Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 06:43 AM   #57076
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
I finally got off my lazy ass last night and got the pig ready to fire.
Over the winter...
New fork guards. The 2000 RMs had the funky under the leg brake line routing, so you have to half-ass the brake line mounting if you want to run the normal routing. The newer (2004 and up) guards use the new routing and they bolt right up to the older forks. The old guards were pretty beat up anyway, so we got a new set over the winter. My kickstarter was worn out when I got it during my engine rebuild... the joint was loose enough to allow the lever to bang on the pipe. I took a deep breath and squeezed out the cash for a BRAND NEW one (significant for a cheap ass like me!). I also finally broke down and dropped the bucks for an FMF header heat shield (before I burn a hole in something I dont want holes in)

A better picture of the finished dash.

I also stumbled into Dirt-bike-gear.com over the winter. They are out of Colorado and make some pretty decent bags. I talked the local shop into ordering a box of them

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...i`m just starting to get mine ready

Nice job Red.....the dash turned out really decent..how`d you get the hammer marks outta the dash anyway.....

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:31 AM   #57077
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...i`m just starting to get mine ready

Nice job Red.....the dash turned out really decent..how`d you get the hammer marks outta the dash anyway.....

B
Rubber mallet! I had to beat the indicator lights into place. The bad thing with the dash is that if anything doesn't fit...it is MY FAULT. I was the knucklehead with calipers and CAD. Now THAT is some scary shit!

The fun part was me trying to figure out how to wire the LED indicator light for the turn sigs. Picture a caveman when he first discovered fire. Diode... WTF is a diode???? I know now
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:51 AM   #57078
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Rubber mallet! I had to beat the indicator lights into place. The bad thing with the dash is that if anything doesn't fit...it is MY FAULT. I was the knucklehead with calipers and CAD. Now THAT is some scary shit!

The fun part was me trying to figure out how to wire the LED indicator light for the turn sigs. Picture a caveman when he first discovered fire. Diode... WTF is a diode???? I know now
Good job man,,now go have a beer

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
Old 03-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #57079
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1 View Post
The bad news is the fix is going to be a new carb.
On a 2012? I could see it if the carb has been on and off the bike a bunch but on a new(ish) bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
You've probably come to terms with the bike and don't baby it like you did when it was new. Your mileage is about what I get - and always got. Can't talk abou the top speed, but I'm not comfortable going much over 75 on mine either.

RZ Rob
That's some pretty serious gagging of the throttle to get the mileage down in the mid 30's...
I'm no slouch when riding mine and I get around 44mpg all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFriendofMissouri View Post
warranty expired last month

ok, maybe just a little
Did you try the test Ben mentioned? I can't see a 2012 carb needing to be replaced. I've never heard of any defects like this either so...
You sure you cleaned the carb good and got it mounted on the boots correctly?

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:15 AM   #57080
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,601
J.C. Whitney is once again selling travel trunks! They are now called Garage Pro Travel Trunks. The large travel trunk is on sale for $44.95, with free delivery, if you order before Tuesday! In addition, you can get another 10 percent off the price by using the promo code "zoom10."

http://www.jcwhitney.com/garage-pro-...58683y1989u0j1

My J.C. Whitney Travel Trunk has taken a lot of abuse for several years. I like it so much, I bought a spare when they were on sale for $48, delivered. At a price of $40.46, delivered, this travel trunk is an exceptional bargain!

These travel trunks come supplied with a very strong, metal mounting plate. The plastic mounting plates on some other trunks will fail.

You can pack a lot of stuff in the large travel trunks, and they are very easy to remove for the evening, or for hiding in the brush while taking an impromptu, off road excursion.

These travel trunks are very handy when taking a multi-day trip.

These travel trunks are also quite handy for grocery shopping, or running other errands around town.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:24 AM   #57081
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Cycra Handguards

So...a few years ago me and Steve ordered some Cycrsa ProBend CRM hanguards from an ebay seller......we almost got screwed on the deal and almost did not get our guards...We finally got them..i installed mine and they worked great...

Fast forward a few thousand miles and some get offs....and i found an issue with these guards.....

The hardware..........

Is made in such a way.. that if you drop the bike.. the hardware allows the handguard to push into the throttle side of the handlebar jamming the throttle tube end so it rotates hard..you can cut the end off the throttle tube so this can`t happen,,but looks like shit and dirt quickly packs in there....

So after looking arround i found these inserts from Acerbis...

These are really well designed with a shoulder on the hardware that touches on the end of the bar so it cannot slide in when the bike takes a nap...also since it sits out of the bar farther it moves the handguard out farther so you do not have to cut the balls off the levers...

I didn`t cut them off when i first installed the guards,,i slid all the controls in farther and the lever ends just cleared,,,now there is a ton of room now...really fit sweet..

I took a dremel with a drum sander attachment and opened up the grip ends just enough so the new inserts just fit in,,definately looks better too..

B

techforlife screwed with this post 03-30-2013 at 11:41 AM
Old 03-30-2013, 11:39 AM   #57082
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post

Spud
Old 03-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #57083
mhking
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
hey onaxr i just made a rack for my bike and have a few ammo cans sittin around. i was wonderin how you mounted yours? i dont mean to steal you idea but its cheep and genius. if you wont mind sharin your idea id appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onaXR View Post
Show yourselfs. Heres mine with a flat about 150 miles from home.
2000 model 4.whatever Clarke tank, custom windshield, chain guard, disk guard, heated grips, custom rack, mini boxes, twin air filter, pirelli mt 90s. Soon small taillight, smog removal, W-B e series, daves carb mods.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:27 PM   #57084
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhking View Post
hey onaxr i just made a rack for my bike and have a few ammo cans sittin around. i was wonderin how you mounted yours? i dont mean to steal you idea but its cheep and genius. if you wont mind sharin your idea id appreciate it.
Wow, taking it way back.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:33 PM   #57085
mhking
Adventurer

tank decal

t so i finaly got the sheet i orderd from AMR RACING for my acribis tank. does anyone know of a good way to put holes in these sheets without sitting around for 2 hours with somethin like a needle so it doesnt bubble?
Old 03-30-2013, 12:35 PM   #57086
mhking
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Wow, taking it way back.
i didnt know where else to get the pic from.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:55 PM   #57087
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post

B
Thanks for the tip tech! I'm hanging on to this idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post

Upgrade? rebuild? modifying?
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:15 PM   #57088
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

[QUOTE=KyoXR;21069993]Thanks for the tip tech! I'm hanging on to this idea

Upgrade? rebuild? modifying?[/QUOTE]

i`d go with YUP on all three

B
Old 03-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #57089
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,302
Neutral Safety

It seems like my bike used to start when in gear as long as the clutch was in. The safeties took a dump on me last fall and the bike wouldnt start unless the sidestand was up. Real PITA. Anyway... over the winter I connected the two wires coming out of the clutch lever assembly and ran them to ground. The bike will now start with the sidestand down, but must be in neutral to start. WTF? Am I remembering wrong? I coulda swore that it used to start in gear.
Having to shift into N to start the beast on the trail can be a serious pain in the rear. Like today when I trying to push uphill through 18 inches of snow... with a broken front brake lever no less. Get stalled... bikes in gear... cant start it... grab the front brake... SHIT!... no joy... rear brake... shift into N by hand while keeping the rear brake on to keep from rolling...

So... how do I disable the damned neutral safety?
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:34 PM   #57090
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,178
Quote:
It seems like my bike used to start when in gear as long as the clutch was in. The safeties took a dump on me last fall and the bike wouldnt start unless the sidestand was up. Real PITA. Anyway... over the winter I connected the two wires coming out of the clutch lever assembly and ran them to ground. The bike will now start with the sidestand down, but must be in neutral to start. WTF? Am I remembering wrong? I coulda swore that it used to start in gear.
Having to shift into N to start the beast on the trail can be a serious pain in the rear. Like today when I trying to push uphill through 18 inches of snow... with a broken front brake lever no less. Get stalled... bikes in gear... cant start it... grab the front brake... SHIT!... no joy... rear brake... shift into N by hand while keeping the rear brake on to keep from rolling...

So... how do I disable the damned neutral safety?

To disable ALL the safety switches, run the G/W coming out of the CDI to a ground and the neutral safety wire, the G/R that comes up with the alternator wires, to a ground also. All done.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote