Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #58486
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
I totally agree with ThumperRed--keep your mouth shut, to avoid exposure as the fool you really are. I have no idea what the engineers are talking about--BUT I REALLY DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS GIRL. WTH?

Nice tan, by the way.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #58487
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,098
I thought it was a good lesson on balance in the standing position
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died. The only thing that comes to those who wait is old age. Too many dreams.... Not enough time. Not Scared of dying. Not scared of living. Just scared of the pain that separates the two...
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #58488
antpatterson
XR650L_High_Runner

Oddometer: 378
So my XR is running funny, me and my dad believe it has SOMETHING to do with the choke, when you gas on it too much it pops and bogs down like the choke is on but it's not, we pull the choke cable down and rev it some and it is fine, let go and it does it. With the choke lever off it does it, pull it in to cut it on and it's fine so we're trying to figure it out, I have work in a few so we're not taking the gas tank off until Sunday and we're hoping it may be pinched or something somewhere under the new Clarke tank I put on and hopefully it did not run on choke like this long to do any damage. We're just looking for ideas and thank you.
XR80r
2008 XCRW450
antpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #58489
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,692
If it's better with the airbox side cover off, it's too rich (jetting, flooding, or 'choke' slider not closing all the way).

If it's worse with it off, it was lean (or maybe it's not a jetting issue)
Old 05-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #58490
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
I don't know how many people have studied statics, but the center of gravity is definitely lowered when a rider stands on the foot pegs. Ask any Civil Engineer. Civil Engineers don't study a single class in statics, then abandon the topic. Civil Engineers work with statics all the time. You can't design a bridge without thoroughly understanding statics.

The motorcycle has it's own center of gravity. When the rider is seated, most of his weight is applied to the top of the saddle. When the rider stands, most of his weight is transferred to the foot pegs. Shifting most of the rider's weight to the foot pegs lowers the center of gravity of the combined mass of the rider and the motorcycle. That's why people also try to place cargo lower on the motorcycle when they are loading the bike for a trip.

Spud
Sorry Spud , but you're wrong here. Try looking at it like this. If you lay the bike on it's side on a lenghthwise 2x4 , I would estimate the balance point [ center of gravity] to be about cylinder height if the bike were upright. Now , if you took a rider standing on the pegs and froze him , you could have him in the same position on the bike while on it's side. Now the balance point is going to be closer to seat height , if the bike were upright.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:23 PM   #58491
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by antpatterson View Post
So my XR is running funny, me and my dad believe it has SOMETHING to do with the choke, when you gas on it too much it pops and bogs down like the choke is on but it's not, we pull the choke cable down and rev it some and it is fine, let go and it does it. With the choke lever off it does it, pull it in to cut it on and it's fine so we're trying to figure it out, I have work in a few so we're not taking the gas tank off until Sunday and we're hoping it may be pinched or something somewhere under the new Clarke tank I put on and hopefully it did not run on choke like this long to do any damage. We're just looking for ideas and thank you.

Your information is sort of confusing.

Disconnect the choke cable from the lever and what happens?
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7

fritzcoinc screwed with this post 05-09-2013 at 02:40 PM
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #58492
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Sorry Spud , but you're wrong here. Try looking at it like this. If you lay the bike on it's side on a lenghthwise 2x4 , I would estimate the balance point [ center of gravity] to be about cylinder height if the bike were upright. Now , if you took a rider standing on the pegs and froze him , you could have him in the same position on the bike while on it's side. Now the balance point is going to be closer to seat height , if the bike were upright.
What you are leaving out is that the bike pivots at the point of the riders load on the bike when he is standing, the pegs. Since the weight of the rider is attached to the bike at this low point and the bike is free to sway fore and aft the CG is shifted lower. As soon as the bike deviates from straight with the rider standing centrifugal force moves the CG up.

What if you stood on the handlebars? Where would the CG be? Now move that load down to the pegs.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
Old 05-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #58493
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,544
M/C Center of Gravity Thread

Lotsa' inmates pissing in each others' faces about COG in the following thread.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248172

Old 05-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #58494
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
I totally agree with ThumperRed--keep your mouth shut, to avoid exposure as the fool you really are. I have no idea what the engineers are talking about--BUT I REALLY DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS GIRL. WTH?

Nice tan, by the way.
A wise man
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #58495
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,098
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died. The only thing that comes to those who wait is old age. Too many dreams.... Not enough time. Not Scared of dying. Not scared of living. Just scared of the pain that separates the two...
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #58496
Kenno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Fuel economy

Current situation is 14/45 spockets, 130/90-18 tyre, Daves full mods 55pilot/160 main running sweet but 15 kilometres per litre.
Thinking if I gear up to 15/40 sprockets I can come down to the stock 152 main jet because at 100kph on a 130/90-18 tyre I will not run lean at 3500rpm and the smaller main may also reduce fuel flow a touch for the needle range.
I posed the problem in the middle of a cog pile of shit before but has anyone tried this or considered it.
Which jet changes have folks found give the most significant changes?
I like the bottom end punch with the Daves mods but feel the top end will never be utilised on this bike, I have XR600's for that.
Point me to a previous discussion if need be, I know there is a lot of knowledge here and I want it

PM's welcome if you are shy.

Thanks in advance
Ken

"Parts left out cost nothing and cause no service problems" (Kettering)
Kenno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #58497
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenno View Post
Current situation is 14/45 spockets, 130/90-18 tyre, Daves full mods 55pilot/160 main running sweet but 15 kilometres per litre.
Thinking if I gear up to 15/40 sprockets I can come down to the stock 152 main jet because at 100kph on a 130/90-18 tyre I will not run lean at 3500rpm and the smaller main may also reduce fuel flow a touch for the needle range.
I posed the problem in the middle of a cog pile of shit before but has anyone tried this or considered it.
Which jet changes have folks found give the most significant changes?
I like the bottom end punch with the Daves mods but feel the top end will never be utilised on this bike, I have XR600's for that.
Point me to a previous discussion if need be, I know there is a lot of knowledge here and I want it

PM's welcome if you are shy.

Thanks in advance
Ken
The engine runs off the pilot jet most of it's running time. You should be OK with a 52 there. 50 is OEM on a lot of these bikes.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #58498
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexLeroy View Post
Lotsa' inmates pissing in each others' faces about COG in the following thread.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248172

OK, I'll add CG ascertainment to my list.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #58499
Kenno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Cheers,
found the TT discussion as well, 52,55,155&158 jets are on order in case I am not happy with a certain combo down low which i need.
Will go to 15/40 for the big dirt highway runs which will give me top gear back and lift me to 18kpl (41mpg) before jet changes. Will keep a 14 in the bag for the 1100 dunes on the desert crossing so i can still hold 2nd gear fully loaded.
Now wondering if my enrichener has an eroded seat, found the spring broken in there when i got the bike and it was always partially open when the PO rode it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
The engine runs off the pilot jet most of it's running time. You should be OK with a 52 there. 50 is OEM on a lot of these bikes.

"Parts left out cost nothing and cause no service problems" (Kettering)
Kenno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:49 PM   #58500
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post

Nice tan, by the way.

Probably a spray-on version.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote