Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 10:31 PM   #58021
flyingwombat
frozen dead guy

Oddometer: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
Any problems with detonation? What fuel have you tried?

Not at all but I was running Sunoco 104 unleaded. I will be dialing that back and hopefully will be able to run 91 up here at 8500'.

Some of the guys running the 2-stroke KTM 300's around here have good luck with Slaven's "high altitude" head and thinner base gasket... higher compression but still works at high altitude on normal pump gas. It basically restores sea-level power. So I think the 91 might work in the CW motor (in the mountains).
Old 04-27-2013, 10:38 PM   #58022
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 23,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
Piggie got new knobs today It is always good to remind myself once in a while how much I HATE mounting new tires It wasn't quite sunny enough today to get the new tire good and warm, so I had to muscle the SOB onto the rim. Only one bloody knuckle. My old soldier vocabulary got a really good work out though

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ting-Lube.aspx

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:15 PM   #58023
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Piggie got new knobs today It is always good to remind myself once in a while how much I HATE mounting new tires It wasn't quite sunny enough today to get the new tire good and warm, so I had to muscle the SOB onto the rim. Only one bloody knuckle. My old soldier vocabulary got a really good work out though
She always looks good, but she looks extra tight in her new treads
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:19 PM   #58024
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwombat View Post
Not at all but I was running Sunoco 104 unleaded. I will be dialing that back and hopefully will be able to run 91 up here at 8500'.

Some of the guys running the 2-stroke KTM 300's around here have good luck with Slaven's "high altitude" head and thinner base gasket... higher compression but still works at high altitude on normal pump gas. It basically restores sea-level power. So I think the 91 might work in the CW motor (in the mountains).
Keep me informed. Too bad that shit didn't come out of the pumps everywhere. Then we could make some real ponies! Hell, my old turbo cars would have been easy to squeeze the power out of...turn up the boost!
Old 04-28-2013, 01:06 AM   #58025
ford99_1979
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Bike is back together

Thumpnred. Your Bike looks good. I just went through my own tire mounting frustrations. The front went ok. Putting that 140/80 18 Mefo Super Explorer on the rear was a pain. I had to modify the tab on the swing arm that the chain guard slides onto due to the width of the tire.

I had a cycle works seat cover put on by an upholsterer with 1/4" of new super firm High Density foam layed on top of the stock foam. Also had some flat black vinyl put on the side plastics. Happy with the results.

Went from this about a month ago

To This

Now it's time to use it, instead of just working on it.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:28 AM   #58026
Olderslowerguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by super samurai View Post
nice! are those the cree lights from ebay? i bought the smaller ones for my bike and like them but thought about these also.
Yes, they are the Cree lights....sourced some off road lights from a local off-road truck store and they wanted more for one light than I paid for both of these. These are 10W each, but totally surprised at the amount of light they put out, really too bright for the street. And since the are only 10W each, bike voltage only dropped about .3V at idle with both on. I'm happy with the results, and have about $75.00 invested.

Olderslowerguy screwed with this post 04-28-2013 at 07:26 AM
Olderslowerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:37 AM   #58027
my6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford99_1979 View Post
Thumpnred. Your Bike looks good. I just went through my own tire mounting frustrations. The front went ok. Putting that 140/80 18 Mefo Super Explorer on the rear was a pain. I had to modify the tab on the swing arm that the chain guard slides onto due to the width of the tire.

I had a cycle works seat cover put on by an upholsterer with 1/4" of new super firm High Density foam layed on top of the stock foam. Also had some flat black vinyl put on the side plastics. Happy with the results.

To This

How are you liking that Vance and Hines?
Old 04-28-2013, 07:18 AM   #58028
ford99_1979
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by my6 View Post
How are you liking that Vance and Hines?
Too soon to report. Initial impressions are good though. Appears to be well made, nice welds, fit and finish. Only exception was the factory clamp connecting the mid pipe to the head pipe doesn't fit. Stock pipe is 2-3 layers of metal making the diameter larger and clamp fits. Vance and Hines mid pipe is single layer of metal, therefor smaller diameter and clamp doesn't go that small. To solve this, I used what I had on hand which was wrapped many many layers of aluminum tape to build up the diameter of the mid pipe so the OEM clamp would actually clamp down on it.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:43 AM   #58029
Redclayrider
Long time gone

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
For mounting tires, try this;

Breaks the bead very easily. The shape of the spoon makes dis-mounting/mounting the tire easy peasy, cheezy wheezy. Light weight aluminium. Bought my first pair for the pig in January 2013, bought a second pair for my H-D XR1200 tail pack 2 weeks later after I tried them out changing the back tire on the H-D. Spooned a set of nobbies on the pig in Feb. Easy tire change ever. Best set of tire irons I have ever used. Only downside is the price, around $70.00 USD.

I wrote a review of them on another site here;
http://bamarides.com/ride/tech-talk/...msg184312/#top

And no, Motion Pro did not pay me for the review.
Redclayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:32 AM   #58030
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

So you can use the Motion Pro to help mount too? I was under the impression they just broke the bead. Cheap they aren't but i have been very impressed by every Motion Pro tool I have purchased. This thing is incredible:

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0161/

Folds into a pouch and you can damn near disassemble your bike with it.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:41 AM   #58031
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,547
Quote:
Putting that 140/80 18 Mefo Super Explorer on the rear was a pain. I had to modify the tab on the swing arm that the chain guard slides onto due to the width of the tire.

Got any pics of the modification? I almost bought one of those MEFO's when I bought my last set of tires. I think I'll try one when these(which aren't even on the bike yet) wear out.

bwalsh screwed with this post 04-28-2013 at 06:12 PM
bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #58032
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,467
Quote:

I'm curious, how much did that Mefo cost? Keep us updated with how it works out on the street and offroad! Looks like a great 50/50 kinda tire.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:08 AM   #58033
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,296
I was playing with a Mefo like that at the Honda shop last week. Mefo's Stone Master is something that I would like to give a try one of these days.

I always like to watch a few of the Youtube videos of pro bike techs mounting tires before I head to the garage... gives me faith that it can be done easily. Then the cussing starts What really frustrates me is I have had occasions where a tire literally falls onto the rim. Others fight me to the death. I think the problem yesterday was that the tire was not warm enough. I had it out in the sun for about an hour, but it was late in the day. Cold tires SUCK!

Gonna stay tuned for the report on the Mefo.

Quote:

To This

ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #58034
dramatime
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Need to get a slip on exhaust and wanting to go with the DG exhaust cause its 100 or so cheaper than the rest. Anyone have experience with this.
dramatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #58035
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramatime View Post
Need to get a slip on exhaust and wanting to go with the DG exhaust cause its 100 or so cheaper than the rest. Anyone have experience with this.
It is loud.
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote