Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #58336
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250 View Post
So... changing fork oil on the XRL this afternoon. I've never done it on this bike but have done three others. Two of those were USD's, the other a conventional (DRZ). I had a couple "firsts" in the process.

#1: The old oil that came out smells like gear oil but is runnier and bluish. I don't remember fork oil, even old stuff, smelling like gear oil.

#2: Both forks had this set up on top of the spring and just under the cap:

The writing on the mini spring says "eibach 37/96" and "made in Germany". The bigger spring that was under the thin washer looks like it has the same gap between all the coils but looks shorter than I would expect. I've heard about Eibach springs but never seen any or even looked them up on the internet. I'm guessing this bike has a set installed but I'm not sure. Also have no idea about the rating. Is there special oil I need to use? Hope not 'cuz I hadn't planned on spending a bunch of $$$ on high grade oil for a bike I'm planning to sell. The bike is a 1994 model.

Suggestions? Comments?
You can buy fork oil or a lot of people use automatic transmission fluid.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #58337
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
You can buy fork oil or a lot of people use automatic transmission fluid.
Got that already.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:41 PM   #58338
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvincullumyork View Post
Can you air up the front forks with a bike pump? If so how much pressure can you put in?
Yes, you WANT to use a bike pump, no air compressor. Only supposed to put 6 psi max in the forks.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #58339
CJSteves
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Value Question?

Hi All - Hopefully this isn't too vague or in the wrong place. I'm new to the dual sport world, but I'm looking for a Honda XR650L.

I've found a 2002 locally with only 2,200 miles on it. Looks very clean, all stock, has not been abused or really ridden very much.

Owner is asking $3,200, Kelly Blue Book is +/- $2,500. How much on top of the KBB base price is justifiable for the low mileage and good condition?

Again, hope it's OK to ask this here, ADV Rider has been an invaluable resource so far in this adventure!

*Edited for typo

CJSteves screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 07:46 PM
CJSteves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #58340
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSteves View Post
Hi All - Hopefully this isn't too vague or in the wrong place. I'm new to the dual sport world, but I'm looking for a Honda XR650L.

I've found a 2002 locally with only 2,200 miles on it. Looks very clean, all stock, has not been abused or really ridden very much.

Owner is asking $3,200, Kelly Blue Book is +/- $2,500. How much on top of the KBB base price is justifiable for the low mileage and good condition?

Again, hope it's OK to ask this here, ADV Rider has been an invaluable resource so far in this adventure!

*Edited for typo
Honestly it depends on the local market, KBB has little if any bearing on bike values for me.

My Super Enduro is $6,800 in excellent condition according to KBB. I've seen maybe one for sale ever at that price. Factor in fuel costs and time to acquire one 800-1,000 miles away and paying a bit more in Montana for what a guy is asking less for in California becomes pretty easy math.

The bike you are looking at is worth whatever the local market will allow it to sell for. Look around locally for other XRL's and do some comparisons. Search other Craigslist and local classifieds. Then make an offer to the seller based on that information. Since you didn't post your location that's all the advice I can give you.
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #58341
EsconDeasy
Ectomorph

Oddometer: 1,440
I paid $2600 for my 2001 with 8000 miles. Mine was owned by an older guy who barely rode it off road so it was clean but the tires, chain, sprokets, sliders were worn out. Street riding kept it clean but that meant I had to spend $$$ making it dirt capable....skid plate, guards, knobbies blah blah...
That said, I don't regret the decision.

Sure that bike you are looking at is SUPER low miles, but the ravages of time were still working on it. Personally I think $2800 would be a good offer...but like V8toilet said, what ever makes you (and the seller) happy.
EsconDeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #58342
EsconDeasy
Ectomorph

Oddometer: 1,440
Spud to the white courtesy phone.....

Revisiting the turn signal question, I've got the bike on the stand for some tune up items and planning to dump these awful Bike Master turn signals.
I recall a couple-hundred pages back, some of you were discussing a rear turn signal alternative that won't fall apart under the stress of off roading and look similar to the stock signals.

Can some one remind me of what brand they are?
EsconDeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:46 PM   #58343
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,372
Ride Report (Teaser)

Out of three XRLs, we managed to bend one frame. I now know for a fact that an XRL will bounce... at least twice Movie Maker is cooking the video now. Hope to get it posted up tomorrow.
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #58344
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,521
I broke the little tab where the taillight mounts to. I need a different bike.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #58345
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
I broke the little tab where the taillight mounts to. I need a different bike.
Was that the last part on the bike that had not been previously bent or broken? the last straw.
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #58346
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
Was that the last part on the bike that had not been previously bent or broken? the last straw.
pretty much. I thought it would take me longer to push the bike. The steel frame, the 350lbs + 6gallons, the money I've spent on spare parts on old tech and before I drop another thou on carb/drivetrain/tires etc... and need to get something more modern and lighter and more indicative of racing. I have 3 spare motors, a late 600 frame with CR250 forks, and a early <1988 frame with swingarm and shock. 4 spare shocks, 3 spare rear wheels, metal tank, et al. Going to keep the XRL for dual sport rides, but I need to sell everything else. Having just spent >1300$ on the motor and all the mods I've done to the bike, I can't justify selling it just now. Maybe later though. The rest is going though.

If anyone wants something before I make a list and put it up in the FM, PM me.

Going for a CRF 450. It's written in pen.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:15 AM   #58347
BenDiesel
uBer n00b

Oddometer: 30
took her out for a spin. just got her licensed yesterday and had to ride her. i dont have my endorcement yet, so i just stuck to the roads close to home. try not to laugh to hard lol
http://youtu.be/lkP6ycCES8Q

broke both the right side turn signals(fixable) and hurt my sholder(hurts less now) first time riding on the streets on any bike lol. time to get the riders safty training lol.

also just realised i forgot to tighten up 2 intake bolts. thats kinda why she run so bad

i saw Schrauberklaus conversion on his dual carb. any one else know of any other conversions? i had a broken choke plastic thingy and honda has them on back order with no eta. i jb welded mine back together and it works ... for now
BenDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:29 AM   #58348
GPrairie_Rider
Dirt Junkie

Oddometer: 931
okay....so i have had walking phnemonia for the past two weeks. Yesterday was my first day up and around. Go for a little ride, my exhaust (stock) split right at the end of it.

Soooo, i do have the SW-Motech subrame kit. I dont wanna beat a dead horse, but what are my options? Can i still not put an aftermarket silencer on it? I was looking on fleabay, the price for a used stock silencer is almost the same as a FMF.

HELP!

Chris
Old 05-06-2013, 06:41 AM   #58349
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDiesel View Post
took her out for a spin. just got her licensed yesterday and had to ride her. i dont have my endorcement yet, so i just stuck to the roads close to home. try not to laugh to hard lol
http://youtu.be/lkP6ycCES8Q

i saw Schrauberklaus conversion on his dual carb. any one else know of any other conversions? i had a broken choke plastic thingy and honda has them on back order with no eta. i jb welded mine back together and it works ... for now
Go to the las 30 seconds of video to save 9 minutes of your life . Sorry for your crash. I think I might've started on a smaller bike if this is your first.

Last, there's a forum thread dedicated to that bike - which is different than the XR650L.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:46 AM   #58350
Goldrok
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Hola amigos

Hi, new to the site. Been lurking for awhile. Just picked up an 07 xr650l. Sure I'm going to need help with this bike so,me thinks I'd better join up so I can ask q's. I'm not sure how to upload photos yet. Guess I'll go ask baldy.

Goldrok screwed with this post 05-06-2013 at 06:51 AM Reason: Fat fingers
Goldrok is offline   Reply With Quote