Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #58426
Boojum
I Miss the PartyBoss

Oddometer: 5,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
I always attach the carb to the air box first. No air box bolts in place. Then I push the carb into the intake boot. If it goes in enough to clamp it you should be good to go. Then install the air box bolts. I can't see my kids XRL from here to confirm.
So I need to unbolt the snorkel from the airbox itself, then clamp it to the carb, then push into the intake? OK, I'll give it a shot in a few hours when I get home....... Speed-O hub thingy (to take up the slack in the front wheel spacing), front brake line, and electronics mounting platform for my trailtech light are all on their way via the Brown Truck.... I'm gonna have this thing on the road by Memorial Day or die trying!

Boojum
Boojum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #58427
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,196
The snorkle stays attached to the air box. You just remove the three air box mounting bolts so it can give you some slack as you press the carb into the intake.

The speedo drive unit can get a plug in to to seal it up. Or a load of sealant.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #58428
zulusafari
E African ADVRDR

Oddometer: 285
Advice

It's never to early to start. Gotta start off a photo so people will read :) Please see questions below...
IMG_4523

Hey guys, needing some advice that might seem all over the place...

First, I nearly had a distaster wipeout on an African highway last week. I was going 100+km (60mph) and hit a massive pot hole that I did not see, as I was riding to close to a lorry (18 wheeler). at the last second I stood up in a crouch and lost it, but by the grace of God kept it up.
So my question is, is it better to stand or sit. I could hav seriously destroyed the wheel and tire on this hole and wonder if taking my body weight off the seat saved it, however, I wonder if by lightening the weight of the bike, it swerved worse than if I had stayed seated. Thoughts? Advise?

5th Gear NX Swap
I know this has been written about extensively. I just wanted to post my specific use and see if there is clear feedback about whether it's worth it for me. I have a 15/48 setup right now. I am getting ready to do 2000 miles of on/off road around Lake Victoria. On my recent highway riding, I realized how high my RPMs were and thought doing the NX gear swap would be perfect for my highway riding. Normally I don't need it as I just ride around town and prefer the extra RMPs whatever gear I'm in. But I'd like the fuel savings and cooler bike on the long ride. (I also plan to do the 2nd gear as well and maybe even a kick start if I can get a parts list, and if they are available)
Thoughts?

Other mods coming up...
Battery relocation (spud)
welding gussets (steve)
remove kickstand safety cutoff (writeup on this?)
Old 05-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #58429
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,527
Whether sitting on the seat or standing on the pegs, the weight on the bike would be the same. What you change is the ability of the bike to move under you and allow you to use your legs to absorb more of the impact.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #58430
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

The real lesson learned is to not follow so closely to the vehicle in front of you.

The NX fifth gear would be an option to dropping the revs and having the engine run cooler. If you were to revert to the OE 15/45 gearing the OE motor doesn't have enough ommph to pull fifth. To install the fifth gear requires a complete engine tear down.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
Old 05-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #58431
zulusafari
E African ADVRDR

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Whether sitting on the seat or standing on the pegs, the weight on the bike would be the same. What you change is the ability of the bike to move under you and allow you to use your legs to absorb more of the impact.
Right, the literal weight is all the same. But if I stand, the bike doesn't absorb all the weight, my legs absorb a lot of my body weight.

So the questions stands, which is better for a sharp, deep hole? Stand to absorb the impact, or stay seated for low center of gravity, etc.?
Old 05-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #58432
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,097
Rumor has it standing will actually lower the center of gravity. I would stand if any large obstruction was in my way
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died. The only thing that comes to those who wait is old age. Too many dreams.... Not enough time. Not Scared of dying. Not scared of living. Just scared of the pain that separates the two...
kenny61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #58433
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulusafari View Post
Right, the literal weight is all the same. But if I stand, the bike doesn't absorb all the weight, my legs absorb a lot of my body weight.

So the questions stands, which is better for a sharp, deep hole? Stand to absorb the impact, or stay seated for low center of gravity, etc.?
I would say standing is better. Absorb more impact, not get bounced off the seat.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #58434
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulusafari View Post
...I nearly had a distaster wipeout on an African highway last week. I was going 100+km (60mph) and hit a massive pot hole that I did not see, as I was riding to close to a lorry (18 wheeler). at the last second I stood up in a crouch and lost it, but by the grace of God kept it up.
So my question is, is it better to stand or sit. I could hav seriously destroyed the wheel and tire on this hole and wonder if taking my body weight off the seat saved it, however, I wonder if by lightening the weight of the bike, it swerved worse than if I had stayed seated...
I agree with Steve. The real lesson is not to follow any vehicle so closely. Always maintain a space cushion in every direction. If you were not following so closely, you would have seen the pothole earlier, and probably would have missed it entirely.

However, if the drop into a hole is unavoidable, I would stand. Standing does lower the center of gravity as your body weight is transferred from the saddle to the foot pegs. Also, you can use your legs and knees to absorb the shock of impact while you are standing.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #58435
GPrairie_Rider
Dirt Junkie

Oddometer: 931
BEULLER???? 2ND POST FROM PAGES BACK, REALLY NEED SOME HELP GUYS!!

Soooo, i do have the SW-Motech subrame kit. I dont wanna beat a dead horse, but what are my options? Can i still not put an aftermarket silencer on it? I was looking on fleabay, the price for a used stock silencer is almost the same as a FMF.

HELP!

Chris
Old 05-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #58436
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjsgptx View Post
BEULLER???? 2ND POST FROM PAGES BACK, REALLY NEED SOME HELP GUYS!!

Soooo, i do have the SW-Motech subrame kit. I dont wanna beat a dead horse, but what are my options? Can i still not put an aftermarket silencer on it? I was looking on fleabay, the price for a used stock silencer is almost the same as a FMF.

HELP!

Chris

Here ya go. OE pipe. $125.00 shipped

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=882859

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

Old 05-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #58437
boboneleg
we can rebuild him.

Oddometer: 768
So I finally got around to stripping the head off my (new to me) bike to find out what is making the 'clacking' sound.

Here is the camchain tensioner, does the spring look right to you as it looks like the end may have snapped off?

There are also some marks inside the head where it mounts.....

Could this be the source of the 'clacking' sound?

The other thing is the head gasket seems to be a 'triple' or is this three head gaskets together?

Sorry the photo is not too clear but it was hard to show it clearly.

Bob.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #58438
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
I would say standing is better. Absorb more impact, not get bounced off the seat.
This^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by boboneleg View Post
So I finally got around to stripping the head off my (new to me) bike to find out what is making the 'clacking' sound.

Here is the camchain tensioner, does the spring look right to you as it looks like the end may have snapped off?

There are also some marks inside the head where it mounts.....

The other thing is the head gasket seems to be a 'triple' or is this three head gaskets together?

Sorry the photo is not too clear but it was hard to show it clearly.

Bob.
I really need to pull the top off my engine and fix it before something goes.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #58439
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,238
Quote:
Rumor has it standing will actually lower the center of gravity. I would stand if any large obstruction was in my way
+1 Stand up..better control too..
B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #58440
pngaudioguy
Just...one...more...

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by boboneleg View Post
Here is the camchain tensioner, does the spring look right to you as it looks like the end may have snapped off? There are also some marks inside the head where it mounts.....

Bob.
I remember some mention of earlier models having a weak spring somewhere, though I seem to recall it being in the gearbox, and I forget the exact year but recall it was upgraded by Honda mid to late 2000's.

This, is a triple (or tripel, if you will):

If you end up over this way, PM me - I'll be in the land with the best water on the planet (Belgium) for a few more years, and happy to go for a ride with a fellow XRL rider. Spare bed available and space in the garage for your steed. Enough tools to fix most things. Only have ~300 beers on hand at the moment so don't get too thirsty... Offer stands for all you XRL FF's. Have pets, allergics beware.
pngaudioguy is offline   Reply With Quote