Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 09:18 AM   #57136
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Ammo Cans

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhking View Post
hey onaxr i just made a rack for my bike and have a few ammo cans sittin around. i was wonderin how you mounted yours? i dont mean to steal you idea but its cheep and genius. if you wont mind sharin your idea id appreciate it.
Not sure if anyone is going to chime in on this one, so I'll give it a go. If you're thinking of using the big ammo cans (say 40mm gernade cans) like the ones pictured below, I would recomend against it.

I was all about it at first. I had a bunch lying around from my time in the military; they were free and cool looking. And then I broke my luggage rack a few times because the damn things weigh 22 pounds apiece EMPTY! Still, if you make your rack strong enough, reinforce the subframe, and are willing to sacrifice a little speed and power, go for it.

If, however, you want to use something smaller like a .50 cal can or maybe a 7.62mm can, you'd probably be fine. How you mount them depends on how you made your rack. For example, I wanted to put a .50 cal can on my harley. I welded a small bracket on the backside of the can to reinforce it (forgive the shoddy welding; I hadn't touched a welder in 10 years when I did this and I decided to do it with gas):

Then I just drilled some holes through the bracket and the can that matched up with the subframe/fender holes and a hole on my sissy bar bracket, got some longer bolts and a bunch of washers, and slapped it all together.

Hope that gives you some ideas. Really, it all depends on how you made your rack.
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:59 AM   #57137
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
I got my new tool tube dirty! Here's how it looked when it was clean.

Spud
Spud, I'm digging the tool tube! Glad to see I'm not the only one. When did you put that on?
Old 03-31-2013, 10:06 AM   #57138
Hazman27
The Haz

Oddometer: 653
Steel panniers

I too would recommend not using them, any size. When my Pig needs to take a nap, I do not want my leg pinned under a steel, unforgiving bear trap! Think about a two track trail, or a single track where a tree might reach out and grab your box, (I've probably never done a 180' so fast.) I'm not starting a pissing match, steel vs. fabric but...
Hazman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:12 AM   #57139
Lane_N
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 87
I crashed my bike in a snow drift yesterday too. Such nice weather, but still a few weeks away from having passable trails in my corner of the world. People are still riding snowmobiles in the high country here.

I took this picture just where it was starting to get muddy. I didn't touch my camera again after I got slathered in mud.

Lane_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:15 AM   #57140
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,102
Anyone goon to order those LED PCM units off eBay? I need a handful. Add it to your order and ill gladly pay a little extra for the brokerage.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:22 AM   #57141
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,454
Flashlight?

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:24 AM   #57142
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
anyone goon to order those led pcm units off ebay? I need a handful. Add it to your order and ill gladly pay a little extra for the brokerage.

call me

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:25 AM   #57143
my6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lane_N View Post
I crashed my bike in a snow drift yesterday too. Such nice weather, but still a few weeks away from having passable trails in my corner of the world. People are still riding snowmobiles in the high country here.

I took this picture just where it was starting to get muddy. I didn't touch my camera again after I got slathered in mud.

Lane...How are you liking the HWDB's? I'll be ordering mine next week.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:27 AM   #57144
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,450
Gone in 60 Seconds

Still have my farkled new XRL, but sold this one yesterday. It sold quickly. I was the best deal on Craigslist with respect to mods/miles/years/price.

RZ Rob

RZRob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:40 AM   #57145
mhking
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
Not sure if anyone is going to chime in on this one, so I'll give it a go. If you're thinking of using the big ammo cans (say 40mm gernade cans) like the ones pictured below, I would recomend against it.

I was all about it at first. I had a bunch lying around from my time in the military; they were free and cool looking. And then I broke my luggage rack a few times because the damn things weigh 22 pounds apiece EMPTY! Still, if you make your rack strong enough, reinforce the subframe, and are willing to sacrifice a little speed and power, go for it.

If, however, you want to use something smaller like a .50 cal can or maybe a 7.62mm can, you'd probably be fine. How you mount them depends on how you made your rack. For example, I wanted to put a .50 cal can on my harley. I welded a small bracket on the backside of the can to reinforce it (forgive the shoddy welding; I hadn't touched a welder in 10 years when I did this and I decided to do it with gas):

Then I just drilled some holes through the bracket and the can that matched up with the subframe/fender holes and a hole on my sissy bar bracket, got some longer bolts and a bunch of washers, and slapped it all together.

Hope that gives you some ideas. Really, it all depends on how you made your rack.
thanks for the info i just took a rack off of a 70s 2stroke suzi 125 and welded that onto a bracket ill put pics up when i get em but thanks for the ideas im putin the 50 cal cans on so well see what happens
Old 03-31-2013, 10:55 AM   #57146
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazman27 View Post
I too would recommend not using them, any size. When my Pig needs to take a nap, I do not want my leg pinned under a steel, unforgiving bear trap! Think about a two track trail, or a single track where a tree might reach out and grab your box, (I've probably never done a 180' so fast.) I'm not starting a pissing match, steel vs. fabric but...
I don't know man; I went down hard on the pavement in Guatemala and those big steel ammocans saved my leg from getting crushed under the bike.

Then I got hit by a car in Peru and my panniers saved my leg from getting crushed between the bumper and the bike. I had switched to Pelicans at that point, but it's the same idea.

I agree with you on the offroad part though. Definetly prefer soft bags for that. But a little .50 can? I don't think that's too bad of an idea if you're just looking for a little bit of secure storage.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:00 AM   #57147
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhking View Post
thanks for the info i just took a rack off of a 70s 2stroke suzi 125 and welded that onto a bracket ill put pics up when i get em but thanks for the ideas im putin the 50 cal cans on so well see what happens
Cool! I'm interested to see how you tackle this!
Old 03-31-2013, 11:02 AM   #57148
Lane_N
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by my6 View Post
Lane...How are you liking the HWDB's? I'll be ordering mine next week.
They are really good handguards. I've crashed hard a few times not so hard a bunch of times, no broken controls or other damage other than a few scratches on the plastics.

These are tough handguards, I'd buy them again. The mirrors work, but not as well as the stock ones. I really like being able to fold them up offroad which the stickers don't do.
Lane_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:04 AM   #57149
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
J.C. Whitney is once again selling travel trunks! At a price of $40.46, delivered, this travel trunk is an exceptional bargain!
Spud
You sold me! I ordered one. I have liked the smaller one that was given to me and sometimes I wished I had the larger trunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Was the rejetting done around the same time as your mileage drop? Is the airfilter clogged? Also look in your owners manual about blowing the carbon out of the spark arrester , if you have the stock muffler.
After I got my bike I went to do the muffler carbon clean out deal(whatever its called), removing the two plates, and the bolts stripped while removing them.
Nothing came out of the two holes while operating the throttle and the plates have been welded on ever since.
I do have an extra muffler but was thinking of rigging it to my Honda generator.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:14 AM   #57150
my6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Which Top Clamp did you go with?