Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #56911
Gone14s
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessextreme View Post

nice bike! is the red skid plate etc anodized or paint?
Yes the plate is anodized, got it on ebay of about 95.00
The oiler cooler brackets are painted.......not a bad color match.

Kurt

http://s1085.photobucket.com/albums/...900%20elefant/
Gone14s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #56912
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
My wife has no complaints,,and i take her on trails that we have no business being 2 up on.. Search Caledonia Gorge New Brunswick B
Straight on the stock seat? She must be a trooper! And/or been raiding your stash.
Looks vaguely similar to the terrain around here.
I took my wife through where GSs fear to tread. That could be the kicker.

Ever run into these guys?

New Brunswick Dual Sport Club
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:51 AM   #56913
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Straight on the stock seat? She must be a trooper! And/or been raiding your stash.
Looks vaguely similar to the terrain around here.
I took my wife through where GSs fear to tread. That could be the kicker.

Ever run into these guys?

New Brunswick Dual Sport Club

Stock seat,,no beer involved when the wifes on...she is small but my wife is not afraid,,great riding partner..

May have,bike looks familiar,,,that is taken about 1/2 way down the mountain....excellent spot cut out to stop and have a drinky....firepit......large enough to pitch a tent...really rough just off that spot when back on the actual trail the last few years..rainwater has left nothing but fist size and bigger rocks as a trail down that mountain,,and it`s freekin steep..i love that ride,but you do not stop after that pit stop..once you are going you are committed and can`t go slow...one side drops off from 1000 feet to sea level so you gotta be paying attention on those rocks..

B

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer

techforlife screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 09:58 AM
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:10 AM   #56914
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Sounds familiar. Would love to visit and ride it with you sometime!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 03-27-2013, 10:15 AM   #56915
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Sounds familiar. Would love to visit and ride it with you sometime!
It is a hard trail..but if you like a challenge it is freekin fun...seriously...nice view,large brook to dive into...an old covered bridge...it is hands down my most loved spot..i like going through it at midnight and later...i love riding at night,,cooler

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
Old 03-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #56916
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olderslowerguy View Post
I think it was Spud who suggested that your PPR setting may be incorrect. It should be set to "2". If not, that's your problem.
Thanks for helping, OSG. Page 20 of the Vapor User's Manual specifies the PPR should be set to "1." I suspect he's getting high tachometer readings because he accidently set the PPR to "2."

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #56917
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
It is a hard trail..but if you like a challenge it is freekin fun...seriously...nice view,large brook to dive into...an old covered bridge...it is hands down my most loved spot..i like going through it at midnight and later...i love riding at night,,cooler B
I'll gladly ride it during the day with you, but will have to pass on it at night.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:38 AM   #56918
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Thanks for helping, OSG. Page 20 of the Vapor User's Manual specifies the PPR should be set to "1." I suspect he's getting high tachometer readings because he accidently set the PPR to "2." - Spud
The XRL actually sparks twice per cycle, or once per revolution, due to the pickup being on the crankshaft. If you set a tach to expect 2 PPR then it will read half speed as it will consider two sparks as one revolution when in fact it's two revolutions.

If the tach is set to 1 PPR and reading high or double, then try altering the number of turns of wire around the plug wire. That inductive pickup method is subject to picking up ringing and interference.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:48 AM   #56919
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
I'll gladly ride it during the day with you, but will have to pass on it at night.
Pussy,,,cough,cough

B
Old 03-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #56920
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,600
Quote:
The XRL actually sparks twice per cycle, or once per revolution, due to the pickup being on the crankshaft. If you set a tach to expect 2 PPR then it will read half speed as it will consider two sparks as one revolution when in fact it's two revolutions.

If the tach is set to 1 PPR and reading high or double, then try altering the number of turns of wire around the plug wire. That inductive pickup method is subject to picking up ringing and interference.
You're correct. A setting of 2 PPR would indicate 1/2 of the actual engine rpms, and setting of 0.5 PPR would indicate double the actual engine rpms.

The Vapor computer isn't set for pulse-per-cycle; it is set for pulse-per-revolution. The default setting is 1 PPR. My TT Vapor is set for 1 PPR, and is working perfectly. As you stated, the XR650L employs a "wasted spark" ignition, so it also fires on the exhaust stroke as well as the compression stroke.

It's much easier, and more foolproof, to connect the tachometer input wire directly to the ignition coil, instead of using an inductive pickup. The location of the ignition coil on the XR650L makes this job very simple.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #56921
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone14s View Post
Bought the bike (95 Xr650l) about 6 months ago. She was all bone stock with 7900 miles on her and very well cared for.

I don't think I need to add all the mod's that have been done to it. They all OR most have been done as you can see in the pic's.

I would like to add a tip for the windscreen (Spit Fire) as I saw a few folks run them. I add two more mounting points to the wind screen that are attached to the headlight plastic.
I used big flat washers and flat rubber washers a 1 inch spacer and wing nuts. Just the wind screen mounts them self's would come loose on the trail or dirt riding. With the lower mounts attached to the plastic it stay's put. I have wing nut's on the back side of the plastic for quick removal of the screen. In the summer I take it off.

I'm sure there is a little to much "bling" on the bike. But the bike dose not just get rode on the street that much. It dose spend 95% of the time in the tree line as you can see.

I make a point to find the first mud hole to ride threw at the first part of the ride.
On the other hand I do like a clean bike to work on when she is not in the dirt.

Kurt
There's a 12 step program... first step... "Hi, my name is Kurt, I am a modaholic" I'd be more than happy to be your sponsor. We can both play hookie and not go to meetings. Nice bike, btw!
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:39 AM   #56922
Gone14s
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
There's a 12 step program... first step... "Hi, my name is Kurt, I am a modaholic" I'd be more than happy to be your sponsor. We can both play hookie and not go to meetings. Nice bike, btw!
Hey, I tried that program, flunked out.....

Kurt

http://s1085.photobucket.com/albums/...900%20elefant/
Gone14s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #56923
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,642
[QUOTE=Gone14s;21045236]

[QUOTE]

BTW...

The front brake hose goes INSIDE the fork leg like in the top picture.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #56924
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
You're correct. A setting of 2 PPR would indicate 1/2 of the actual engine rpms, and setting of 0.5 PPR would indicate double the actual engine rpms.

The Vapor computer isn't set for pulse-per-cycle; it is set for pulse-per-revolution. The default setting is 1 PPR. My TT Vapor is set for 1 PPR, and is working perfectly. As you stated, the XR650L employs a "wasted spark" ignition, so it also fires on the exhaust stroke as well as the compression stroke.

It's much easier, and more foolproof, to connect the tachometer input wire directly to the ignition coil, instead of using an inductive pickup. The location of the ignition coil on the XR650L makes this job very simple.

Spud
Yes and furthermore, since tachs read out in revolutions per minute, not cycles per minute, all electronic tachs "count" pulses per revolution. Certainly it is preferable to look at the coil primary signal when that's an option, although that signal is still quite fraught with ringing. They are interesting to look at. The input filter to the comparator signal must be suitable for use with the waveform. A typical problem with "settable" tachs is that the filter must be light enough for the hightest frequency expected, i.e., max RPM reading with the highest PPR. That can mean inadequate filtering of ringing for low PPR signals. It is then possible for a tach to read the ringing and "see" two or more pulses for each spark. Your tach on your bike works perfectly but it's still possible for in others of the same models to read on the ringing due to production variations. Also it is typical for a four stroke single cylinder engine to emit one pulse per two revolutions, mathematically one-half PPR, so it's possible a tach on an XRL reads double because it's set for the typical engine.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:57 AM   #56925
Ray Paul
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Laugh

Quote:
Sounds like sombody scard of the dark ! ?
Ray Paul is offline   Reply With Quote