Oddometer: 5,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
I've been doing this for years too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
+1
Is there any other way?

And how about sitting at a stop light with the bike with the bike in first and holding the clutch? Excuses include the belief they can get out of the way quicker if someone is fixin to rear-end them. Putting the right foot down and keeping the left on the peg should allow instant pop into first and gone...
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #58292
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
Neutral at a red light? Never for me.

Aimed at a gap, in 1st, one eye on the mirror, ready to get the hell outta the way!

I think the astonishment, though, is that neutral is pretty hard to find from 2nd on the big red latte-getter. Can't do it on mine, at least not with my MX boots on.
Oops... meant no offense... guess I've just been at it a good bit longer. Takes me no time to pop it in first and take off. Do have gap or other excape picked out. But no point in ragging out my clutch and hand for no reason.

Pretty much always pop it into neutral from second when stopping. Don't do many traffic control lights on the BRP, though.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 05-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #58293
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
Works every time. My assumption is the crap-tastic gas we have rapidly loses it's whoopee due to evaporation in the bowl, but maybe it just covers for some other issue? I've been doing this for a year or two now if my '04 has been parked for more than a week or so. ...
Yep. The whoop-dee-doo was whooped and went.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #58294
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
I redid mine a few weeks ago. The most time consuming part is cleaning the board of the potting. The rest is cake.
Yeah that was a blast! I gave up scraping and took the wire brush to it.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:50 PM   #58295
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bonehead View Post
So, do any of you guys run lectron carbs? My boy is running across the US this summer so he is going from sea level to mountain passes.
Thoughts?
Personally I have never heard of lectron carbs before, but that probably doesn't mean much. If you are just worried about altitude changes, then save your money. The stock CV carb handles that just fine. I have had my bike from sea level to 11,300 feet with no rideabilty problems.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #58296
Tram@RN
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Dreaming about the xr 650 L since 2000 and finally May 2, 2013 it came true. I think at 6'4 I make this bike look a little small. Ha Ha, Built just for me.

The 650 went from truck to driveway, to parents house, to field and then to miles of weyerhauser land....what a great time. Can't wait till tomorrow, new day, new places to explore.

Tram@RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:52 PM   #58297
dramatime
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Just dropped the 650r front sprocket and a DIDvx2 chain on the mistress today. My old chain must a been a day away from poppin off cuz I feel the torquey response immediately.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:34 AM   #58298
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Are you gonna ride it to California to complete the sale???

Ha ha, but no. Just trying to show that he has other options besides buying a newer bike. These bikes have changed so little since their introduction. Most of the differences are cosmetic.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:09 AM   #58299
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
...Wheres that ONandUP fella,,he`ll back me up... ...
Don't worry B, I got your back. Just kinda slow and sometimes miss the boat entirely.
OnandUp - I like it! Now if I could just get to it; I NEED a ride.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:41 AM   #58300
ID XR600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
TechforLife CDI Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
but..........but........ i like a clean helmet.......

You wouldn`t wear someone elses old underwear without cleaning them would ya

You just can`t take a good teasing......suck it up Fritz

I promise not to tease you about head cooties,honest i do

Wheres that ONandUP fella,,he`ll back me up...

Hey Fritz,,can i get on an easy pay plan,,i`ll send you money till it`s paid,,then you can send it....i`m up to my ears in payments this month

Maybe i can fix more CDI`s and make some spare cash,,anybody want a CDI fixed

B
I attempted a "CDI Repair" testimonial a couple of days ago on my phone,,,fat fingers on virtual keyboards using TAPATALK is a joke.

Techforlife can fix up your CDI by mail in less time than you can get the tools out, watch a YouTube video, and have a beer. Not to mention my soldering skills are as clumsy as typing on a virtual keyboard.

Thanks again Mr.Life.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:27 AM   #58301
smokeeater495
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
Clarke 4.7 gal. tank gas cap o-ring

Has anyone had to replace the o-ring inside the cap of their Clarke tank? Mine has disintegrated and Clarke wants to sell me the entire cap. I'm looking for an aftermarket alternative.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:30 AM   #58302
Deliverator
not a replicant

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeeater495 View Post
Has anyone had to replace the o-ring inside the cap of their Clarke tank? Mine has disintegrated and Clarke wants to sell me the entire cap. I'm looking for an aftermarket alternative.
I'm using one of these:

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...rke-Fuel-Tanks
Old 05-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #58303
my6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
I've got a perfectly functioning Clarke gas cap that's been listed in the FS forum since the 11th of last month. I'll even throw in the tank and the petcock with it...
Old 05-04-2013, 08:11 AM   #58304
Hazman27
The Haz

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Can you cut a gasket out, like the old Mr. Gasket kit, probably available at AutoZone. My mom and pop hardware store has the best selection of o-rings
Hazman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #58305
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

Oddometer: 991
Quote:
What about these guys?

http://justgastanks.com/index.php?cPath=153_154_155_210
1Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote