User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 07:55 AM   #57331
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,059
Fritz,

I believe you overlooked heated grip controllers.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:58 AM   #57332
Boojum
I Miss the PartyBoss

Oddometer: 5,934
Steve, how is your project coming along out there????
Boojum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:14 AM   #57333
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
You forgot guns and illegal riding areas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Fritz, I believe you overlooked heated grip controllers.
Tires and tire pressures can do it, too.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:18 AM   #57334
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
I think your feelings are supposed to be hurt when someone TELLS you theyre putting you on ignore instead of just doing it. ...
Well it's still early. Might be denial. Perhaps I'll remember tonight so I can properly cry myself to sleep.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 04-04-2013, 08:23 AM   #57335
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Well it's still early. Might be denial. Perhaps I'll remember tonight so I can properly cry myself to sleep.
Youll have to cry yourself to sleep. How can you count sheep with no fingers?
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:30 AM   #57336
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Youll have to cry yourself to sleep. How can you count sheep with no fingers?
You have to have a good imagination! Nub one, nub two...
Yep, I am one piece of dumb luck away from a catastrophe. No clue how to balance risk vs. adventure.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:34 AM   #57337
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
You have to have a good imagination! Nub one, nub two...
Yep, I am one piece of dumb luck away from a catastrophe. No clue how to balance risk vs. adventure.
We should all just lock ourselves in the house for our own good.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:45 AM   #57338
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojum View Post
I've got my eye on an FCR 41 Pumper carb for the XRL. Who else is running this carb? How easy is it to jet, and how do you like the streetability and performance of the carb? Was it a straight bolt up application? or was there some work to do to make it mount up with the stock intake, and airbox? Thanks for your thoughts this morning.......

Also: Are you using a choke, or does the enricher on the carb work well enough on initial start up??

Boojum
It takes an adapter to mount up to the airbox boot. Cables are interchangeable. The jetting recipe has pretty much been figured out. You can even use your stock choke lever if you use a CRF hotstart cable. As far as performance goes, I like mine. It was a definite improvement over the OEM CV carb. No problems with streetability (wheelies aren't a problem are they?)
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #57339
Boojum
I Miss the PartyBoss

Oddometer: 5,934
They (place of purchase) told me my stock cables would NOT work on the Keihin FCR, but it would come with adaptors for the airbox. They also want to charge me 50-60 bucks extra for 4" longer Motion Pro Carb Cables.......
Next winter I hope to take down the motor and do a higher comp. piston, and some head work......

Boojum
Boojum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #57340
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
It takes an adapter to mount up to the airbox boot. Cables are interchangeable. The jetting recipe has pretty much been figured out. You can even use your stock choke lever if you use a CRF hotstart cable. As far as performance goes, I like mine. It was a definite improvement over the OEM CV carb. No problems with streetability (wheelies aren't a problem are they?)
Unless you pick one up cheap with the adapter already included..

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #57341
Deliverator
not a replicant

Oddometer: 78
Drive chains and risk assessment/management

Gentlemen,

When I was a boy I filled a CO2 cartridge with paper match heads with the intention of launching it as a rocket, as had been described to me by knowledgeable and experienced others. Instead, it exploded in a pure white ball while I was at a safe distance. An unexpected but very cool outcome I thought.

I described it in that fashion to my hunting and trapping buddy, a guy who intended make a living with his hands. I told him to be careful. I learned the next morning that he had blown his hand off in his garage.

You guys know your stuff inside and out and this forum is completely awesome. I am a NOOB and I look to you guys for the benefit of your experience and skill. I can't tell you the all the stuff I have done to my bike in complete faith in what you tell me. You are a great help to me.

I want to tell you that have never forgiven myself for what happened to my friend.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:14 AM   #57342
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojum View Post
They (place of purchase) told me my stock cables would NOT work on the Keihin FCR, but it would come with adaptors for the airbox. They also want to charge me 50-60 bucks extra for 4" longer Motion Pro Carb Cables.......
Next winter I hope to take down the motor and do a higher comp. piston, and some head work......

Boojum
I assumed (I know...) that you were looking at an FCR-MX off of a CRF450 (a very common approach). So... let me take a mulligan.
If your getting an FCR-MX from a CRF, the cables will work. If it is off of another bike or perhaps an aftermarket one from Sudco, the cables may not work. I haven't messed with an FCR from anything but a CRF (hope to really soon though) so I can't say for sure.

So... do you know the history of the carb?
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #57343
duckrogers666
Formerly Flying Cow

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
So you have gotten lucky all of these years. Years of practice and good fortune does not make you wise. There is a practice called risk assessment. You ask yourself what could go wrong, what is the likelihood of something going wrong and how catastrophic will it be if it does go wrong. In this case, it is a bell ringer.

The first mention of anyone being an idiot was in your post. I could comment to your ability to read, comprehend and have a rational, intelligent conversation, but that ship just sailed. Just for practice; if you would like to try a little reading comprehension exercise, go back and review my post and see if you manage to engage your mammoth ego when reading it.

Oh... News flash: I am not your amigo, but you are the newest member of the ignore list. Feel free to carry this conversation with yourself.
+++++1

"...listen mister, you better not forget what you don't know!" ex-girlfriend
duckrogers666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #57344
sportbiker929
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165

95 XR650L, Mikuni Pumper, Yosh, Baja Designs race Light, Pro tapers, Cycra Pro Bends, Magura 1/4 turn, Pirelli MT90s.
sportbiker929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #57345
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,074
vefry nice man! loving the headlight
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote