Old 04-27-2013, 04:01 PM   #58006
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
I'm selling my Moose Expedition rack.

$120obo shipped!

I have PayPal but would rather not dick around with them/that. I sold a windscreen to beechum1 awhile back and he actually preferred to use a postal money order. Hes not too fond of pay pal too. Works for me! I got my cash and he got the windscreen.
If you have any doubts about my trustworthiness maybe Jeremy can vouch for me...that is if hes not too busy in San Felipe.
I'm not

Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:16 PM   #58007
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Any us XRL riders aren't cheap?

We probably spend more on beer, judging by the conversation on this thread...

I'm enjoying a Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale right now! Delicious!
We're probably the second cheapest, but I would like to think we're a distant second the the KLR guys? Anyone know any good KLR jokes?
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:22 PM   #58008
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwombat View Post
HOLY FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU......

With the Mikuni HSR45, I'm on a 20 pilot jet and 145 main and still way too rich (I'm getting an AFR of 10:1 when I'm on the main jet) and that thing hauls ass. I'm at 8500' elevation, using the OEM paper air filter and Cyclewizard modified OEM muffler. Now I'm going to start playing with air filters and mufflers, maybe drop the needle a bit.

Cyclewizard, you built an awesome motor, thanks.

That NX 5th gear is nice and tall, feels like I could go 205. I think I'll go to a 48T rear sprocket and have nice low gearing for technical stuff.

Wow I'm still amped up from that ride and knowing that it's going to be faster when it's tuned right.
That's the news I like to hearKeep the HSR jetting coming. Steve and I will at least be in the ball park. What are you getting your AFR with? I wish there were a little bungle with blue tooth and I could use my iPhone. FW, can you remind me what comprised your build?

FWIW, I went with a 48 in the rear because that's all ironman makes. Had they made a 47 I would have done that. That Euro Nx fifth does take some power to pull it. I don't think a stock bike even would without a lower final ratio.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:08 PM   #58009
flyingwombat
frozen dead guy

Oddometer: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
That's the news I like to hearKeep the HSR jetting coming. Steve and I will at least be in the ball park. What are you getting your AFR with? I wish there were a little bungle with blue tooth and I could use my iPhone. FW, can you remind me what comprised your build?

FWIW, I went with a 48 in the rear because that's all ironman makes. Had they made a 47 I would have done that. That Euro Nx fifth does take some power to pull it. I don't think a stock bike even would without a lower final ratio.

I have an AEM wideband kit.

and a 45T Ironman...

The engine is a 724 at 10.5:1 compression, cloverleaf head and huge cam.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:11 PM   #58010
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Any problems with detonation? What fuel have you tried? I have the same set-up, but it's a 750. I have had problems with detonation (when I run higher octane fuel it RIPS) and have had a bit more taken out of the clover leaf, but I have not tried the new head or the HSR45 yet. Once I get the head back (it's done) and come up for air I will. I am hoping the carb. helps. Also, a bigger bore never helps with detonation. A small bore like a 125 can run way more compression. Detonation is a race between heat and combustion and righ now heat is winning

I have an engineering friend who builds designs plants whose expertise is in combustion. He used to be a motorcycle engine building junkie (super bike motors mostly) until he got crazy into guns (there's combustion there too). His understanding of IC engines is on a different plane than anybody I have ever met–by margins. He thinks the BIG problem with detonation on our modified bikes is the fact that the ignition timing/curve is designed for the stock 8.3 :1 compression ratio. With a higher compression ratio you get a quicker burn, so you don't need the same ignition advancement. Having it just just creates early heat that soon causes the mixture to go boom before combustion is finished. So...what we really need is a way to be able to adjust the ignition timing. Anybody go any great ideas?
Old 04-27-2013, 09:32 PM   #58011
super samurai
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olderslowerguy View Post

nice! are those the cree lights from ebay? i bought the smaller ones for my bike and like them but thought about these also.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #58012
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,130
Surely we have enough knowledge here to take existing power commanders an make them work......
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:50 PM   #58013
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,287
Piggie got new knobs today It is always good to remind myself once in a while how much I HATE mounting new tires It wasn't quite sunny enough today to get the new tire good and warm, so I had to muscle the SOB onto the rim. Only one bloody knuckle. My old soldier vocabulary got a really good work out though
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:56 PM   #58014
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,193
That back tire looks beefy. 130 606? I'm dreading changing mine as my bike (like yours) is so fresh and unhammered. My old one was a tad rougher so I didn't stress over gouging away.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:02 PM   #58015
dramatime
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
the must have mod

Just bought my xrl a few weeks back and felt the dullness off throttle. Looked around to see how to improve performance and bit on the crf carb mod. I bought a crf 450 carb installed it now Im just holding on to those grips for dear life. Its an all around improvement. If you don't have it on your xrl then your bike is inferior.
dramatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:12 PM   #58016
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
That back tire looks beefy. 130 606? I'm dreading changing mine as my bike (like yours) is so fresh and unhammered. My old one was a tad rougher so I didn't stress over gouging away.

RZ Rob
I decided to try an MT21 in 130. Cycle Gear had a 606 and the MT21 both on the rack. I have done 606's before, but have yet to try an MT21 rear. Here goes...

My rear rim is scratched to shit! The PO clearly had little to no finesse when it comes to mounting tires. The rim looks like he used flat bladed screwdrivers and a hammer to change tires. Not much I can do to make it look worse
Old 04-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #58017
dramatime
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Now that I saw the pics of thumpnreds bike I feel I have more than just a carb mod to work on. Sweet bike red.
dramatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:19 PM   #58018
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
My rear rim is scratched to shit! The PO clearly had little to no finesse when it comes to mounting tires. The rim looks like he used flat bladed screwdrivers and a hammer to change tires. Not much I can do to make it look worse
Sounds like you got the rims off my old bike.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:20 PM   #58019
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramatime View Post
Now that I saw the pics of thumpnreds bike I feel I have more than just a carb mod to work on. Sweet bike red.
Thanks.

Tinkering on this bike has turned into a disease! My advice... walk, no... run away NOW You have been warned
Old 04-27-2013, 10:23 PM   #58020
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
Sounds like you got the rims off my old bike.

RZ Rob
Same rocket scientist who welded the countersprocket onto the shaft... I shouldnt be surprised by any ham-fisted fuck-ups that I find on my bike. At least I have now had every single part and piece on the bike apart, so there should be no more surprises