do for passenger comfort?

I'm sure it's fine. I don't take passengers for rides.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:12 AM   #56904
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone14s View Post
I would like to add a tip for the windscreen (Spit Fire) as I saw a few folks run them. I add two more mounting points to the wind screen that are attached to the headlight plastic.
I used big flat washers and flat rubber washers a 1 inch spacer and wing nuts. Just the wind screen mounts them self's would come loose on the trail or dirt riding. With the lower mounts attached to the plastic it stay's put. I have wing nut's on the back side of the plastic for quick removal of the screen. In the summer I take it off.

Kurt
Clean and simple solution to anchoring the bottom of your windshield - well worth copying. That gap at the bottom probably gives nice airflow up the back side of the screen, kind of how the Laminar Lip shields work.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:30 AM   #56905
Gone14s
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks, It dose have good air flow from under the bottom. I added a 1 inch plastic spacer between the screen and the plastic. It also allows me to adjust the wind screen back and forth. The rubber washers keep the screen from cracking. I have dropped the bike a couple of times and it did not crack the wind screen either time.
When I first put the the wind screen on with just the screen mounts it would come loose on the dirt. It doesn't now

Kurt

Old 03-27-2013, 08:47 AM   #56906
3girlsdad
aka FiddyK

Oddometer: 354
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone14s View Post

kurt - have you crash tested those handguards yet? i bought a pair of those and haven't ridden the bike with them on yet, but they seemed like they would bend easily.
2008 Honda XR650L - (gone)
3girlsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:09 AM   #56907
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
I'm sure it's fine. I don't take passengers for rides.
It would have to be a vast improvement over stock in order to be fine. She swears she'll never go on another trail ride with me again on that bike! I've ridden out of the woods on the back of a friend's, and while it sure beat walking out, it was painful.
I have no problem with the pilot end of the stock seat.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:12 AM   #56908
guinnessextreme
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56

nice bike! is the red skid plate etc annodized or paint?
Old 03-27-2013, 09:13 AM   #56909
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,188
Quote:
It would have to be a vast improvement over stock in order to be fine. She swears she'll never go on another trail ride with me again on that bike! I've ridden out of the woods on the back of a friend's, and while it sure beat walking out, it was painful.
I have no problem with the pilot end of the stock seat.
My wife has no complaints,,and i take her on trails that we have no business being 2 up on..

Search Caledonia Gorge New Brunswick

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:17 AM   #56910
Gone14s
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girlsdad View Post
kurt - have you crash tested those handguards yet? i bought a pair of those and haven't ridden the bike with them on yet, but they seemed like they would bend easily.
I have drop the bike a couple of times and landed on the hand guards. The ends are rubber covered and do hold up very well. Of course if you go down hard enough you have to bump them back into place. But I have not bent them yet.

Kurt