Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 05:42 AM   #57376
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,294
At the risk of being misinterpreted once again, and hoping those who are less inclined to make an attempt to understand are in ignore mode - when it comes to following advice blindly, I firmly believe that lemmings should get what lemmings deserve.

I grew up in an era where the mantra was "buyer beware" and to take advice at your own risk. If you did something stupid and messed yourself up, no matter who or what you thought you were imitating, it was your own bad. And no, the commmercials didn't have to tell you not to attempt this at home. The do-gooders hadn't initiated their idiot protection program yet.

You didn't have to worry about the ramifications to you of some idiot tackling something they percieved you doing and then pinning the blame on you.

But, sadly, times have changed. We have "evolved" to a "higher level" of society in which idiocy is rewarded. Congratulations, by the way. You burn yourself and someone else pays. Great system.

I realize there's almost an undetectable difference, to readers these days, between explaining what one does and suggesting others try it, so to clear this up once and for all:

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT attempt to lubricate, or work on in any way, a moving chain.

To do this successfully requires a highly adept professional such as the two of us who grew up doing it and have many years of practice under condtions we carefully controlled. Please don't make the mistake of thinking you can handle it just because a couple of others make it look like buttering bread.

You are not willing to learn the hard way, nor take the necessary risks and associated personal responsibility to do so; therefore, don't step out on a limb by operating outside your limits then make life difficult for the rest of us by blaming others for your damages when you mess up trying to imitate what you see, hear about, or read about them doing.

And if you think that means parking the bike, please do so.

I apologize, but production of the forthcoming video showing how I oil my chain will be cancelled.

Catch you on the trail. Safely, of course.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:46 AM   #57377
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford99_1979 View Post
... Rode dirt bikes for years in my youth and early teens. Took almost 20 year hiatus and I'M BACK! And pumped. ...

Welcome to the club. Looks fantastic. The only thing I question is you taste in beer. (or lack thereof)
I also have pics the kids made when they were little.
Where do you hail from?
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 04-05-2013, 06:11 AM   #57378
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,326
Quote:
Here is my newly acquired 2005 XR650L with 11,000km. Bike is in good shape and runs fine. Lots of parts ordered and arrived and finally got time to turn wrenches. Few little things left to do, but who am I kidding there will always be something else to do.

Background - Rode dirt bikes for years in my youth and early teens. Took almost 20 year hiatus and I'M BACK! And pumped. This bike will serve as alternate commuter and I plan to join the local dual sport group on rides.

Here it is before.

The parts pile

After.

Nice bike! Not to be a wet blanket, but be advised that the shroud on your headlight will fade to almost pink over the next year or so. I ended up covering mine.
ThumpnRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:16 AM   #57379
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Does anyone else running a CRF front fender have problems with dirty road water/mud getting flung up onto your face while riding?

I might have to go back to my old front fender, which is a bit longer, but flimsier and uglier...
What's mud ? It's been too dry here. Last time I rode in rain I didn't recall that the front fender was giving me issues. I did space mine down like Kenny61 mentioned for better clearance at the back. Can't imagine a 1/4 " or so making that much of a difference but maybe so?
Old 04-05-2013, 07:28 AM   #57380
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhitmore44 View Post
What's mud ? It's been too dry here. Last time I rode in rain I didn't recall that the front fender was giving me issues. I did space mine down like Kenny61 mentioned for better clearance at the back. Can't imagine a 1/4 " or so making that much of a difference but maybe so?
I already have it spaced down so it won't rub in back. It isn't REALLY bad, but having flecks of mud all over your visor gets annoying quickly.

I might see if I can rig up some sort of brace for my other, longer Acerbis fender that was on there. It looks better than the stock fender but still floppy.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #57381
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Does anyone else running a CRF front fender have problems with dirty road water/mud getting flung up onto your face while riding?

I might have to go back to my old front fender, which is a bit longer, but flimsier and uglier...
I had a smaller front fender on for awhile. Getting dirt and mud flung into my face made me put the stocker back on real quick.
In this instance size DOES matter.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:16 AM   #57382
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
Nice bike! Not to be a wet blanket, but be advised that the shroud on your headlight will fade to almost pink over the next year or so.
OMG I couldn't live like that
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:09 AM   #57383
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pngaudioguy View Post
I think this gentleman's comment sums up why the drama over the oiling chain with engine idling / using engine to turn while oiling. Sure, you may have a method that works, and you're comfortable with it; but given the number of accidents there have been over the years using this method it seems unwise to recommend it to someone less comfortable with their mechanical ability.

I know that Deliverator is not the only one who follows advice from folks on this forum, often beyond our technical knowledge, and I would hate to hear about a fresh mangling occurrence based on advice someone read on here. Please keep in mind we're not all full-time mechanics like several of you are as you provide advice on how to do things.

Me - I'm just dying for the weather to get above freezing over here so I can get out and ride. Finally picked up a GoPro, so I'll try and find some worthy landscape here in Belgium to share with you guys. It's mostly flat, but there's plenty of good mud to be found!
Great post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
At the risk of being misinterpreted once again, and hoping those who are less inclined to make an attempt to understand are in ignore mode - when it comes to following advice blindly, I firmly believe that lemmings should get what lemmings deserve.

There's only one way TO interpret this post. You're better than us. Lemmings? So the rest of the posters here are lemmings? You're an ass.
This forum is for folks sharing ideas and helping others work on their bikes. If you can't add anything positive STFU. If you can't acknowledge this can be dangerous, could loose a finger or two, then you are in denial...Oh wait, you're too busy crying about the litigious nature of the country than over a simple chain oiling issue. You should go down and hang out in CS&M. They'll love you!
If you consider the less skilled owners as lemmings then you have no business on here. Why mingle with the lemmings anyway? To prove your superior talents? I've got news for ya, you're not impressing anyone.

I grew up in an era where the mantra was "buyer beware" and to take advice at your own risk. If you did something stupid and messed yourself up, no matter who or what you thought you were imitating, it was your own bad. And no, the commmercials didn't have to tell you not to attempt this at home. The do-gooders hadn't initiated their idiot protection program yet.

When I was a youngun...

You didn't have to worry about the ramifications to you of some idiot tackling something they percieved you doing and then pinning the blame on you.

But, sadly, times have changed. We have "evolved" to a "higher level" of society in which idiocy is rewarded. Congratulations, by the way. You burn yourself and someone else pays. Great system.

That has NO bearing on the discussion at hand. Take your BS rant to CS&M!

I realize there's almost an undetectable difference, to readers these days, between explaining what one does and suggesting others try it, so to clear this up once and for all:

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT attempt to lubricate, or work on in any way, a moving chain.

To do this successfully requires a highly adept professional such as the two of us who grew up doing it and have many years of practice under condtions we carefully controlled.

Highly adept professionals? To oil a chain?

Please don't make the mistake of thinking you can handle it just because a couple of others make it look like buttering bread.

You are not willing to learn the hard way, nor take the necessary risks and associated personal responsibility to do so; therefore, don't step out on a limb by operating outside your limits then make life difficult for the rest of us by blaming others for your damages when you mess up trying to imitate what you see, hear about, or read about them doing.

What's this "hard way" you speak of? Loosing a finger or two? There's more than your way to oil a chain. You can't agree that oiling the chain with the engine off is just as easy as your way?

And if you think that means parking the bike, please do so.

Can you say pretentious?

I apologize, but production of the forthcoming video showing how I oil my chain will be cancelled.

Catch you on the trail. Safely, of course.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. You can't make this shit up.

Bottom line...

You do it your way and the rest will do it their way, whatever way that may be.

Personally I agree with Red. If someone feels a procedure isn't safe or has more risks then I would hope they post their stance on the issue so others can make an informed decision after hearing BOTH sides of the argument.

I also don't agree with the oil check procedure right before the ride(like you do OnO) but I'm not going to belittle you for doing it that way.

Different strokes...

Old 04-05-2013, 09:33 AM   #57384
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,611
Quote:

You did an excellent job; your bike looks great!

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #57385
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Great post!

The more things change, the more they stay the same. You can't make this shit up.

Bottom line...

You do it your way and the rest will do it their way, whatever way that may be.

Personally I agree with Red. If someone feels a procedure isn't safe or has more risks then I would hope they post their stance on the issue so others can make an informed decision after hearing BOTH sides of the argument.

I also don't agree with the oil check procedure right before the ride(like you do OnO) but I'm not going to belittle you for doing it that way.

Different strokes...
It looks like there has been quite a one-way conversation going on.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #57386
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Great post! ..Bottom line... You do it your way and the rest will do it their way, whatever way that may be. Personally I agree with Red. If someone feels a procedure isn't safe or has more risks then I would hope they post their stance on the issue so others can make an informed decision after hearing BOTH sides of the argument. Different strokes...
Right on, Bob. Glad to see you agree. (once getting over the moments) We're all on the same page after all.

Looks like we got some good weather waiting in the wings...
Old 04-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #57387
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Good call. Sometimes it's best to play the Ostrich. I should learn how. Just beware the snow.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #57388
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
OMG I couldn't live like that
Not a fan of suburbia? My little quarter acre of heaven
Old 04-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #57389
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
More like

See what you did there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Right on, Bob. Glad to see you agree. (once getting over the moments) We're all on the same page after all.

Looks like we got some good weather waiting in the wings...
Agree?

Nice weather? It's been good riding weather.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #57390
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
... It's been good riding weather.

Yesterday evening with the snow and sleet was tops.